Olympic Games: Canada vs New Zealand - Thursday, July 25th - 11am Eastern / 8am Pacific - Saint-Étienne

38 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If anything, defending set pieces are the one area where you'd have the most to gain from spying, and yet it was really the only thing Canada did poorly in the whole game.

There were a ton of unforced giveaways too, it seemed (I can't find stats fo confirm... yet).

39 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I liked her more than Nigel Reed, who was calling the women's Olympic matchs last time, IIRC

100%. Nigel is the worst - a charmless, monotone, conveyor of cliches and statements of the obvious. I enjoyed Signa and Clare today. I appreciated Clare being somewhat critical early on today when it was appropriate.  

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

100%. Nigel is the worst - a charmless, monotone, conveyor of cliches and statements of the obvious. I enjoyed Signa and Clare today. I appreciated Clare being somewhat critical early on today when it was appropriate.  

Convinced the main qualification to be a soccer announcer in Canada was simply to have a UK accent.

Just now, mpg_29 said:

Convinced the main qualification to be a soccer announcer in Canada was simply to have a UK accent.

Still is to be on the "A" team and it pisses me off.  There are some former NT guys coming along as analysts but you need guys doing PBP and colour (save the dork who promotes his own catchphrases)

8 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Yes, as bad as was Graham Leggat.

6 hours ago, The Ref said:

Yes, as bad as was Graham Leggat.

Although objectively, Leggat and Reed are indeed the same bland UK announcer, I at least have a nostalgic pull to Leggat's voice calling games on Soccer Saturday when there was no other soccer available to watch that wasn't live. 

I have no such attachment to Reed, and actually groan and turn the sound down when he is calling a CPL match.  He is an absolute dullard -- the kind of person Monty Python skewered all the time as needing jobs advice.

Graham Leggat had a career as both a player and coach at the very highest level including in Canada in the NASL in the early 70s. In contrast, I have serious doubts as to whether Nigel Reid was even a soccer fan in a UK context. Comes across as a rugger and cricket type to me. As recently as last weekend he seemed to me to be getting one of the most basic principles of the game wrong during the Atletico vs Valour game by stating that the referee has to follow his linesman's advice.

For whatever reason though Canadian soccer fans seem to like what he does or he wouldn't keep getting hired. I was genuinely shocked in the early days of TFC how Bob Iarusci was being viewed with complete disdain on the RPB board despite being a former CMNT player and teammate of players like Chinaglia, Eusebio and Pele, while whatever Nigel Reed said seemed to be taken as gospel presumably because of his posh English accent.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I used to enjoy listening to Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci's podcast when it came out many years ago.  In there, it came up many times that Nigel played goalkeeper, so he was definitely more than just a fan even if he never played professionally.  Also, Bob respected Nigel's opinion on soccer matters, so Nigel had to be more than a fraud on the topic.

I occasionally played both rugby and cricket at school as a kid during gym classes but I have near zero interest in either sport. Nigel playing goalkeeper at some point isn't a particularly high bar. He also used to talk about going to Tonbridge Angels games or maybe it was Trowbridge Town it's been a while. Disagree on the Bob respected Nigel's opinion bit. The way I remember it there was often obvious exasperation and the prego at end could be a bit forced at times.

You needed an English and Italian guy to cover the overseas soccer that had most interest in a GTA context if you were going to try to use a single radio program to cover the sport as the FAN 590 were doing but from what I've always heard there was a major divide along these lines in GTA soccer circles back in the day and my impression was always that Bob Iarusci was bringing some baggage related to that into the studio.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

In a twelve team tourney where you play three group stage matches to eliminate only a third of your field instead of half, getting a win right off the bat is crucial in a team's route to the knock out round.  This echelon of opponent battled but, despite what I thought was a really good finish on the second phase of the corner, they had little outside of the bus parking and even then looked vulnerable to pace.  The second half subs made a big difference.

France next.  I didn't see their match but after going up 3-0 they conceded two in the second half so I am not sure what to expect.

Edited by BearcatSA