Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bear in mind though that there were still lots of relatively recent first and second generation immigrants of Scottish extraction living in Southern Ontario at that time. Emigration from Scotland to Canada was still happening on a reasonably large scale into the 1970s. I kept running into people I knew from London, Ont in that regard throughout that evening and I didn't know all that many Scottish people from London at the time. Maybe a few dozen.

Doubt there would have been all that many fans there who flew over from Scotland although there no doubt would have been some. CMNT friendlies in Toronto in that era were often about which visting countries would have the fans needed locally to help cover the costs. Without that crowds would have been small. The Panama game this week shows that the CSA might finally be able to start using CMNT friendlies against CONCACAF teams that can't provide that attendance boost to start generating some significant revenue.  

Funniest thing I remember from the 1992 Scotland game was that I am 99% certain I wound up sitting behind David Gilmour of the CBC and as a refined arts critic he was definitely less than impressed by some of what the more inebriated Scotland fans were getting up to in his immediate vicinity.

Yes I know the vast majority didn't travel from Scotland for the game. I explained that I was 12, and I assumed at the time when I first saw the crowd. It was explained to me that night (either my coach or when I got home to my parents) what was actually going on.

19 hours ago, GasPed said:

I believe the argument is that when things boil over, it's generally not because of what the ref did at that moment; it's because of what they did (or didn't do) in the minutes prior.

That said, I personally think Penso did a very creditable job last night.  I like her "handsy" style (I think it calms the boys down a bit), and while it's true she may have kept her whistle in her pocket too much, if she had called more fouls it would've detracted from the game in other ways.

What I'm also saying though is that a ref is always judged in hindsight - the game went quite smoothly, so she did a great job.  If it hadn't (and it was close to not - we're lucky Cornelius and Murillo are OM teammates), there'd be lots of second-guessing today. 

Good explanation. I’d love to compare her performance in the friendly with a competitive game vs some of the more dark arts teams. That game would really be impacted by what she does before things boil over.

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Panama is a class side that deserves respect. Clear #4 in CONCACAF and there’s a reason they were ranked higher than us. They get results. 

They're missing that higher offensive gear savoir faire that makes you uneasy for a whole match.  Christiansen gets the most out of the guys he has and they are always a tough out, like CR, so they are a good opponent to face.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

I really don't think they played dirty. Physical sure and maybe too much for a friendly but I'd rather that then a stroll in the park that we can't learn anything from. Don't remember any particularly egregious tackles other than late bumps and hard but fair tackles.

It's not about their style of play that was unclassy. It's was about their behavior that was unclassy. All that for a friendly game. Being mean to the women referee. Pushing the women referee.  Yelling at the women referee. Wasting time. During throws. Or kicking the ball when there's a call against them. And looking for fights against us. Etc.

1 minute ago, ahmedou said:

It's not about their style of play that was unclassy. It's was about their behavior that was unclassy. All that for a friendly game. Being mean to the women referee. Pushing the women referee.  Yelling at the women referee. Wasting time. During throws. Or kicking the ball when there's a call against them. And looking for fights against us. Etc.

I'd say their play was dirty. They kicked the ball at Crepeau long after the referee blew his whistle and then wanted to start a scrap. In the first five minutes, they were called on a vicious tackle. Their play was dirty, but it didn't take away from their talent.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes I know the vast majority didn't travel from Scotland for the game. I explained that I was 12, and I assumed at the time when I first saw the crowd. It was explained to me that night (either my coach or when I got home to my parents) what was actually going on.

Hope somebody also explained to you that if it's not Scottish it's crap given Mike Myers was using that as a catchphrase a lot on SNL around that time and he claims to be part of the Scottish diaspora in GTA terms.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hope somebody also explained to you that if it's not Scottish it's crap given Mike Myers was using that as a catchphrase a lot on SNL around that time and he claims to be part of the Scottish diaspora in GTA terms.

He does? He has said on many occasions that his parents are from Liverpool.

Don't know what happened in his family's case but there tended to be quite a lot of mobility in the shipbuilding industry between Liverpool, Glasgow and Belfast so it would be nothing hugely out of the ordinary if there was a strong Scottish angle as well. You can tell from the way he played Fat Bastard in Austin Powers and the father in So I Married an Axe Murderer that he must have spent a lot of time around Scottish people.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Brother one of your tweets showed up on my FYP and I clicked on it and for the last week like half my feed is stuff about the Tunisian National Team 

CSN >>> Twitter

Bro y'all gotta follow me! I've no CSN followers... You gotta show me some love!

I'm doing Canada Soccer propaganda, Montreal propaganda and MLS propaganda to my Tunisians friends and followers tho!

❤️🤍

robin-hood-poor.gif.523e16f352d4be63cdf64bbeca3d82d7.gif

Edited by ahmedou

On 10/18/2024 at 12:48 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I can't remember if I was familiar with him yet. I was soon after though. When I think of him and Scotland, I think of this sketch.