Jared Stroud

Jared Stroud

Born: July 10, 1996 (age 28 years), Chester, New Jersey, United States
Current team: D.C. United (#8 / Midfielder)
Height: 1.78 m

Eligible through a grandparent, likely part of the landmark ruling that passed a while back. Is said to be interested in joining the cause, has played for Red Bulls in the past and knows our system. 

Probably a depth piece in a few spots, and would maybe push out a Piette ? Never hurts to have depth. 

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Jared Stroud

Born: July 10, 1996 (age 28 years), Chester, New Jersey, United States
Current team: D.C. United (#8 / Midfielder)
Height: 1.78 m

Eligible through a grandparent, likely part of the landmark ruling that passed a while back. Is said to be interested in joining the cause, has played for Red Bulls in the past and knows our system. 

Probably a depth piece in a few spots, and would maybe push out a Piette ? Never hurts to have depth. 

Isn't Jared a winger? I thought his brother Peter is the midfielder of the two and be closer to a Piette replacement. 

Thanks for the thread @Dominic94.

Just to provide some context,

The Athletic article that mentions a Canadian grandfather:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5716246/2024/08/23/canada-mens-soccer-dual-nationals/

"....a source close to both Strouds said each would be excited about the opportunity to play for Canada."

His Wikipedia article:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Stroud

His MLS profile:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jared-stroud/

Article about the family:

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/sports/soccer/2024/06/29/nj-soccer-family-d-c-united-jared-stroud-visits-red-bulls-brother-peter-stroud-delbarton-chester/74249052007/

Mother from the USA, father from southern England.

4 boys in total including Jared.

No idea if the grandfather who is/was Canadian is from the mother's side or father's side.

Posts from the other thread:

On 8/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Do either of these guys make our squad?  Peter is 22 so still lots of time to progress but Jared is 28 and I have never heard of him.  Not to be negative, but American MLS journeymen aren't really the type of dual nats I want us pursuing.  Maybe they are a package deal and Peter has enough upside to warrant it - I don't know.  Or maybe I just don't pay enough attention to MLS to know that these guys warrant consideration.  But it seems like we have enough Canadian players and prospects that our dual nat efforts should be focused o the guys that can really add quality.  We aren't collecting Pokemon.  

On 8/23/2024 at 9:10 AM, Fullback said:

Peter began the year as a starter in midfield for Red Bulls before getting injured. At only 22 I think he would warrant a call up if he returns to form when healthy.

Jared is a decent MLS journeyman but doesn’t provide anything we don’t already have imo. Maybe worth a gold cup call up if some of our guys don’t want to attend.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, Nate3322 said:

Well Jared seems to be having a pretty productive year for DC 4g 9a in 27 games. DC fans have called him one of if not their best player this year. So he'd be a good depth piece winger tbh. While Peter is clearly rated by RBNY so one to keep an eye on when he's back from injury.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Exactly this. The fact that new and shiny guys with tentative ties to Canada jump ahead of Canadians who are (essentially) punished for being 100% Canadian doesn’t sit right with me. 

It's not just that, it's also that these guys, like Pos, haven't been paying attention. They're assuming Canada will be an easier fit than the US for a bit if an international career, but they're not really good enough for us either. Or at least would only maybe make a 26 man squad in a pinch. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not just that, it's also that these guys, like Pos, haven't been paying attention. They're assuming Canada will be an easier fit than the US for a bit if an international career, but they're not really good enough for us either. Or at least would only maybe make a 26 man squad in a pinch. 

Pos is a funny one.

His team relegated and he doesn't even start for them anymore in the 2nd tier

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Exactly this. The fact that new and shiny guys with tentative ties to Canada jump ahead of Canadians who are (essentially) punished for being 100% Canadian doesn’t sit right with me. 

I don’t think he’s ahead of Saliba and I’m not sure anyone said he was. He’s just a piece of the puzzle potentially.

Hmmmm, in his own words, versatile, everywhere but CB...but really a winger..either side and a master of the "dark arts".  He even mentions a moment he had with marsch around 22minute mark.  Long interview but sure seems like a guy with a good attitude......why not?  Push the guys we have, add to the depth so an injury or two doesnt sink us.  

18 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The gap of a player who the USA doesn’t want but who is good enough for Canada has to be extremely small at this point. If a player is good enough for us he’s good enough for a cynical cap by the USA I.e. Morris. 

The definitive post, nothing really encapsulates my feelings on this topic than what you said right here. Not to say the CMNT should outright say no but I need to see this guy's game more. If he was playing in a position where depth is still needed (CB or mid), he should be given a serious look, but winger? Let's just say I will reserve judgement for now. 

59 minutes ago, Macksam said:

The definitive post, nothing really encapsulates my feelings on this topic than what you said right here. Not to say the CMNT should outright say no but I need to see this guy's game more. If he was playing in a position where depth is still needed (CB or mid), he should be given a serious look, but winger? Let's just say I will reserve judgement for now. 

I think the reality is that their depth kills ours and we need to add that. We need to be able to field 2 teams for multiple events. 

On 8/23/2024 at 10:37 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

If he is eligible for citizenship and acquires it then he is Canadian. Citizenship is like pregnancy. Either you are or you aren't. There is no grey area or gradations involved. Given soccer has always tended to be the preferred sport of relatively recent arrivals to the country rather than amongst people who perceive themselves as "100% Canadian" it's strange to see this kind of rhetoric on a soccer board. More the sort of thing you expect some shock jock to be ranting about in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan when a hockey player like Petr Nedved decides to play for Team Canada.