Olympic Games: Canada vs Colombia -Wednesday, July 31th - 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific - Stade de Nice

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Besides Spence, who are the other key assistant coaches in Paris?

Of the 6, there are 3 left. The pre/post and in-match analytics coaches are gone. I haven't seen any announcement of replacements.

Bev Priestman (Consett, ENG) – Head Coach
Andy Spence (Liverpool, ENG) – Assistant Coach
Jasmine Mander (Delta, B.C.) – Assistant Coach
Neil Wood (Manchester, ENG) – Assistant Coach
Jen Herst (Warrington, ENG) – Goalkeepers & Set Plays Coach
Joey Lombardi (Brampton, Ont.) – Analyst

But there are still 12 support staff including a Mental Performance Coach.

Another tough opponent, even without Ramirez, but I like Rose & co on the right defending against Linda C.  The one thing about Colombia is that they can be a really hard nosed tram with some pretty physical fouling and they are capable of the usual "gaming" of the system.  They are still a really good counterpunching side so we have to be aware.but there are goals available for us because I am not sure about their keeping and they are prone to defensive miscues.

Regardless of how things turn out today, I am proud that they came into the France match with the right mentality and then earned the three points needed to get them to this moment instead of doing some form of capitulation that was suggested.  

I wonder if they bring Beckie on to start or continue with her in a sub role?

14 hours ago, red card said:

Of the 6, there are 3 left. The pre/post and in-match analytics coaches are gone. I haven't seen any announcement of replacements.

Bev Priestman (Consett, ENG) – Head Coach
Andy Spence (Liverpool, ENG) – Assistant Coach
Jasmine Mander (Delta, B.C.) – Assistant Coach
Neil Wood (Manchester, ENG) – Assistant Coach
Jen Herst (Warrington, ENG) – Goalkeepers & Set Plays Coach
Joey Lombardi (Brampton, Ont.) – Analyst

But there are still 12 support staff including a Mental Performance Coach.

So these remaining coaches knew nothing about the droning?  Spence himself did an interview on CBC prior to the France match where he said, to paraphrase, that he didn't condone it, or words to that effect.

Can Colombia advance with a loss? If not, I'm struggling to understand the betting odds which have Canada as heavy favourites.

Edit: To answer my own question, Colombia are very likely to advance with a loss of 2 goals or less, though it depends on other results. Those results will be known before the game kicks off.

Edited by jonovision

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Can Colombia advance with a loss? If not, I'm struggling to understand the betting odds which have Canada as heavy favourites.

Probably FIFA rankings + our performance vs. France 

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If the US beats Australia and Germany beats/ties Zambia as expected (I mean, Australia-Zambia ended up 6-5 in a comedy of mistakes) - both these games will end around when Canada/Colombia starts - then yes, Colombia qualifies as long as they lose by 2 goals or fewer, whatever happens in France/NZ.

2 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

If the US beats Australia and Germany beats/ties Zambia as expected (I mean, Australia-Zambia ended up 6-5 in a comedy of mistakes) - both these games will end around when Canada/Colombia starts - then yes, Colombia qualifies as long as they lose by 2 goals or fewer, whatever happens in France/NZ.

Spain beating Brazil (currently 0-0, beginning 2nd half) would also be a favourable result for Colombia.

21 minutes ago, jonovision said:

There haven't been any tie games in the previous two match days so I think that makes it a tough battle for the two third place finishers.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Spain beating Brazil (currently 0-0, beginning 2nd half) would also be a favourable result for Colombia.

I would have thought all six matches would happen concurrently in this qualification arrangement.

Edited by BearcatSA

Spain win 2-0 against Brazil. Colombia advance with a loss of 3 goals or less, as Brazil is stuck on -2 GD, 2 GF (goals for is second tiebreaker).

I suspect Colombia will play to win, or at least not lose, but their two likely paths, beyond the group stage, are:

Win or draw vs Canada: Germany in QF, USA in SF

Lose vs Canada: Spain in QF, France in SF

Neither looks particularly appealing, but which would you prefer?

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Spain win 2-0 against Brazil. Colombia advance with a loss of 3 goals or less, as Brazil is stuck on -2 GD, 2 GF (goals for is second tiebreaker).

I suspect Colombia will play to win, or at least not lose, but their two likely paths, beyond the group stage, are:

Win or draw vs Canada: Germany in QF, USA in SF

Lose vs Canada: Spain in QF, France in SF

Neither looks particularly appealing, but which would you prefer?

Spain is better than Germany, right? So the Germany path might be better - at least you play for a medal.

Colombia can also win Group A if they match France's margin of victory. Then they'd play Brazil in the QF.

2 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

Spain is better than Germany, right? So the Germany path might be better - at least you play for a medal.

Colombia can also win Group A if they match France's margin of victory. Then they'd play Brazil in the QF.

This is true, although I'm expecting a NZ thumping.