Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Final - Vancouver Whitecaps v Toronto FC - September 25, 2024

So what’s happening in Vancouver tonight that barely 12000 people bothered to show up for a final of a national Cup final. They are having a decent season so it’s not like fans are protesting a bad season . As bad as TFC’s season has been and seasons have been I can almost assure you that more than 12000 would have shown up if the game was at BMO .

the question of the night is how herdman makes such bad decisions on penalty kick takers?? how do look at bernardeschi missing all three of his penalties in 2024 and think its a good idea to give him the penalty in your only chance to win a championship a cup final under such high pressure when he missed three in lower pressure games...and then you give one to thompson??

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

the question of the night is how herdman makes such bad decisions on penalty kick takers?? how do look at bernardeschi missing all three of his penalties in 2024 and think its a good idea to give him the penalty in your only chance to win a championship a cup final under such high pressure when he missed three in lower pressure games...and then you give one to thompson??

Maybe he just lets the players decide on the field just like Canada in a World Cup game.

I also have a hard time believing Longstaff is one of our best shooters to be going 2nd.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Bernardeschi was amazing at penalties all through the 2022 season. He never missed one that season. Insigne has been carrying a calf injury so it was perfectly fine for the other DP to step up to the spot. On that pitch tonight, other than Berna or Insigne, no one else can take pens. Berna should have stepped up and taken a pen during the shootout just like Ronaldo did at the Euros.

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So what’s happening in Vancouver tonight that barely 12000 people bothered to show up for a final of a national Cup final. They are having a decent season so it’s not like fans are protesting a bad season . As bad as TFC’s season has been and seasons have been I can almost assure you that more than 12000 would have shown up if the game was at BMO .

Last year the Whitecaps had 20k in attendance, the year before that 24k. In 2018, TFC had 15k and in 2019 they had 21k. I'm sure there's a number of factors that go in to each final, but I don't think I'd guarantee BMO would have been better this year.

Momentum on the tournament stalled because of the break between rounds/games, it was held after kids are back in school, the novelty of winning has worn off a bit (combined with zero MLS playoff success), and they're going head to head with a Canucks preseason game. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Last year the Whitecaps had 20k in attendance, the year before that 24k. In 2018, TFC had 15k and in 2019 they had 21k. I'm sure there's a number of factors that go in to each final, but I don't think I'd guarantee BMO would have been better this year.

Momentum on the tournament stalled because of the break between rounds/games, it was held after kids are back in school, the novelty of winning has worn off a bit (combined with zero MLS playoff success), and they're going head to head with a Canucks preseason game. 

Those Canucks pre-season games are so damn exciting.

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So I guess Toronto does win after all.

I was having a hard time coming up with a list of 5 TFC players that I liked for the shootout. TFC have been bad at shoot outs ever since they traded Issey waaay back when. My 5 that I picked were Owusu, Longstaff, Petretta, Laryea, and Flores. I didn't want Osorio (long history of missing in penalties) or Bernardeschi (having a really bad streak) shooting. I didn't have confidence my 5 picks would score, they just scared me less than the others out there, probably because I don't remember seeing any of them take a penalty before.

6 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Bernardeschi was amazing at penalties all through the 2022 season. He never missed one that season. Insigne has been carrying a calf injury so it was perfectly fine for the other DP to step up to the spot. On that pitch tonight, other than Berna or Insigne, no one else can take pens. Berna should have stepped up and taken a pen during the shootout just like Ronaldo did at the Euros.

Why not let the one #9 on the field?  Has Kerr ever been permitted to take a penalty? 

Honest question...I can't remember if he has ever taken one.

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not cheering for TFC specifically but I was kind of hoping Kerr would bag one more in this game.  Would have punctuated a great tournament for him.   

Regardless- still cool to have a 21 yr old Canadian kid (probably) winning the golden boot for the tournament. 

I thought he was a non factor out there last night, his replacement Prince equally not threatening the Caps back line.

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

Maybe he just lets the players decide on the field just like Canada in a World Cup game.

When they showed his reaction after Thompson's miss this is what came to mind. Bernardeschi was the one speaking in the scrum before pens and I got the impression he let the players figure it out. The look he gave after Thompson missed was something close to "of course he would".