Streaming - How/where to watch our CANMNT club players

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Obviously everyone has to make their own choice but I a comfortable with the decision given the gouging I was subject to. 

What did you do. stay with Bell despite them screwing you?  I'm being sincere, I'm in the same boat and don't know what to do.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Boy, do I need to talk to you.  Looks like we are in a very similar dilemma.

I am overpaying for my Bell Internet, I despise Rogers but they may be my only option.

Bell wants to bundle TV to get something cheaper, I don't want TV, I make my own TV by combining the best of the FAST channels. I get all the CBC and PBS FAST channels.  I get all the US FAST news channels.  CNN International during PrimeTime is the actual CNN.  I have all the history and documentary channels I like. I don't need paid for TV.

In fact I have so much stuff (movies/docs) saved on massive hard drives, I wouldn't need TV or Internet again.  But I need Internet for email, doing the taxes and I order groceries online.  I suppose I could try to get Internet when I needed it by going to local places that have it but I wouldn't want to do transactions like that.

In the olden days I used to have free dialup which wasn't that bad but I got a deal to go DSL and switched, same with Fiber.

I need help

The IPTV package we have has tons of content.   If you aren’t a big consumer of new content or demand access to the biggest shows it may not be helpful but it essentially has everything.  You get access to content from Netflix, Apple, Prime, Paramount+, Disney+, and every sports network in Canada, the US, the UK and others.  

Given the nature of the service you have to accept the fact that it could be shut down at any time.  But at $144 per year it is essentially the cost of one month of Bell bundled TV, so the other 11 months are basically bonus.  If it gets killed I will just take advantage of an Eastlink or Telus introductory offer and start getting  milked again.  

Like @narduch I had some reservations about the ethics of it but there is only so much I am willing to pay per month.  The fact that Bell insisted on charging me a premium for a bundle that included literally hundreds of useless channels makes me feel better about the decision.  They also basically ignored the spirit of the CRTC ruling that said people should be allowed to affordable access specific channels on a choose-what-you-want basis.  Their pricing structure pretty much always means that there is no point getting t anything other than the expensive bundle.   Maybe that is all just rationalization but I am okay with that considering Bell has gotten over $10,000 from me over the last 4-5 years.  They got their pound of flesh.  And like I said, I still make a contribution to Fubo and Netflix for the time being.  

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

What did you do. stay with Bell despite them screwing you?  I'm being sincere, I'm in the same boat and don't know what to do.

I actually still have the Bell bundle for the moment because I didn’t want to take the plunge without getting comfortable with the IPTV.  But I like the service and will be going to internet-only as of next month.   And I am also shopping around for another internet provider.   

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Like @narduch I had some reservations about the ethics of it but there is only so much I am willing to pay per month.  The fact that Bell insisted on charging me a premium for a bundle that included literally hundreds of useless channels makes me feel better about the decision.  They also basically ignored the spirit of the CRTC ruling that said people should be allowed to affordable access specific channels on a choose-what-you-want basis.  Their pricing structure pretty much always means that there is no point getting t anything other than the expensive bundle.   Maybe that is all just rationalization but I am okay with that considering Bell has gotten over $10,000 from me over the last 4-5 years.  They got their pound of flesh.  And like I said, I still make a contribution to Fubo and Netflix for the time being.  

I only wish I could come on here and describe the system I use for TV.  It is pretty similar to those "boxes" people used to use to get illegal copyrighed programming which is basically what these IPTV services are.  I honestly only try and do the free and legal route because old movies, and documentaries are my interest and I think it is amazing what you get for free, legally with a little knowledge.  But there is another side where you can pretty much get whatever you want (for free) and for me that basically only comes out for when the CMNT is playing.

And I had the same $10,000 gripe you had with Bell, but also with Microsoft.  I calculated the receipts of all the software I had to get from them and it was in the thousands.  I then started to crack software which I wasn't keen on doing but was easily able to rationalize it by the amount of money I had already given to M$.

That was when I discovered StarOffice and later the open source movement.  Back again to the free and legal movement which I prefer.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shway said:

I got my 87 yo grandma using the iptv all thanks to Tivimate. It's worth the initial investment. 

image.thumb.jpg.73ec3b4934d853654f9eb0c73fb82500.jpg

There's not a game I'll miss that I wanted to watch. 

Ya, I'm also on tivimate.  My dad (88) just can't seem to get the hang of a new menu/interface.  He's good with DAZN, Fubo and Videotron.  Absorbing and adapting to "new stuff" is a challenge.

Edited by costarg