Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Penso tends to put her hands on players constantly so I don't think she's as bothered as other refs who don't want any contact.

I have noticed that, too.  She is pretty "handsy" and personally, as a player, I have never liked that from a ref, regardless of gender, or a coach for that matter.  You can get up relatively close and discuss things but keep your paws off me (unless I am invoved in an altercation with an opponent, which is a different story).

I am probably in the minority on this one but so be it.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I have noticed that, too.  She is pretty "handsy" and personally, as a player, I have never liked that from a ref, regardless of gender, or a coach for that matter.  You can get up relatively close and discuss things but keep your paws off me (unless I am invoved in an altercation with an opponent, which is a different story).

I am probably in the minority on this one but so be it.

That used to be very common in Spain and Latino cultures, but it's disappearing. At least in Spain, though usually if a player touches a ref passively they don't mind. 

I wonder if it's Penso's way of asserting herself. 

8 hours ago, ahmedou said:

Liam's best games were against France and Panama. If Liam plays like that in every games that would be fantastic! Liam is able to reproduce his best games. As Liam got the talent and the grinta. It's all about the mental.

You are either borrowing from Italian or using the feminine of gringo.😁

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That used to be very common in Spain and Latino cultures, but it's disappearing. At least in Spain, though usually if a player touches a ref passively they don't mind. 

I wonder if it's Penso's way of asserting herself. 

It's a control exertion for those in authority.  I think you can gesticulate calmly and closely but do it without touching. (You can also use highly assertive, sharp gestures, but also without touching.) Just my opinion:  others might have no problem with it, so be it.

17 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Any ideas why those ding dongs at One soccer haven't posted the replay? 

I can never understand why you can have a significantly edited highlights package available on Youtube not long after the game's completion but not a far lesser edited full match recording.

Edited by BearcatSA

Someone mentioned the attendance at the game being the highest for a friendly in a long time. I got curious, and looked up the attendance in all of our home friendlies ever. Here are the times we drew over 10000 fans.

image.png.f1c85b78a55a42a5d80bb1c8c13af799.png

Hopefully I didn't miss any. I used Canada Soccer's website and filtered on the word "Friendly". The two games above at the SkyDome didn't show up, presumably because it was a friendly cup rather than just friendlies. Not sure if there are other similar friendly cups not included. I just happened to remember about the SkyDome games so I looked them up specifically.

But yeah, Tuesday's game is the 2nd most attended home friendly for Canada just behind the Brazil game in Edmonton just before the 1994 World Cup. Not bad!

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

Someone mentioned the attendance at the game being the highest for a friendly in a long time. I got curious, and looked up the attendance in all of our home friendlies ever. Here are the times we drew over 10000 fans.

Hopefully I didn't miss any. I used Canada Soccer's website and filtered on the word "Friendly". The two games above at the SkyDome didn't show up, presumably because it was a friendly cup rather than just friendlies. Not sure if there are other similar friendly cups not included. I just happened to remember about the SkyDome games so I looked them up specifically.

But yeah, Tuesday's game is the 2nd most attended home friendly for Canada just behind the Brazil game in Edmonton just before the 1994 World Cup. Not bad!

I was at that Paraguay match at BC Place. 

I'm musing but I think it's the only time I've seen the senior men in Canada.

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

Here’s the crazy thing… numbers 2 and 3 were our last 2 home friendlies. I said after the 2017 home friendly but again: why aren’t we booking home friendlies, growing the game and making $? how the hell have we had to wait 7 years for a bloody home friendly when we drew that number in our last friendly?! I know there were contributing factors but still… 7 years. We’re crying about cash and not playing home friendlies for years. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Penso tends to put her hands on players constantly so I don't think she's as bothered as other refs who don't want any contact. Then Carrasquilla, who's temperamental, is behind he and she doesn't see the intention. 

She did a good job trying to keep a friendly in friendly terms while letting teams compete.

I think she did a good job, but there were a couple times especially at the end where it was really close to not good.  If it wasn't for our big boys intervening and calming it down (e.g. Bair, Cornelius (definitely not Waterman)), it could've gotten out of control.  Not necessarily blaming her for that though.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Here’s the crazy thing… numbers 2 and 3 were our last 2 home friendlies. I said after the 2017 home friendly but again: why aren’t we booking home friendlies, growing the game and making $? how the hell have we had to wait 7 years for a bloody home friendly when we drew that number in our last friendly?! I know there were contributing factors but still… 7 years. We’re crying about cash and not playing home friendlies for years. 

