Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

25 minutes ago, Metro said:

Seeing that the consensus regarding Choiniere is that he struggled last night - not that I disagree - just wanted to say his set pieces were exceptional.  

He also forced the goalie to make a great save. 

It wasn't his best performance, but he wasn't poor by any means. Just kind of there. 

5 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not sure what these commentators thought the Canadian players should do in this situation, but "just walk away" is pretty bad advice.

I mean, I would have handled it differently. I wouldn't have walked away, but I would have totally taunted them instead of getting physical. Pointing to the scoreboard, fake tears... so much more fun to troll your opponent than get physical.

1 hour ago, RS said:

I'm not sure what these commentators thought the Canadian players should do in this situation, but "just walk away" is pretty bad advice.

I watched the same commentators and I have to say I agreed with them. This is CONCACA. I could see the game being derailed with the referee giving a red card to a Canadian player, especially Waterman. He's a hothead and has gone rogue a couple of times with CF MTL. But I also have to admit if I were on the pitch I would react more like Waterman.

Edited by Sal333

30 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Which all goes to say we need more home friendlies like this.

As someone who lives in the Toronto area and was happy to attend last night's match, I would also be happy (or would have been happy, since it appears the decision has already been made) for Montreal or Vancouver to get the Nations League match next month instead of Toronto again, particularly as our players will not be flying in from Europe just before the game because they will be playing down south (possibly all the way to South America from the sounds of it) before flying north anyway. The field at BMO is in terrible shape (even if it looked a little better than the last two TFC games) and I agree with Marsch's sentiments to grow the fanbase across the country. Can't do that very much if you play every game in Toronto (and yes, I know Vancouver is getting the Gold Cup match(es) next year, but we should be playing other matches next year at home just besides that anyway).

4 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

This was the first match in a long time where there were no “this ref is crap” comments in the match thread. I thought she was excellent, especially in issuing a deserved yellow in the 5th minute to set the tone. Compare that to the ref in the Mexico match. 
Wouldn’t mind seeing her officiate more Canadian matches down the road.

Should have given Carrasquilla a yellow or more for putting his hands on her late in the game when things got a bit chippy. Perhaps he thought getting a yellow for that would have been worth it though  :)

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Should have given Carrasquilla a yellow or more for putting his hands on her late in the game when things got a bit chippy. Perhaps he thought getting a yellow for that would have been worth it though  :)

Yeah that was pretty egregious. Overall I thought she handled the Panamanian hijinks well. Now that we're surpassing these teams I'm so over CONCACAF shithousing. It appears to be gradually improving.

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I was shocked that there was no yellow for this. Looked bad from where I was sitting in BMO but I haven't seen a video of it

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I agree with Marsch's sentiments to grow the fanbase across the country. Can't do that very much if you play every game in Toronto 

Definitely true.  And I'd like to see games not only in Vancouver and Montreal but also cities that less often get games like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, and, of course, Kingston.

To do this, we should make a point of playing at home way more often during friendly windows.  No more playing Mexico in the US, for example.

6 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Definitely true.  And I'd like to see games not only in Vancouver and Montreal but also cities that less often get games like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, and, of course, Kingston.

To do this, we should make a point of playing at home way more often during friendly windows.  No more playing Mexico in the US, for example.

Play a January "Poutine" camp in SoCal, with one match there and then fly up to BC Place for the second.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I watched the same commentators and I have to say I agreed with them. This is CONCACA. I could see the game being derailed with the referee giving a red card to a Canadian player, especially Waterman. He's a hothead and has gone rogue a couple of times with CF MTL.

That's what I was thinking.  There is a way to send a message to the opponent and a way not too.  I don't trust that guy.

On the other hand, Laryea was pretty composed last night but he is also a first class shithouser I trust much more (though Raposo got under his skin in the Vess Cup final).

15 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Yes, but home games have to make $$$. You generally have to pay expenses and appearance fees to the opponent. So ticket prices and attendance has to be high enough for the CSA to make a profit. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Yes, but home games have to make $$$. You generally have to pay expenses and appearance fees to the opponent. So ticket prices and attendance has to be high enough for the CSA to make a profit. 

True.  I don't necessarily see the Poutine JV squad being a big draw at BC Place.  Taking it to Langford may be better?

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Last night we had 23 000 fans at an estimated average of $50 per ticket for a meaningless friendly against a decidedly second tier opponent.  So revenue of $1.15 million not including anything they may have in place for merchandise, concessions, or media.  I suspect we can make it profitable.

And, by spreading things around a bit, you aren't tapping the same fans all the time.  Maybe Honduras isn't the biggest draw but maybe Winnipeggers or Ottawanians will come out in numbers if they just get a chance to see the NT once every few years.  

9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

True.  I don't necessarily see the Poutine JV squad being a big draw at BC Place.  Taking it to Langford may be better?

Anything like U23 or below should be at CPL venues (and not the CFL venues)

Problem with Canada friendlies is that they need to sell tickets and need to combine that requirement with playing surface and travel. Hence, Toronto most of the time. 

Edited by Mihairokov

12 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Anything like U23 or below should be at CPL venues (and not the CFL venues)

Problem with Canada friendlies is that they need to sell tickets and need to combine that requirement with playing surface and travel. Hence, Toronto most of the time. 

And a better deal than offered by Saputo and others given it is our national soccer stadium.