Friendly match: USA vs Canada - Saturday, September 7th - 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

11 hours ago, Corazon said:

What a performance by our men. From the entire team. As others have mentioned already, we have enough depth, where we can be missing a few starters and still perform at a high level.  Marsch had these guys coming out looking hungry, ready to compete from the start. They seem to be bought in on him and his tactics.  This team looks like they could be very special and I bet there are a lot of dual nationals looking at us with interest right now.  With Kone out, many of us would have Morris locked in to start alongside Eustaquio.  Instead he's coming off the bench for USA in the midfield that is already missing Reyna, McKennie & Adams.  And our midfield completely outplayed theirs for almost the entirety of the game. Let's hope that we come out the same way against Mexico and make a statement that we are at the top of Concacaf.

Crepeau - He did everything he needed to do.  Made all the expected saves and couple harder ones.  No errors but I feel that his passing could improve.

Bombito - What a game! He absolutely handled their attack throughout the entirety of the game.  He has incredible speed and strength.  His passing could improve but still showed some great line breaking passes tonight.  He looks like he could be a star if he consistently performs like he did today.

Cornelius - Had a goof game but he was probably one of the quieter players today.  In my opinion, his long range passing is high quality. However, he did get caught out when he stepped up and fouled Aaronson on the chance that eventually fell to Pulisic.  He was also somewhat caught out along side Ahmed as they collapsed on the early 2nd half Balogun chance (what a strong jump by Bombito on that initial defensive header). 

Johnston - Thought he looked great in his short appearance but everyone on Canada looked great in that first half.

Davies - He's not going to get the offensive opportunities that he likely wants and he’s  not going to look like the superstar on this team inevery game.  But, we are just so much better with him defensively when he's at playing at left back.  He's still getting chances and creating them as well but it felt like less hero ball from him tonight. He did fantastic to create the chance that Larin had saved from close range.  Originally I thought Davies may have missed the clearance on the lead up to the US goal but it might have actually been slightly deflected first. The goal was a clear offside and VAR would cancel it in any formal competition.

Eustaquio - I think he's getting a bit of an underrated performance tonight based on the fact he was removed in the 67th minute. He pulls the strings in our midfield and leads by example.  He had a great interception and quick through pass to Larin which created David's chance on the volley.  His turn was exceptional on his scoring chance that went just wide.  Lastly, yes it it was a poor pass by Cardoso, but it was a nice soft touch and quick pass by Eustaquio on the interception that lead to Shaffelburg goal.  He also had several other interceptions and won most of his duels as well.

Choiniere - Showed fantastic work rate and pressing and some great tackles as well.  He’s such a workhorse.  He had a great interception and pass through for Larin, early in the 2nd half.  He perhaps lost the ball a few times and lost a few duels but overall a very solid performance.

Ahmed - He was exceptional.  He looks like a completely different player when he's playing in the midfield for Canada.  He's a very tricky player, and just when it looks like he's about to lose out, he emerges with the ball.  He also had a great tackle on the Eustaquio scoring chance. Showed patience on the through pass.

Shaffelburg - Pressed like crazy and took his chance well.  Which seems to be a recurring theme these days.  He’s been scoring clutch goals for us.  His crosses still need some help but he was exceptional once again, one on one.

David - Was a menace throughout the game.  Constant pressing and excellent play reading on the defensive side. He’s an excellent passer.  He had a nice cross to Davies, some nice progressive passes in transition, some tight intricate passes with Eustaquio and others.  Had a great assist to Shaffelburg.  Took both his chance on the volley and his goal very well.  One of many players that deserved Man of the Match.

Larin - I enjoyed KJ's analysis of his importance to this team too.  His pass to David early on was perfect.  He showed great acceleration and strength on his chance that he almost scored nearside. He absolutely should be doing better on the chance from close range. Even showed strength in the buildup to David’s goal.

Laryea - Never an easy time to jump into the game but didn't skip a beat after Johnston went down injured.  One of the better games I've seen from him in recent months from both Canada & with Toronto FC.

Millar - I thought he was solid.  Always works hard and always dangerous in one on ones.

Osorio - Although, he wasn't bad, he didn't stand out at all.  I thought Jesse got it right with Choiniere alongside Eustaquio.  We'll see if he gets the start against Mexico.

Oluwaseyi - Although his touches looked a bit off tonight he did show some great hold up play on his last chance before the final whistle.  He also showed great acceleration to get beyond his last defender and a nice nutmeg.  But it was a poor finish with his weak foot.

Waterman - He was solid.  Much better than anything I've seen from him at Montreal recently.  Mind you playing alongside Laryea, Bombito and Davies helps.  I did think he may have got his angle wrong when he stepped up on the Pepi chance in the 2nd half.