Nations League?

Just now, GasPed said:

I think she did a good job, but there were a couple times especially at the end where it was really close to not good.  If it wasn't for our big boys intervening and calming it down (e.g. Bair, Cornelius (definitely not Waterman)), it could've gotten out of control.  Not necessarily blaming her for that though.

I'm of the opinion that players should understand a friendly is just that, a ref shouldn't need to be heavy handed. She kept cool. There were moments when she smiled back at the player complaining as if to say "really?"

We should be far more concerned that we really didn't put it away until that late and through no fault of the ref.

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

As someone who lives in the Toronto area and was happy to attend last night's match, I would also be happy (or would have been happy, since it appears the decision has already been made) for Montreal or Vancouver to get the Nations League match next month instead of Toronto again, particularly as our players will not be flying in from Europe just before the game because they will be playing down south (possibly all the way to South America from the sounds of it) before flying north anyway. The field at BMO is in terrible shape (even if it looked a little better than the last two TFC games) and I agree with Marsch's sentiments to grow the fanbase across the country. Can't do that very much if you play every game in Toronto (and yes, I know Vancouver is getting the Gold Cup match(es) next year, but we should be playing other matches next year at home just besides that anyway).

Saputo Stadium enters the chat.

I can bring all the Canada Soccer players to Montreal with Megabus. The bills are on me. They just have to sign my jerseys in my bag tho.

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Dare I mention the doomed Iran and Panama friendlies? Those would have been 2 and 3 on the list....

I'm surprised Panama agreed to come back. 

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

Dare I mention the doomed Iran and Panama friendlies? Those would have been 2 and 3 on the list....

I'm surprised Panama agreed to come back. 

We paid them not only costs but the fee for the cancelled friendly in Vancouver, or at least a % of the fee, which would be the standard contractual terms. We lost the gate and revenue and they lost 3 days traveling.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

I actually think she handled that situation incredibly well. What would you have her do differently?

was she supposed to physically separate them? 
she could’ve started frantically blowing the whistle and amped things up. However it’s not her responsibility from preventing stupid plays, whether it’s a stupid tackle or punches thrown. Her job is to reprimand people for it.

In a friendly, she kept her cool, let things settle down and the outcome was good for everyone. 

Not sure it’s fair to say “it ended well but she did a bad job because it could’ve ended poorly”. She read the situation and saw that our guys were calming the situation. She didn’t need to do anything different and if she had done it different, the outcome could’ve changed. 

although I do recognize you aren’t blaming her so my post is somewhat rhetorical 

Edited by Bigandy

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I actually think she handled that situation incredibly well. What would you have her do differently?

was she supposed to physically separate them? 
she could’ve started frantically blowing the whistle and amped things up. However it’s not her responsibility from preventing stupid plays, whether it’s a stupid tackle or punches thrown. Her job is to reprimand people for it.

In a friendly, she kept her cool, let things settle down and the outcome was good for everyone. 

Not sure it’s fair to say “it ended well but she did a bad job because it could’ve ended poorly”. She read the situation and saw that our guys were calming the situation. She didn’t need to do anything different and if she had done it different, the outcome could’ve changed. 

although I do recognize you aren’t blaming her so my post is somewhat rhetorical 

I believe the argument is that when things boil over, it's generally not because of what the ref did at that moment; it's because of what they did (or didn't do) in the minutes prior.

That said, I personally think Penso did a very creditable job last night.  I like her "handsy" style (I think it calms the boys down a bit), and while it's true she may have kept her whistle in her pocket too much, if she had called more fouls it would've detracted from the game in other ways.

What I'm also saying though is that a ref is always judged in hindsight - the game went quite smoothly, so she did a great job.  If it hadn't (and it was close to not - we're lucky Cornelius and Murillo are OM teammates), there'd be lots of second-guessing today. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Definitely too long a gap, but it is far from the biggest gap. We didn't play any home friendlies between June 6th, 1927 and August 1st 1973!!! 46 years!!!