Match Thread: August 24, 2024 - Cavalry v Pacific

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Why couldn't they keep Aparicio?  Was he that set on going elsewhere or simply closer to home?   Money issue?  Coaching iasue?  Same questions about Didic.

Ottawa probably paying him more

22 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Why couldn't they keep Aparicio?  Was he that set on going elsewhere or simply closer to home?   Money issue?  Coaching iasue?  Same questions about Didic.

Aren't Ottawa paying him a 10th of the cap for the whole team. That's a lot to spend on one player. I don't understand why we didn't replace him with a player for half that price though. We just decided to play the season with no creative midfielder. We didn't even get one in the summer window for some reason. We really lack threats from wide areas too. Overall just a very poorly put together roster 

IIRC, the team was pretty mediocre in the second half of last season, backing into the playoffs and then lucky to get by York at home.  And this was with Aparicio and Didic, so I sense there is more to it here than just a key player or two's absence.

22 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Who,in this set up, is in charge of the player vetting and acquistion?

No clue now that Friend is focused on Vancouver. It's weird, the early years actually felt more like rosters built by Merriman than the current one does. A lot of players that he had previously worked with were brought in early on, but now it just feels like a mishmash of random players. I really hope some more of these local players work out. That's always been my big draw to the club, but Sean Young is the only real success and he seems to have regressed this season 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

Ottawa probably paying him more

Paying Aparicio more? and Didic and de Brienne and Yesli?  It would appear the salary cap is not being applied equally by all teams?

Edited by K Edgar

6 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Paying Aparicio more? and Didic and de Brienne and Yesli?  It would appear the salary cap is not being applied equally by all teams?

They also supposedly couldn't sign Rea because he didn't fit in their cap.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

No clue now that Friend is focused on Vancouver. It's weird, the early years actually felt more like rosters built by Merriman than the current one does. A lot of players that he had previously worked with were brought in early on, but now it just feels like a mishmash of random players. I really hope some more of these local players work out. That's always been my big draw to the club, but Sean Young is the only real success and he seems to have regressed this season 

It is a question of when the coaching and player personnel management side of this operation will get a change:  after the season, or even sooner?