Friendly match: USA vs Canada - Saturday, September 7th - 4pm Eastern / 1pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

8 minutes ago, RS said:

The play-by-play person is Luke Wileman, by the way. 

For my stream, the play-by-play person was female.  Clearly pro-US.  After the showed a replay of the goal, she said in so many words that the US player came back from an offside position and there's no VAR so the US will take it. 

At the end of the game, she said Canada was full value for the win.  

Edited by Snowcrash

35 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

For my stream, the play-by-play person was female.  Clearly pro-US.  After the showed a replay of the goal, she said in so many words that the US player came back from an offside position and there's no VAR so the US will take it. 

At the end of the game, she said Canada was full value for the win.  

We heard the same female commentator.

What a performance by our men. From the entire team. As others have mentioned already, we have enough depth, where we can be missing a few starters and still perform at a high level.  Marsch had these guys coming out looking hungry, ready to compete from the start. They seem to be bought in on him and his tactics.  This team looks like they could be very special and I bet there are a lot of dual nationals looking at us with interest right now.  With Kone out, many of us would have Morris locked in to start alongside Eustaquio.  Instead he's coming off the bench for USA in the midfield that is already missing Reyna, McKennie & Adams.  And our midfield completely outplayed theirs for almost the entirety of the game. Let's hope that we come out the same way against Mexico and make a statement that we are at the top of Concacaf.

Crepeau - He did everything he needed to do.  Made all the expected saves and couple harder ones.  No errors but I feel that his passing could improve.

Bombito - What a game! He absolutely handled their attack throughout the entirety of the game.  He has incredible speed and strength.  His passing could improve but still showed some great line breaking passes tonight.  He looks like he could be a star if he consistently performs like he did today.

Cornelius - Had a goof game but he was probably one of the quieter players today.  In my opinion, his long range passing is high quality. However, he did get caught out when he stepped up and fouled Aaronson on the chance that eventually fell to Pulisic.  He was also somewhat caught out along side Ahmed as they collapsed on the early 2nd half Balogun chance (what a strong jump by Bombito on that initial defensive header). 

Johnston - Thought he looked great in his short appearance but everyone on Canada looked great in that first half.

Davies - He's not going to get the offensive opportunities that he likely wants and he’s  not going to look like the superstar on this team inevery game.  But, we are just so much better with him defensively when he's at playing at left back.  He's still getting chances and creating them as well but it felt like less hero ball from him tonight. He did fantastic to create the chance that Larin had saved from close range.  Originally I thought Davies may have missed the clearance on the lead up to the US goal but it might have actually been slightly deflected first. The goal was a clear offside and VAR would cancel it in any formal competition.

Eustaquio - I think he's getting a bit of an underrated performance tonight based on the fact he was removed in the 67th minute. He pulls the strings in our midfield and leads by example.  He had a great interception and quick through pass to Larin which created David's chance on the volley.  His turn was exceptional on his scoring chance that went just wide.  Lastly, yes it it was a poor pass by Cardoso, but it was a nice soft touch and quick pass by Eustaquio on the interception that lead to Shaffelburg goal.  He also had several other interceptions and won most of his duels as well.

Choiniere - Showed fantastic work rate and pressing and some great tackles as well.  He’s such a workhorse.  He had a great interception and pass through for Larin, early in the 2nd half.  He perhaps lost the ball a few times and lost a few duels but overall a very solid performance.

Ahmed - He was exceptional.  He looks like a completely different player when he's playing in the midfield for Canada.  He's a very tricky player, and just when it looks like he's about to lose out, he emerges with the ball.  He also had a great tackle on the Eustaquio scoring chance. Showed patience on the through pass.

Shaffelburg - Pressed like crazy and took his chance well.  Which seems to be a recurring theme these days.  He’s been scoring clutch goals for us.  His crosses still need some help but he was exceptional once again, one on one.

David - Was a menace throughout the game.  Constant pressing and excellent play reading on the defensive side. He’s an excellent passer.  He had a nice cross to Davies, some nice progressive passes in transition, some tight intricate passes with Eustaquio and others.  Had a great assist to Shaffelburg.  Took both his chance on the volley and his goal very well.  One of many players that deserved Man of the Match.

Larin - I enjoyed KJ's analysis of his importance to this team too.  His pass to David early on was perfect.  He showed great acceleration and strength on his chance that he almost scored nearside. He absolutely should be doing better on the chance from close range. Even showed strength in the buildup to David’s goal.

Laryea - Never an easy time to jump into the game but didn't skip a beat after Johnston went down injured.  One of the better games I've seen from him in recent months from both Canada & with Toronto FC.

Millar - I thought he was solid.  Always works hard and always dangerous in one on ones.

Osorio - Although, he wasn't bad, he didn't stand out at all.  I thought Jesse got it right with Choiniere alongside Eustaquio.  We'll see if he gets the start against Mexico.

Oluwaseyi - Although his touches looked a bit off tonight he did show some great hold up play on his last chance before the final whistle.  He also showed great acceleration to get beyond his last defender and a nice nutmeg.  But it was a poor finish with his weak foot.

Waterman - He was solid.  Much better than anything I've seen from him at Montreal recently.  Mind you playing alongside Laryea, Bombito and Davies helps.  I did think he may have got his angle wrong when he stepped up on the Pepi chance in the 2nd half.

Saliba - Welcome to CANMNT

Afrifa - Welcome to CANMNT

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What jokes Moreno and Hislop are. Completely ignorant. Hislop comments on Davies being our one extraordinary talent as if the USA has a player better than David. 

Tbf, when Herculez Gomez is on the channel he consistently refers to David as "the best 9 in CONCACAF".  I suspect the others are so sick of hearing it, they refuse to acknowledge David's existence when Gomez is not there.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

With Kone out, many of us would have Morris locked in to start alongside Eustaquio.  Instead he's coming off the bench for USA in the midfield that is already missing Reyna, McKennie & Adams.

I don't take much stock in his being a sub for this particular squad under an interim head coach.  I like Morris and if he committed to us, I'd have him in the mix competing for a starting place.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't take much stock in his being a sub for this particular squad under an interim head coach.  I like Morris and if he committed to us, I'd have him in the mix competing for a starting place.

I don’t disagree with that at all as well.

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

GW59FIjXkAA-yIr?format=jpg

I know you're biased 😜 but Shaff showed again he has earned that starting role. 

im an honest person it’s hard to argue when he scores a goal  It was a nice finish. He took it very well but still think he’s a better impact sub. To use  that pace and directness against tired legs. Thats my opinion and it’s not a Liam thing. It’s a Canada thing. If Sam is here Davies plays lw ... and staff comes off the bench (and Liam probably doesn’t play)  liam understands u have to earn every min and it’s an honour to play for Canada .. 

see I told you I would edit it quickly  …

Edited by spitfire

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if Pochettino watched that and changed his mind

So is the US Soccer subreddit.

In all seriousness though, nice win, but winning a game like this matters little.  We need to actually start getting results like this vs. the US and Mexico in the elimination rounds of the Gold Cup and Nations League.