Center Back Situation

Scot

First time posting here, so please be gentle :).  I think its pretty incredible the change in our center back situation over the last couple of years.  This has been a major liability for the team - now its almost a point of strength.   The development of Bombito and Cornelius over the last couple of years is remarkable, and the program is much better for it.  Just my thoughts. :)

2 hours ago, Scot said:

First time posting here, so please be gentle :).  I think its pretty incredible the change in our center back situation over the last couple of years.  This has been a major liability for the team - now its almost a point of strength.   The development of Bombito and Cornelius over the last couple of years is remarkable, and the program is much better for it.  Just my thoughts. :)

We will be shocked in 3 years when jkl ldf and stefanovic make our cb pool so deep. 

3 hours ago, Scot said:

Pretty good first post. Welcome aboard!

I would say the CB spot and the defense in general is the strength of the team at the moment. Can't play long or Bombito and Davies will win the foot race. Can't play short because our forwards and midfielders are pressing with their athleticism, led by one of the best pressing forwards in World football, Jonathan David.

It's all possible because our backline is so quick, that's the foundation.

Johnston by the way is no slouch for speed either and Cornelius is the slowest of the bunch, but he's still above average for pace.

Anyway, we are in a good place. Exciting times.

It's definitely switched quickly from our weakest area to a potentially strong one. 

It's a bit mad Cornelius and Bombito have done so well and seem so natural I did a double take when Kamal Miller, who has been an amazing player for us imo, came on against Mexico. I thought "oh yeah, I completely forgot about Kamal for a second."

Likewise LDF not being there! Watching the u20s, the future does look much much brighter there.

Our depth has been evolving very quickly over the past 6-8 months.

After the light at the end of the CB tunnel, i was concerned CM was the big issue too but the emergence of Ahmed, Saliba, Sigur and Choiniere along with Badwal, Biello, Scahaivone and others looking great for the u20s, there is hope there.

Striker was starting to look shakey, now Tani and Arfifa have added to JRR others with Jebbison inching closer and yet more u20 standouts, Poku too. 

The dual pathways in Canada (L1/CPL) and the states are really paying dividends and it looks like it's only going to get better. With the promises of better cohesion in the national youth and senior programs and more targeted camps, we are in dreamland from not too long ago. Long may that continue.

Not sure when we started calling for this partnership, it seemed like a bit before it actually happened by great to see it working, with a lot of potential to get even better. 

Miller and Waterman are actually not bad depth pieces especially against some of CONCACAF. And there is real quality in the youth as mentioned. 

Needs now: Moving from strenth to strength, first off. Then depth at left back especially and maybe right given Laryea's slightly spotty fitness record.  I still think we need a destroyer in the midfield but a lot of depth (at least) emerging there.  Looking forward to Tajon being fit and hopefully playing soon.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Kamal seems like a good dude - genuine and willing to do whatever he needs to for the team.  But I don’t think he is close to the other two in terms of quality - and that gap should continue to widen with the other two now in Ligue 1.  I also hope the prospects quickly exceed the level he is playing at.  He can be solid but he seems pretty slow and I find his ball-playing to be pretty erratic.   

Not trying to be a 🍆. I have just never loved his play.  

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure when we started calling for this partnership, it seemed like a bit before it actually happened by great to see it working, with a lot of potential to get even better. 

Quite a few of us were calling for this back in Feb, while others were clutching their pearls over the disrespect towards Vitoria and how silly it would be to play Davies at LB.

No offence, but how do you feel about Davies at LB now?

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

Quite a few of us were calling for this back in Feb, while others were clutching their pearls over the disrespect towards Vitoria and how silly it would be to play Davies at LB.

No offence, but how do you feel about Davies at LB now?

Offence?

He is fufilling a massive need.

And has been better than I thought in staying true to that role.  Credit to him for buying in and to the manager for selling him the system. And giving him a real system to buy into to.

He is still better further forward or as a wingback. But you do what is best for the team. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Vitoria & Kamal, as with our whole squad played very well during WCQ, but our CBs got exposed vs higher competition at the WC, vs the US in NL finals and at home vs Jamaica. The emergence of Bombito with his pace has been a massive factor along with Cornelius' maturity and penchant for coming up with big defensive plays as he did at Copa. With Davies committed to playing defence and the  form of AJ, our current back 4 has become  the rock of the team and why our aggressive pressing is working. This current  Canada squad is much stronger than the one we had during WCQ. If we can finish more of our scoring chances, the sky is the limit.