Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

I don't think either has played poorly, but I do think Eustaquio and Choiniere have been too much of the same thing in the midfield. Both are happy to pressure, win balls, and link up play, but neither seems willing to pick their head up, stay on the ball for more than a half second, and look to make the smart play.

It's all a little too frantic. I wouldn't have said the same a year ago, but this is where we miss Kone, as I don't think any of the bench options have the profile to alter the midfield chemistry.

I do like Ahmed and Laryea in this one. There's a lot of chaos in this one, due to the conditions and whatever else, and those two thrive in the chaos.

2 minutes ago, nolando said:

Shaff looks terrible. @spitfire I just want this on the record. i call them as I see them.

i don't think he has been terrible. He just hasn't settle and looks to be getting bullied and not playing wide enough in my opinion but remember that's how he plays..he's in and out of the game then scores out of nothing..

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I do like Ahmed and Laryea in this one. There's a lot of chaos in this one, due to the conditions and whatever else, and those two thrive in the chaos.

"Chief, I think we got ourselves another agent of KAOS!"

image.jpeg.2a733d57bf46a6fcdf322bfeff55664b.jpeg

Edited by beachesl

Just now, spitfire said:

i don't think he has been terrible. He just hasn't settle and looks to be getting bullied and not playing wide enough in my opinion but remember that's how he plays..he's in and out of the game then scores out of nothing..

Nah, he's hardly had a decent touch on the ball all half.  And no chemistry with Davies.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think either has played poorly, but I do think Eustaquio and Choiniere have been too much of the same thing in the midfield. Both are happy to pressure, win balls, and link up play, but neither seems willing to pick their head up, stay on the ball for more than a half second, and look to make the smart play.

It's all a little too frantic. I wouldn't have said the same a year ago, but this is where we miss Kone, as I don't think any of the bench options have the profile to alter the midfield chemistry.

I agree but that's also on Ahmed and Shaff to support them.

Shaff especially is on and off defending so we see Choniere helping Davies, way over on the side, and Shaff isn't even on screen. You can't be a one way player. 

Jonathan David looks to me to be the best Canadian player on the pitch, the guy is always looking for the right place to be and the right play. 

Surprised the Panama attitude towards the ref, seems a bit sexist to me. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree but that's also on Ahmed and Shaff to support them.

Shaff especially is on and off defending so we see Choniere helping Davies, way over on the side, and Shaff isn't even on screen. You can't be a one way player. 

Jonathan David looks to me to be the best Canadian player on the pitch, the guy is always looking for the right place to be and the right play. 

Surprised the Panama attitude towards the ref, seems a bit sexist to me. 

Not sure about that - I think they'd probably complain/whinge bitterly no matter who was reffing. 

Just now, GasPed said:

Not sure about that - I think they'd probably complain/whinge bitterly no matter who was reffing. 

Maybe I'm wrong. In any case that edginess reminds me of Copa so its fine to see the players not thinking "it's just a friendly". Only a bit exaggerated with Penso. 

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Until he assisted on Larin's goal off the giveaway, I felt that Ahmed was tentative under pressure, not dissimilar to what I saw in his last MLS match.

Shaffelburg also hasn't been impactful.