Jared Stroud

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If he is eligible for citizenship and acquires it then he is Canadian. Citizenship is like pregnancy. Either you are or you aren't. There is no grey area or gradations involved. Given soccer has always tended to be the preferred sport of relatively recent arrivals to the country rather than amongst people who perceive themselves as "100% Canadian" it's strange to see this kind of rhetoric on a soccer board. More the sort of thing you expect some shock jock to be ranting about in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan when a hockey player like Petr Nedved decides to play for Team Canada.

Oh great, another straw man. 

Sure, he can be Canadian if he wants and all the power to him. But if a player has never played here, has no intention of ever playing or living here and is of the same variety of others in our pool who tick those aforementioned boxes then the choice is easy. I can play for Ireland but I’d never tell anyone I’m Irish and I’m sure the Stroud brothers identify as Americans.

If a player is like Arfield and gives us a new level then the story is different. 

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

...If a player is like Arfield and gives us a new level then the story is different. 

It isn't. The basis for Arfield to be able to play for the CMNT is his Canadian citizenship and the CMNT coach selecting him as he is viewed as the player in his position who is most likely to maximize the probablility that the team will win the next competitive game. The basis for Jared Stroud to play for the CMNT would be his Canadian citizenship and Jesse Marsch also making that assessment.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It isn't. The basis for Arfield to be able to play for the CMNT is his Canadian citizenship and the CMNT coach selecting him as he is viewed as the player in his position who is most likely to maximize the probablility that the team will win the next competitive game. The basis for Jared Stroud to play for the CMNT would be his Canadian citizenship and Jesse Marsch also making that assessment.

Right - so exactly what I said. At this moment Stroud isn’t a step up on anyone we currently have available. If he is, then the US will step in and cynically cap tie him. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Right - so exactly what I said. At this moment Stroud isn’t a step up on anyone we currently have available. If he is, then the US will step in and cynically cap tie him. 

How do we know he is not ?

If this guy was English playing in league 2 in England who had a great grandfather who had a coffee at Tim Hortons once when he was visiting Canada , would we be having this discussion? I would rather have a national team of players who were born and raised here or at the very least played a decent amount of their youth soccer in Canada . However, dual nationals like this player who has no real connection to Canada are allowed  so then you have to look at all of them no matter where they play .