Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

1 hour ago, clamlinguine said:

I didn't think the game was dreadful or that we played dreadful. I thought Panama played hard, glad we got the deserved win. Good effort😊.

Watched in patches because it clashed with Argentina in BsAs va Bolivia ,  but from what I watched Panama are very well organised and hard as nails and they don't hide a fight as there was a riot and a brawl ,  I dont mind female officials but when there's a beef or bad blood they are like a charicature,  like a cartoon the women just can't control/ contain or restrict a brawl

I like to be as fair as possible in my opinions. I've definitely been hard on Liam Millar a few times in the past... but he was wonderful tonight. Possibly the best I've seen him play in a Canadian shirt. He was all over the place. Wonderful assist that sent BMO Field into absolute rapture. I've never questioned his work ethic, but tonight his end product matched his work ethic and it was wonderful to see. Good on him. 

11 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I like to be as fair as possible in my opinions. I've definitely been hard on Liam Millar a few times in the past... but he was wonderful tonight. Possibly the best I've seen him play in a Canadian shirt. He was all over the place. Wonderful assist that sent BMO Field into absolute rapture. I've never questioned his work ethic, but tonight his end product matched his work ethic and it was wonderful to see. Good on him. 

Jeez you got home quick.  You weren't driving recklessly after taking Brandon home, I hope.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He looked awesome. If I wanted to jump the gun, I’d say he made a convincing argument to regain his starting spot. 

I feel like he and Shaffelburg are almost interchangeable.  They seem to provide the same impact, and they both almost seem more suited to a super-sub role.  Although I guess in that sense they could be a platoon player, one guys plays 60-65 minutes and the other guy comes on for the last half hour to do the same thing, but with fresher legs.

It felt like a dream man. I can't still believe it.

I saw my heroes in front of me. I saw the GOATS Larinho and Davidou scoring.

I saw the Voyageurs in front of me.

And I saw the CSN GOAT @Olympique_de_Marseille in front of me.

It's 3:00AM. And the CSN members are still posting about the game. We're so passionate.

Viva Canada Soccer!

Viva Voyageurs!

Viva CSN!

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

And people were pissy about Toronto getting this game because Torontonians don't show up. Bitch, we got 23k on a cold Tuesday night for a friendly. Fuck outta here.

I mentioned this yesterday but I was impressed that most fans were in their seats by kick off.

This was the first match in a long time where there were no “this ref is crap” comments in the match thread. I thought she was excellent, especially in issuing a deserved yellow in the 5th minute to set the tone. Compare that to the ref in the Mexico match. 
Wouldn’t mind seeing her officiate more Canadian matches down the road.

1 minute ago, Treppy2 said:

This was the first match in a long time where there were no “this ref is crap” comments in the match thread. I thought she was excellent, especially in issuing a deserved yellow in the 5th minute to set the tone. Compare that to the ref in the Mexico match. 

Tori Penso. She does a lot of MLS games too. Her husband, Chris Penso, is also a ref.

4 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

I feel like he and Shaffelburg are almost interchangeable.  They seem to provide the same impact, and they both almost seem more suited to a super-sub role.  Although I guess in that sense they could be a platoon player, one guys plays 60-65 minutes and the other guy comes on for the last half hour to do the same thing, but with fresher legs.

They are exactly that. They are starters for their club, but super subs for Canada. They both play well in limited minutes off the bench. 

We need to unearth more options specifically on that side.

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

There were a few giveaway but also several chances created.  Especially the cross that Bair nearly finished. Even some good tracking back. At this point David is the team's best striker and their best central attacking midfielder. A lot on his shoulders, and I think he handled it just fine tonight.

He’s a perfect Gabriel Jesus replacement for Arsenal with the added bonus of scoring goals!

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

The whole game I kept thinking she cares more about guys walking up the sideline for throw ins than giving yellow cards.

At one point I thought Richie was going to get a yellow for his constant walking 20 yards before throwing it in

It was nice to see a CONCACAF game that wasn't all fouls. She let the play go more than most CONCACAF refs

10 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

The whole game I kept thinking she cares more about guys walking up the sideline for throw ins than giving yellow cards.

At one point I thought Richie was going to get a yellow for his constant walking 20 yards before throwing it in

It was nice to see a CONCACAF game that wasn't all fouls. She let the play go more than most CONCACAF refs

I loved that. I hate when players (we're guilty of it too) walk 10 yards up the sideline or move the ball 3/4 of an inch. Like fuck off, does that really matter? I love that both her and the sideline ref were all over players trying to get unfair advantages. Hope to see more of her! 

Thought the crowd was incredible for a Tuesday night friendly against Panama in the cold. I was thinking 15-17k at most. The fact we got 23k is something so unexpected. 

And it truly is a privelage to watch these players. Bombito is doing some world class Van Dijk shit around the field. Jonathan David looks like one of the best strikers in the world, and Phonzy is just bringing his Bayern LB form to this team. Love every minute of it.

3 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

She did well here, not as well last year imo in the first leg in Jamaica with that free kick restart leading to their goal.

Our tackling was quick and decisive so the Panama players couldn't sell fouls and that helped quite a bit with keeping the play flowing.

I know Marsch's style is his style, but I feel like the field prevented us from playing the blitzkrieg game we wanted to. In better conditions we would have gone up a couple goals and then could have relaxed a little bit. It was inevitable that we would get leggy chasing the basketball around like that. We started to get disorganized when guys got fatigued, the press lost coordination and guys took shortcuts. We needed earlier subs and/or different tactics, I think we all saw the tying goal coming. The athleticism of our defence compensated for a lot of disjointedness but we need to become solidly organized and add the speed and strength on top of that. Overall happy with the win but there were some deficits. We got lucky that the field also made Panama's passing shitty and the ball was given away to us. I think nowadays even in a friendly and blooding some new players we should be destroying Panama. A good CONCACAF grind but we need practice in quality conditions because that's where we'll need to level up against top teams. Great combination by David/Millar on the go ahead goal.

11 minutes ago, Metro said:

Seeing that the consensus regarding Choiniere is that he struggled last night - not that I disagree - just wanted to say his set pieces were exceptional.  

Yeah he dropped the ball in some dangerous spots and we failed to capitalize. When he's on the field he needs to take the free kicks from that side for sure. That's been a longtime weakness for us for some reason.