Friendly match: USA vs Canada - Saturday, September 7th - 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

Hopefully we have all learned to bypass those anthony comments. Doesn't ever any actual thing to these threads but trash talking. If you quote him he responds with more junk. Just avoid and he goes away for a couple weeks

After NFL, flipped on onesoccer which was showing the last 20 minutes of the game. US really didn't create any chances late. When the game was live, I thought they dominated. I think I was just expecting a late US goal.

Millar, Choinière and Ahmed did great with outlet passes under pressure. Tani created two better chances than the US had. Davies had some wonderful speed defensive recoveries. They were very solid controlling the game out. Complete change from protecting those Copa leads.

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

With us beating the USA in a friendly, ain't no other place to go but up and with us facing Mexico tomorrow there is no excuse not to beat this Mexican team who are perhaps the worst Mexican generation of players in recent memory

They dominated New Zealand. We haven't had a game like that in forever. It should be a good test tomorrow with probably team rotations

Davies, Bombito, Ahmed, Choinière, David and Laryea played all or most of the friendly. They are short on midfielders if Sigur isn't playing. I knid of expect

Adekugbe (if able to play 60'), Miller, Bombito, Laryea

Eustáquio, Saliba (Sigur)

David, Oluwaseyi

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

With us beating the USA in a friendly, ain't no other place to go but up and with us facing Mexico tomorrow there is no excuse not to beat this Mexican team who are perhaps the worst Mexican generation of players in recent memory

Watching our performance vs the US, the system and the athleticism and having seen Mexico's recent matches, I think strong odds are in our favour.  Only concern and issue could be if Waterman/Miller step in in place of Bombito/Cornelius.  We cannot underestimate how massive that game from Bombito was.  I don't see any of our other CB's having anything close to that kind of performance.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

So beating the USA is rock bottom? I mean they’re on hard times but… 

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Only concern and issue could be if Waterman/Miller step in in place of Bombito/Cornelius.  We cannot underestimate how massive that game from Bombito was.  I don't see any of our other CB's having anything close to that kind of performance.

Bombito really stood out in his 1 v 1 defensive duels with his whippet recovery pace and his strength.  With Davies' defensive recovery pace combined, that is a pretty tough combo.  

I watched a big chunk of that Jimmy Conrad youtube show for the reactions to the game, and he had Brian McBride (and Tony Meola) on as well. Brian McBride mentioned a few times that we were really chippy with Pulisic and the Americans didn't repay the favour. I didn't notice any chippy stuff, did I just selectively miss it or is McBride imagining things? There were a couple times when Bombito was able to body his opponents very well, I don't recall if Pulisic was ever one of those, but I always felt like that was fair shoulder to shoulder type of challenges.

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

I watched a big chunk of that Jimmy Conrad youtube show for the reactions to the game, and he had Brian McBride (and Tony Meola) on as well. Brian McBride mentioned a few times that we were really chippy with Pulisic and the Americans didn't repay the favour. I didn't notice any chippy stuff, did I just selectively miss it or is McBride imagining things? There were a couple times when Bombito was able to body his opponents very well, I don't recall if Pulisic was ever one of those, but I always felt like that was fair shoulder to shoulder type of challenges.

Do they mean like teams (especially Concacaf teams) are chippy with Davies and David?  Suck it up.

46 minutes ago, Kent said:

Pulisic ( who I don't watch a lot of play outside of national team footy) showed to me during this game he was soft as a feather- on every chance he had when touched he went to ground and/or complained non-stop to the ref.  

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Choiniere frustrated and robbed Pulisic at least a couple of times, but it was not chippy, it was just playing at 110% and not giving up just cause someone has gone by you.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I think it is a very very fair partisan reaction.  Pulisic was played as hard as any player on the pitch, in the running for the hardest.  Yes, some soccer complaining, which is fine.  I don't think anything was egrigious...it is quite simply an aspect of play the Americans generally eschewed, while the Canadians did not eschew it one bit.  But the American commentators are totally correct to point out the relative ease with which Canada manhandled their opposition at times.

I think we can all agree Pulisic was fouled as a Top 3 target that match,  both sides.  And none of it card-worthy!!!  Just bitch-worthy!!!

P.S.  You have to practice ALL the arts in big competitions.  Witness Tim Weah's COPA tournament ending flare-up....one second sealed his team's fate and his manager's ousting...

Edited by eramosat

31 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think the press is working for us, because we have the fitness, but vs a really top side it usually does not work. Because a good team can play through it. Then you are running like hell for nothing.

I've seen rival sides play Barça with a high press, can even get something out of it, but then by m. 30 even they have to sit back because it cannot be sustained vs a team that can pass. It's real sense was like vs the US where it put you a goal up and you can work with that, as then they have to take initiative and you get to counter.

Of course a coordinated press is better, and you have to coach it. 

And then a selective press, which is in fact what we are doing; we often will let the keeper play out, and often will let a certain player from the back have more time (if he's less artful in the pass). We don't cover everyone. We even did it selectively vs. Argentina in the first match, pressing them enough to force them into long balls, which they did quite well and should have punished us more on that first half. 

Our press was less effective the 2nd half vs the States as might be expected, we were more tired. There was one play when Choiniere tried to press and the rival (Lund?) blew by him strongly, he probably should have kept his position against him, not pressed; or have fouled and taken the card. Then they got past our mids and had that one break especially, think it was a 4 on 3, which we are vulnerable on. You can't expect an entire team to not lose its mark or not get beaten, so the press is not the solution when it's late in a match. Sitting back may be better, low block (like vs. the US in Hamilton). Or finding a possession game, adding a mid or dropping David into the middle. Possession football, when winning, is more effective if you are up and want to preserve a result (Uruguay lesson not learnt).

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Canada must be Pulisic’s least favourite team to play internationally. Completely pedestrian against us anytime I’ve seen him and constantly moaning. Oddly he is a man on fire against Mexico but can’t take the Canadian grit. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think the press is working for us, because we have the fitness, but vs a really top side it usually does not work. Because a good team can play through it. Then you are running like hell for nothing.

I've seen rival sides play Barça with a high press, can even get something out of it, but then by m. 30 even they have to sit back because it cannot be sustained vs a team that can pass. It's real sense was like vs the US where it put you a goal up and you can work with that, as then they have to take initiative and you get to counter.

Of course a coordinated press is better, and you have to coach it. 

And then a selective press, which is in fact what we are doing; we often will let the keeper play out, and often will let a certain player from the back have more time (if he's less artful in the pass). We don't cover everyone. We even did it selectively vs. Argentina in the first match, pressing them enough to force them into long balls, which they did quite well and should have punished us more on that first half. 

Our press was less effective the 2nd half vs the States as might be expected, we were more tired. There was one play when Choiniere tried to press and the rival (Lund?) blew by him strongly, he probably should have kept his position against him, not pressed; or have fouled and taken the card. Then they got past our mids and had that one break especially, think it was a 4 on 3, which we are vulnerable on. You can't expect an entire team to not lose its mark or not get beaten, so the press is not the solution when it's late in a match. Sitting back may be better, low block (like vs. the US in Hamilton). Or finding a possession game, adding a mid or dropping David into the middle. Possession football, when winning, is more effective if you are up and want to preserve a result (Uruguay lesson not learnt).

Good post, the points about selective pressing vs. all out pressing and finishing matches, especially. The ending of the Uruguay was extremely naive and cost us a pretty big result.

There were a few times Tillman was able to receive in between our lines, or turn through our lines. Once the midfield is bypassed, it is instant danger. The USA wasn't able to do it that often, but against better sides (and that includes better US sides) this is a major point of concern.