Olusola (Shola) Jimoh

Dominic94

Olusola Jimoh
Born April 8th 2008,

Birthplace: Newcastle 

Position Forward

Team: York United 

About time he gets his own thread, it’s early but he’s got some skill and the ability to beat players 1v1 that we don’t see in Canada. Not sure if anyone has highlights but I’ve seen a few times where he’s humiliated defenders in these situations… be it with speed or skill or a clever play… he’s scored a few and his goal today was a thing of beauty. He may be the best young player in the CPL. I guess he has an English passport but played for our youth teams. 

not sure if any insiders have seen him but I would think he’s gotta be up there for the 2008’s. 

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Olusola Jimoh
Born April 8th 2008,

Position Forward

Team: York United 

About time he gets his own thread, it’s early but he’s got some skill and the ability to beat players 1v1 that we don’t see in Canada. Not sure if anyone has highlights but I’ve seen a few times where he’s humiliated defenders in these situations… be it with speed or skill or a clever play… he’s scored a few and his goal today was a thing of beauty. He may be the best young player in the CPL. I guess he has an English passport but played for our youth teams. 

not sure if any insiders have seen him but I would think he’s gotta be up there for the 2008’s. 

I don’t particularly remember whether he stood out at the CONCACAF U15 or not. Says he played 4 matches and scored no goals but not sure how many minutes he got or whether he seemed to be a threat or not.

44 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

https://canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=56575

It seems like by age 6 he was in Canada, maybe earlier.

46 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

he’s got some skill and the ability to beat players 1v1 that we don’t see in Canada.

...and raised in Brampton. It's the power of Brampton once more.

• jordan changed the title to Olusola (Shola) Jimoh
29 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

His reaction time and execution is impressive for any player, let alone one that young. That’s top quality l.

He probably doesn’t get the space and time to make that initial interception in a better league, but the angle and power he hits his shot with puts that goal in the net in many leagues. 

He had two teammates to his right with pretty clear shots- I think a lot of players would’ve elected to make the pass, so the fact he took a tough shot from that angle says a lot.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He probably doesn’t get the space and time to make that initial interception in a better league, but the angle and power he hits his shot with puts that goal in the net in many leagues. 

He had two teammates to his right with pretty clear shots- I think a lot of players would’ve elected to make the pass, so the fact he took a tough shot from that angle says a lot.

The reaction was so quick, I think he gets it off still, but does that mistake happen ? No it does not. His execution was so quick. 

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The reaction was so quick, I think he gets it off still, but does that mistake happen ? No it does not. His execution was so quick. 

That’s more what I meant. That whole play- lobbing a lazy cross across your goal line, catching a CB stargazing and allowing you to get in close and poach it, all of that probably doesn’t happen in a league any better than the CPL. But he had a golden opportunity and played it perfectly. 

Lesser players might have tried rolling it in towards the left side with the defender sliding in and the keeper having a good enough angle to make a size, so lifting it over them and picking the corner is such a good move. 

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s more what I meant. That whole play- lobbing a lazy cross across your goal line, catching a CB stargazing and allowing you to get in close and poach it, all of that probably doesn’t happen in a league any better than the CPL. But he had a golden opportunity and played it perfectly. 

Lesser players might have tried rolling it in towards the left side with the defender sliding in and the keeper having a good enough angle to make a size, so lifting it over them and picking the corner is such a good move. 

Yeah agreed, crazy he’s only 16 and a half basically, going to be one to watch.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With English nationality he should have no problem with options for the future. Will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

As much as it would be gutting to lose him to England, it would be a huge boost to the CPL that someone was identified and developed there who played for the three lions.  Of course, I am getting way ahead of myself but I am just saying that for this one even if we ultimately lost him to them, it would be a win for us in another way. 

I'm guessing CanadaFan did not mean international options, but club options.  He can sign overseas as a minor if he has UK citizenship, whereas another 16-year old in his position couldn't.  As good as he has looked, I can't see the England youth sides looking past all the youth currently playing in the UK to pick Shola.  Maybe I'm wrong, though.