Olympic Games-Quarter Final: Canada vs Germany -Saturday, August 3rd - 1pm Eastern / 10am Pacific - Stade de Marseille

• Big_M changed the title to Olympic Games-Quarter Final: Canada vs Germany -Saturday, August 3rd - 1pm Eastern / 10am Pacific - Stade de Marseille

I'm interested to see how they line up in midfield. Grosso and Fleming was an understandable move vs Colombia as Canada needed to win inside of 90 minutes. Canada can afford to line up more defensively vs Germany by starting Awujo or Quinn instead of Grosso. 3 in midfield would also be a possibility.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm interested to see how they line up in midfield. Grosso and Fleming was an understandable move vs Colombia as Canada needed to win inside of 90 minutes. Canada can afford to line up more defensively vs Germany by starting Awujo or Quinn instead of Grosso. 3 in midfield would also be a possibility.

I think they need either Quinn or Owuju in the midfield to do the defensive work and let Fleming be able to focus on the linking.  They are not going to be given much time and space by this physical opponent and I thought Grosso was exposed a fair bit by the aggressive Colombian play, so I am not sure how she'd do here.  

With our forward-by-committee, I would like one speed merchant (Prince or Huitema) out there alongside one of the other role players up top, but keep the other speedster ready as a sub.

They might stick with four in the back again, with Lawrence and Rose aa fullbacks.  Lawrence, in particular, brought much more of her A game with Colombia.  The back line is the clear strength of our team and are looking good right now.  As they go, so do we.

I expect to see Awujo start and play 60+. She can withstand the physical play, and is fairly skilled at progressing the ball on the ground as well as turns, through balls and channel passes.

19 hours ago, Pomoxis said:

I expect to see Awujo start and play 60+. She can withstand the physical play, and is fairly skilled at progressing the ball on the ground as well as turns, through balls and channel passes.

She can be loose with her possession but I really like her athleticism and overall upside.  She or Quinn needs to be in there to start.

Edited by BearcatSA

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

With our forward-by-committee, I would like one speed merchant (Prince or Huitema) out there alongside one of the other role players up top, but keep the other speedster ready as a sub.

I wouldn't characterize Huitema as a speed merchant. Her game against France and Colombia reminded me a lot of Cyle Larin. In a good way.

Prince's speed did change the game when she entered. Could that same energy work in a starting role? Probably.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

I wouldn't characterize Huitema as a speed merchant. Her game against France and Colombia reminded me a lot of Cyle Larin. In a good way.

Not quite Prince but she has a definite burst that's better than a number of the others in the role playing forward-by-committee grouping.

Away from media until tonight, so finger crossed for another big result.  Allez!

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Is it just me or have the women covered up the CSA logo on their uniform? 

No. That's an IOC thing.

All the soccer teams use their flag or Olympic committee symbol at the Olympics instead of their usual badges

Edited by narduch

5 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

Huitema is a sketchy selection. Gilles is a beast in every way (except looks) lol. My 2 bits.

Huitema has been one of the best players the last 2 games. Not today.

Awujo has been untidy with the ball but I also feel she's so close to doing some Ismael Kone sorts of things.