Friendly match: Canada vs Panama - Tuesday, October 15th - 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I was a big Herdman fan and when he left I didn't think we could get anyone at his level or better. Boy, was I wrong. Marsch has impressed the hell out of me.

This is the boat I am in. I really liked Herdman, and the more of Jesse Marsch we have, the less and less I like Herdman. Probably doesn't help Herdman's case that I'm a TFC fan and he couldn't prevent them from being a disaster this season.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is the boat I am in. I really liked Herdman, and the more of Jesse Marsch we have, the less and less I like Herdman. Probably doesn't help Herdman's case that I'm a TFC fan and he couldn't prevent them from being a disaster this season.

It's reasonable to view Herdman as an improvement from what came before, because he was, and still view Marsch as more preferable yet because he is better than Herdman.

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

I myself have now moved onto the 6 Copa highlights for my pre-match warmups.  Crepeau, David, Shaff and Kone, big thumbs up, Suarez and Rondon lapses, huge thumbs down.  But also plenty of adversity faced.  And so many new players showcased, and delivering.

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

It's reasonable to view Herdman as an improvement from what came before, because he was, and still view Marsch as more preferable yet because he is better than Herdman.

Herdman was better than Floro and all, yes.  Still not so sure about Zambrano if I'm being honest.  Herdman was the right man at that moment. 

It wouldn't have taken much for me to side with Zambrano right before the WC.  The wheels fell off and the only thing that would've gotten us results were moments of brilliance from individual players, nothing Herdman did after securing qualification convinced me he was still the right man for the job.  The selections, formations, energy levels, everything just tanked. 

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

IMO herdman built a culture.

the culture got buy in to the cause, helped recruit duals and shaped an cultural identity that was needed to introduce confidence to the lads. He was tactically savvy enough to get the best out of many of our players. It was a huge step to build a foundation. He also got lucky to get a golden generation. 

marsch is building a squad with a football identity. The tactical requirements is higher for the team, the substitutions are better. It’s basically the next evolution of where herdman capped out.  He also is benefiting from an even better golden generation.  

I didn’t expect us to take the jump so fast but there’s going to be a day when Jesse is capped out too. Teams will learn to do what Mexico did and results will decline. 

hopefully our next manager has an even better golden generation to take us to the next level again.  

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Herdman was better than Floro and all, yes.  Still not so sure about Zambrano if I'm being honest.  Herdman was the right man at that moment. 

It wouldn't have taken much for me to side with Zambrano right before the WC.  The wheels fell off and the only thing that would've gotten us results were moments of brilliance from individual players, nothing Herdman did after securing qualification convinced me he was still the right man for the job.  The selections, formations, energy levels, everything just tanked. 

I think it’s unfair to say things tanked. Herdsman capped out. His motivation can get so far. A horribly depleted wc squad doesn’t help.  But most importantly, the calibre of opposition drastically increased. 

tanking implies that it’s herdmans fault. I don’t think pep does much better with a squad of aging Vitoria, hutch, borjan, spoony, hoillet.

an injured staq, Davies, oso, hutch. 

and the core of mls guys out of season.  

What’s a reasonable expectation of any coach with those parameters?  Turn mak and Fraser into elite cms. Make Vitoria fast. 

we all were so stoked with the Belgium performance. The morroco game was great considering we had a lot of rotation. And Croatia was humiliating after we brought our subs in. (Much like the Netherlands game with marsch). 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

IMO herdman built a culture.

the culture got buy in to the cause, helped recruit duals and shaped an cultural identity that was needed to introduce confidence to the lads. He was tactically savvy enough to get the best out of many of our players. It was a huge step to build a foundation. He also got lucky to get a golden generation. 

marsch is building a squad with a football identity. The tactical requirements is higher for the team, the substitutions are better. It’s basically the next evolution of where herdman capped out.  He also is benefiting from an even better golden generation.  

I didn’t expect us to take the jump so fast but there’s going to be a day when Jesse is capped out too. Teams will learn to do what Mexico did and results will decline. 

hopefully our next manager has an even better golden generation to take us to the next level again.  

I agree. All of what Marsch is saying about how quickly the players have bought in is part of Herdman's legacy. 

Neither is a great tactician. I'm not sure either read game situations really well. If Marsch can't win Nations League or Gold Cup that isn't an advance on Herdman. A World Cup win would be though our group will likely be far easier. 

Marsch talks normal hype, and is also a bit egocentric like Herdman. But his hype doesn't feel like spin the way Herdman's did. He's straighter up. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree. All of what Marsch is saying about how quickly the players have bought in is part of Herdman's legacy. 

Neither is a great tactician. I'm not sure either read game situations really well. If Marsch can't win Nations League or Gold Cup that isn't an advance on Herdman. A World Cup win would be though our group will likely be far easier. 

Marsch talks normal hype, and is also a bit egocentric like Herdman. But his hype doesn't feel like spin the way Herdman's did. He's straighter up. 

Agreed on all of the above but Marsch is definitely a stronger tactician than Herdman - it’s not even close. There’s a reason one has managed at top levels and the others club career will end at TFC.

Herdman never would have managed us to the copa America knockouts.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Agreed on all of the above but Marsch is definitely a stronger tactician than Herdman - it’s not even close. There’s a reason one has managed at top levels and the others club career will end at TFC.

Herdman never would have managed us to the copa America knockouts.

You have no basis of knowing that, it's pure speculation. Herdman's club career is where Marsch's was a decade ago. Herdman is just starting and with a team that he hasn't made. 

He got us to a final. We almost got past the States in a quarter final, losing in penalties. Marsch has a probably better squad though it isn't to his credit.

I prefer Marsch and like his ambition, but in a critical moment late in a match, thinking of the quarters vs the States and third place vs Uruguay, neither managed a manageable lead correctly.

Marsch isn't a lot better on possession, tends to dismiss the midfield in favour of the wings, also believes in a high press and quick transitions like our WC match vs Belgium. Marsch hasn't improved set pieces too much. I'd say the no 1 surprise I'd give him credit for is where and how Davies plays.