Saliba - Welcome to CANMNT

Afrifa - Welcome to CANMNT

Great analysis as usual @Corazon

Hopefully quick post game ramble on the huge win

Crepeau - has been so steady in goal. Completely different to Borjan, who I had no idea what was going to happen. He deserves so much credit for just being consistent. A couple good saves but the defense deserves so much credit for limiting the US attacks

Johnston - so good until the injury. He looked fine walking off the field. But expect he missing the Mexico game

Bombito - another incredible effort. His recovery time is unbelievable. Such a bright future. A couple years ago when he debuted in the Gold Cup, I could of never imagined he would end up here. Still at less than 30 professional games. It is crazy what he has done with his raw skills

Cornelius- it was funny reading people complain about his boring game. His first couple years with the MNT, he would just do stupid things. He constantly get caught out of position. It was obvious why Herdman didn't trust him eventhough he was playing great for Malmo. He has just settled into this position. He got a knock in the head with a ridiculous looking wrap and yet tried to play on in a FRIENDLY. He is fighting for a starting position with OM and he will get it. Just such a calming presence with the energetic Bombito.

Davies - just want him to play back here. His speed and recovery helps the defense so much. Created a couple chances to with great passing. Wish he was able to clear that ball that ended up giving the US, the offside goal

Eustáquio- he is just everywhere. Great job working with a unknown to him partner in Choinière. They looked like they have played numerous games together.

Choinière- will definitely receive trust from Marsch with playing time after that performance. Midfield didn't miss a step without Kone, Piette, Osorio, Fraser, MAK or Atiba off the field. Eustáquio and Choinière deserve so much credit

Shaff - I watch a lot MLS. I can't believe this is the guy that is banging in goals for us. Another amazing performance. Just seemed more calm and controlled than other games

Larin - his work rate was tremendous. That pass to David for the volley shot on goal was a thing of beauty. Everytime you wonder if it is time to try someone else, he has a game like this

Ahmed - what a performance.  He has such an awkward running style. Marsch's system with straight out wingers has worked wonders for the two MLS guys. Looks worlds more dangerous that he does with Gauld and White in Vancouver. Both sides of the field looked very dangerous because of Ahmed and Shaff

David- it is amazing how every outsider thinks this is Davies's team. This team would be outside the top 75 without Johnny. He is the best. Wish he gets out of Lille to show it off. Just is everywhere on the field. I think he would be the greatest midfielder, if we needed him to play there. He can do anything on the field. Another great performance. Much better than Pulisic or Balogun

Laryea - a very controlled excellent game by him

Osorio - solid in the midfield but Eustáquio was missed

Millar- his defensive work is so underrated. Locked up the wing while they were protecting a lead

Oluwaseyi- I actually expected JRR in this game since they were protecting a lead. That has been when JRR gets his goals with Columbus.  I thought his most clumsy game. Then he had a moment of brilliance where he danced through the defense and almost scored. He definitely creates chances

Waterman - another surprise instead of Kamal. Very steady in his time out there.

Saliba and Afrifa- welcome boys

27 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I think the conundrum(if there is one) with Shaffleburg is that he is relatively "one dimensional"...that is also arguably one of our better shooters in the run-of-play/under pressure inside the 18. He seems to stay over the ball when shooting which believe it or not isn't that common...

Yes, his ability to hit good shots under pressure seems like his greatest asset to me. To some extent this is an indictment of CANMNT's historical scoring ability and number of games player per year, but 4 goals for Shaf probably puts him in our all time top 10 for non-strikers? Close at least.

30 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I think the conundrum(if there is one) with Shaffleburg is that he is relatively "one dimensional"...that is also arguably one of our better shooters in the run-of-play/under pressure inside the 18. He seems to stay over the ball when shooting which believe it or not isn't that common...

He is pretty clutch. Witch is an intangible I think you can't teach.

25 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Yes, his ability to hit good shots under pressure seems like his greatest asset to me. To some extent this is an indictment of CANMNT's historical scoring ability and number of games player per year, but 4 goals for Shaf probably puts him in our all time top 10 for non-strikers? Close at least.

Not sure but here are the goal talleys for the NT since Shaffleburg scored is first(July 9th 2023):

David - 4

Shaffleburg - 4

Kone - 2

Larin - 1

Davies - 1

Hoilett - 1

Eustaquio - 1

Vitoria - 1

Edited by mpg_29

57 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Doesn’t matter how one dimensional he is because the production gap between him and the other options is massive.

also, if he wasn’t one dimensional he’d be playing for a top 20 club because his one dimension is really good

10 hours ago, spitfire said:

im an honest person it’s hard to argue when he scores a goal  It was a nice finish. He took it very well but still think he’s a better impact sub. To use  that pace and directness against tired legs. Thats my opinion and it’s not a Liam thing. It’s a Canada thing. If Sam is here Davies plays lw ... and staff comes off the bench (and Liam probably doesn’t play)  liam understands u have to earn every min and it’s an honour to play for Canada .. 

see I told you I would edit it quickly  …

Canada should have two different strategies when taking two kind of opponents.

