U-21 Minutes

Just thought I'd bring up this topic, and add some commentary on the current U-21 minutes in the league right now.

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,461
York United FC 2,727
Vancouver FC 2,714
Cavalry FC 1,880
Forge FC 1,852
Atlético Ottawa 1,844
Valour FC 1,719
Halifax Wanderers FC 1,683

Pacific seems to be going back to their year 1 strategy, which is to invest huge amounts into youth development, in the hops it pays dividends for a few years from now and produce a winner.

I think Cavalry and Atletico's recent rut of draws may have something to do with these numbers. The need to get back to close to 90 for the last game of the season may have been what has pushed them into their recent slump.

I think Forge has shown just how crucial it is to find a single great U-21 product and invest in him to make these minutes in Kwasi Poku. It's exactly why we need this league.

Halifax and Valour are going to be in real tight spots if they don't address these numbers soon. It would be heartbreak if they squeak into the playoffs and get DQ'd for not making minutes.

Edited by -Hammer-
Wording on Pacific needed fixing

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

Just thought I'd bring up this topic, and add some commentary on the current U-21 minutes in the league right now.

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,461
York United FC 2,727
Vancouver FC 2,714
Cavalry FC 1,880
Forge FC 1,852
Atlético Ottawa 1,844
Valour FC 1,719
Halifax Wanderers FC 1,683

Pacific seems to be going back to their year 1 strategy, which is to invest huge amounts into youth development, in the hops it pays dividends for a few years from now and produce a winner.

I think Cavalry and Atletico's recent rut of draws may have something to do with these numbers. The need to get back to close to 90 for the last game of the season may have been what has pushed them into their recent slump.

I think Forge has shown just how crucial it is to find a single great U-21 product and invest in him to make these minutes in Kwasi Poku. It's exactly why we need this league.

Halifax and Valour are going to be in real tight spots if they don't address these numbers soon. It would be heartbreak if they squeak into the playoffs and get DQ'd for not making minutes.

It would be a fully deserved and avoidable DQ and I wouldn't feel bad for either team were it to occur.

There is another thread for this already, though. Perhaps a mod can merge.

I had a random idea, please tell me why it would be terrible and not work. With the emphasis on developing players and u21 minutes in the CPL:

'CPL u21 All-Star Game'.

Initial idea would be:

• The best ~18 young players in the CPL combined together in one team vs an invitational team that changes each year.
  • Only players eligible to count for the u21 minutes criteria. 
  • Could be played mid season against a European u21 team. e.g Manchester United u21s
  • Could be played in the winter such as BC place vs Vancouver Whitecaps MLS next pro or some other MLS reserve team.

Pro's:

• More high profile minutes for young upcoming Canadian players and incentive to get in the CPL u21 ALL-STAR Team!
  • Extra game to sell tickets to and broadcast, especially if they attract Real Madrid u21s for example. More media and fan interest.
  • Chance to host an All-Star game without it feeling too disruptive to the main CPL season.
  • Lots of European u21 teams come to Canada in the summer anyway. Sunderland, Ipswich etc
  • Cements the idea that CPL is the place to watch future up coming Canadian players.

Obvious cons could be, would anyone care or even watch it? Would a CPL u21 All-Star Team even be that good?

In my opinion it would be more interesting and less tacky than a traditional CPL all-star game.

Edited by Sonny Heung-min

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,554 (+93)
Vancouver FC 2,863 (+149)
York United FC 2,828 (+101)
Cavalry FC 2,060 (+180)
Forge FC 1,925 (+73)
Atlético Ottawa 1,889 (+45)
Valour FC 1,835 (+116)
Halifax Wanderers FC 1,702 (+19)

Minutes remaining final two matches

Forge - 75 minutes (37.5/match)

Ottawa - 111 minutes (55.5/match)

Valour - 165 minutes (82.5/match)

HFX - 298 minutes (154/match)

For HFX, I'm guessing we'll see Jefferson Alphonse play full 90s both matches, Aidan Rushenas will need to start one game, and Tiago Coimbra will mop up the remaining sub minutes

Valour probably starts Binate and Sanchez and hope to log up the minutes

Ottawa will start Tyr Walker and Forge will start Amadou Kone.

Have to think teams will try and get as much next matchday and not risk the 28th match red card/injury (especially Valour who only have 3 U21s on the roster)

3 hours ago, rydermike said:
Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,554 (+93)
Cavalry FC 2,060 (+180)
Forge FC 1,925 (+73)
Valour FC 1,835 (+116)

For HFX, I'm guessing we'll see Jefferson Alphonse play full 90s both matches, Aidan Rushenas will need to start one game, and Tiago Coimbra will mop up the remaining sub minutes

Have to think teams will try and get as much next matchday and not risk the 28th match red card/injury (especially Valour who only have 3 U21s on the roster)

Cavalry is the 4th team to meet the requirement.

Valour and HFX still have a way to go.

4 hours ago, rydermike said:
Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,554 (+93)
Cavalry FC 2,060 (+180)
Forge FC 1,925 (+73)
Valour FC 1,835 (+116)

the 27th game for valour is vs vancouver and if they lose they are eliminated...they gotta think about u21 minutes but also get a result there

One game left

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,722 (+218)
Vancouver FC 2,987 (+124)
York United FC 2,919 (+89)
Cavalry FC 2,150 (+90)
Atlético Ottawa 1,952 (+63)
Forge FC 1,949 (+24)
Valour FC 1,924 (+89)
Halifax Wanderers FC 1,875 (+173)

Remaining

Ottawa - 48 minutes

Forge - 51 minutes

Valour - 76 minutes

HFX - 125 minutes

Halifax is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, so they can just play all their youth guys. The other teams basically need to start one U21 player at least to get the minutes (or use multiple as subs) 

Edited by rydermike

8 hours ago, rydermike said:

One game left

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC 4,722 (+218)
Vancouver FC 2,987 (+124)
York United FC 2,919 (+89)
Cavalry FC 2,150 (+90)
Atlético Ottawa 1,952 (+63)
Forge FC 1,949 (+24)
Valour FC 1,924 (+89)
Halifax Wanderers FC 1,875 (+173)

Remaining

Ottawa - 48 minutes

Forge - 51 minutes

Valour - 76 minutes

HFX - 125 minutes

Halifax is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, so they can just play all their youth guys. The other teams basically need to start one U21 player at least to get the minutes (or use multiple as subs) 

will binate hanson sanchez get subbed in at the 64th minute and combine for the game winner to send valour to the playoffs for the first time in their history??