Toronto FC - 2025 Season Thread

Big_M

6 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Whether this is exactly true or not, this type of thing is what I'd like to see the team change.  There's no reason they can't do better on that front.

I admit I'm half joking but it sure feels like its right

23 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Whether this is exactly true or not, this type of thing is what I'd like to see the team change.  There's no reason they can't do better on that front.

Perhaps worth remembering that players like Stefan Mitrovic, Jacen Russell-Rowe and Kwasi Poku went through the TFC academy in relatively recent times. If there's a problem it appears to be more whether they have been identifying who the best prospects were to push through to the first team.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I admit I'm half joking but it sure feels like its right

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Perhaps worth remembering that players like Stefan Mitrovic, Jacen Russell-Rowe and Kwasi Poku went through the TFC academy in relatively recent times. If there's a problem it appears to be more whether they have been identifying who the best prospects were to push through to the first team.

Yeah.  I think they do have some trouble figuring out which players to push through.  In fairness, that's probably not a uniquely TFC problem.

What I think TFC does much more poorly than most teams is moving their prospects from their initial first team bench/substitute minutes into full time starters.  The biggest recent example would be Shaffelburg.  He got a bunch of appearance with TFC but never got to be a regular starter.  Now he's a regular first eleven in Nashville and lighting it up for the national team.  TFC had a lot to do with his development but then lost out on the benefit of the final product.  That's a huge waste of resources for TFC and would have been a waste for Shaffelburg if he hadn't been traded to a team that gave him that starter opportunity.

And Shaffelburg isn't the only guy with a similar story.  I don't want to pretend that everyone TFC brought to the first team would have become the next big thing, because that simply isn't true.  They gave Akinola a real shot and he was a bust while other guys went elsewhere and still didn't break out.  But I have to wonder what it would have meant for both the players and TFC if timely starting opportunities could have been given to guys like Jordan Hamilton or Liam Fraser.

On 10/6/2024 at 1:29 AM, Big_M said:

Under contract for 2025

Bernardeschi
Edwards
Etienne Jr
Flores
Gomis
Insigne
Johnson
Laryea
Longstaff
Mailula (out on loan until July 31 2025)
Mbongue
Osorio
Pearlman
Petretta
Rosted
Sharp
Stefanovic
Wingo

Also, I didn’t realize how many of these guys were still guaranteed for 2025.   That makes things even worse for an effort at rebuilding as there are several I’d prefer not to see back. 

He can say full rebuild all he wants, look at the list of guys signed for 25, prob 6-7 starters there.  And another couple are on options that the team will prob pick up.  the bulk of this team will be back next year. 

Fix the DP situation, bring in a couple of decent MLS quality guys and you'll improve on last year.  Who actually had good years??   Kerr and Spicer with limited minutes showed some promise.  Johnson and thats about it.  Owusu getting 9 goals as the #1 striker isnt the worst but not good enough for a team with high expectations that splashes money around.  Long Gomis and Oniell as the top 3 CB's....well that explains the goals against and the shitty season tight there.  They just cant seem to find a decent CB anywhere, and that one guy could have really righted the ship this season and could get them solidly in the playoff picture next year.  

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Talk is cheap

Great point. During the last transfer window, all we heard from Herdman was "we will be very active". Then Hernandez talks and says "we have no cap space to make moves".

Typical Herdman BS, but how does that stuff even get out there?

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

MLSE President Keith Pelley on Toronto FC today: “A rebuild in MLS can happen very quickly.”

Umm...TFC version 2021, 2022, 2023, 2204 would like to have a word.

Pelley's actually not wrong - only two players remain from the 2021 roster - Osorio and Laryea.  Problem is TFC seems to be able to change the personnel, but not the results.