1. Vs CONCACAF teams and those ranking near/below us: 

formation: 442

Press, take the lead and counter attack. Yesterday match was a great example.

2. Vs top 20 ranked teams:

formation: 4231

At the start, Use  David as a false 9 to reinforce midfield. Davies stays at LB. Start Millar for better wing protection.

When we need a result, Sub in Shaff and push Davies to LWB at left flank. Sub in Ahmed if he was not a starter.

37 minutes ago, shorty said:

I thought this was the most mature game I’ve seen Phonzie play in a CanMNT jersey. Calm, no hero-ball, pushed forward when the opportunity presented itself but didn’t force it. A Bayern-like performance from a couple of years ago, where he is one weapon among 11, and plays like it. So good to see. 

Maybe he's decided he'd rather be the captain of a winning team more than the hero of a losing one.

21 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

As nice as the win is, the biggest plus for me was the play of Ahmed and Choiniere as players adding significant depth to the team- especially as they are the two who would likely not have been starting if everyone was healthy (ie Kone and Tajon).

Ya, but they could have been integrated into the team by coming off the bench. If only Passenger Oso and Liam Millar weren’t taking their minutes. SMH, it’s just pure foolishness.😔

Edited by anthony7

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, cause f*** those guys that support Canadian soccer. You don't watch nearly enough CMNT, CPL, Canadian Championship, or CONCACAF Champions Cup to justify the modest price.

People are still so confused about OneSoccer's media deal. 99% of the fanbase seems to be blaming them for the game not being shown on a 'mainstream' network. People really don't understand what was included in the deal.

my analysis:

defensively: the 424 has our wingers in half spaces so they can close down the cdm if the ball is passed to them or sprint at the fullback. Our wingers curve the runs to block the pass down the line. This pressure is absolutely key to keeping the ball in front of our first line of 4. Ahmed’s pressure on the first goal is picture perfect pressing for our system. Our near striker covers the cb. Our second striker fills a half space so he can collapse down on their cdm and our 2cm push high on their cdms while also blocking the passing lane into their striker. If we get broken thru, we fall back into a 4-4-1-1 in a semi low block but usually if we get broken through, it’s a counter and we win it back before we even need to set up.  Pretty great to see how few times the USA can progress down the field via passes down the wing. We forced them to play through us with no easy outs and they couldn’t do it. 

Offensively: we go into a 4-2-3-1 with David as the cam. Our weakside full back tucks in centrally just a bit so they can press their cam/striker in the middle if we turn it over. The strong side will have the full back and wingers take turns of who occupies the wide spot and who drops in the middle half space, although we don’t drop in the half space all that often as most of our movements are in transition.  David has tons of freedom. As our wingers press forward and Larin stays high, David drops into pockets where he can turn and go forward. It’s very rare he doesn’t receive a pass with the ability to look forward right away. 

so the question is, what does a 3 man midfield do for this. Defensively our cam would push into a striker role or else we risk giving an easier pass out of pressure when we press. 

offensively the cam would need a higher starting position or else he closes down the space for our cdms to receive the ball and we risk losing the link to our forwards and wingers. 

unless we have a big tactical stylistic shift, the 3 man midfield wouldn’t be the best solution as kone is the obvious cam choice and he’s much better at progressing from deep as opposed to linking up play from a higher position. Oso could play that role better. 

7 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Respectfully, I only watch CanMNT.

I thought you are a TFC fan, so would get some value out of the Canadian Championship and occasionally CONCACAF Champions League (though not for a while).

Besides, you can sign up for $13 for 1 month. Even if you only care about the CMNT friendlies this month, that gets you 2 games for less than the price of a movie ticket, or less than the price of what you would spend if you went to a pub to watch the game. Back when Setanta was a thing, the channel was so expensive I decided to not get it, but I still wanted to watch Manchester United in the Premier League. So I went to a pub a couple times in the same month to watch games and realized it would be a whole lot cheaper for me to just subscribe to the channel instead of getting food and drink at a pub every time there is a game.

But you do you. I obviously don't know your situation. But if you are looking for how to watch something that is on OneSoccer 5 years into them having the rights, you can expect to be told exactly how you can watch it and help support the team as well.

7 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Ya, but they could have been integrated into the team by coming off the bench. If only Passenger Oso and Liam Millar weren’t taking their minutes. SMH, it’s just pure foolishness.😔

I'll bet you have voodoo dolls of both those players all over your place.