Olympic Games-Quarter Final: Canada vs Germany -Saturday, August 3rd - 1pm Eastern / 10am Pacific - Stade de Marseille

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That was a weird ending.

It looked like the ref hadn't fully moved out of the way before that last penalty.

It was taken very quickly.

Yeah that was weird, they had barely stopped showing the replay. 

3 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Ger goalie surely left the line early every kick, no? 3rd kick looked pretty clear cut. 

I mean I think it was really a clear cut violation, and I'm surprised no one from Canada protested.  I take it there's no VAR here?  The German keeper was way off her line.

Edited by GasPed

14 minutes ago, Big_M said:

germany wins

amazing performance in these olympics by canada

Was it though?  A one goal win vs NZ, a team we should thump, and a one goal win vs Colombia a team we should beat by more. Admittedly the win against France was good, but we simply didn't deserve to win our QF. Tough to call our performance amazing.  I guess you're referring to the deduction, but if it was so galvanizing I would think that we'd have been more convincing. 

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Was it though?  A one goal win vs NZ, a team we should thump, and a one goal win vs Colombia a team we should beat by more. Admittedly the win against France was good, but we simply didn't deserve to win our QF. Tough to call our performance amazing.  I guess you're referring to the deduction, but if it was so galvanizing I would think that we'd have been more convincing. 

Canada was the better team for 90 of 120 minutes. "Deserving" to win is nonsense, but Canada could easily have come on top against a much better side.

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

of course it was...we just dont have a top team anymore...we lost our head coach and got deducted six points and were only able to advance winning all three and we did it...we just came off getting knocked out the group stage in the world cup...thats the way to look at it..from getting knocked out in the group stage to getting three wins in the group stage here and staying with germany for 120 min is great

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

of course it was...we just dont have a top team anymore...we lost our head coach and got deducted six points and were only able to advance winning all three and we did it...we just came off getting knocked out the group stage in the world cup...thats the way to look at it..from getting knocked out in the group stage to getting three wins in the group stage here and staying with germany for 120 min is great

I’d like to know what the story with Fleming is. She was totally miscast this game, playing as a striker almost. Was she pulled for performance or was it an injury? 

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

CBC does give priority to important athletic events even when they don't involve Canadian athletes. The women's 100 m sprint is a marquee event.

Yes and I am glad that they do because it turns out that in that race, a runner from St Lucia beat two heavily favored Americans for the Gold.    That was the first ever medal for the country of St Lucia.  She was coached by a Canadian.   What a great story,. And we got to watch it live without missing a  second of the Can-Ger soccer game.

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

and there it is france and colombia the two other teams from our group who went up are also out at the quarters...we basically were in the weakest group

Strange conclusion from two matches that went to penalties (ie: lottery).

France were weaker than their ranking, however. 

The weakest group was group B, where Australia and Zambia were absolutely awful.