Leagues Cup 2024

The problem is they have given this tournament 3 Champions League spots.

The top 6 Liga MX teams have already qualified for 2025 anyways (4 of which are still involved in this year's Leagues Cup)

I'm not sure there is really any way to salvage this tournament. Not every game can include the 3-4 popular Mexican teams. No matter what the format is.

Last year had the Messi bump. But that is gone now.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The problem is they have given this tournament 3 Champions League spots.

The top 6 Liga MX teams have already qualified for 2025 anyways (4 of which are still involved in this year's Leagues Cup)

I'm not sure there is really any way to salvage this tournament. Not every game can include the 3-4 popular Mexican teams. No matter what the format is.

Last year had the Messi bump. But that is gone now.

I actually like the idea of involving the top eight from the previous season in MLS and the Mexican league . This way you can have a shorter two week tournament, moreover , have it every two years instead of every year . I enjoy watching the Mexican league teams play so I don’t mind the idea of this Leagues Cup , however, for it too continue it needs major changes .

the results of it are not a huge deal for them as theyre still winning almost every edition of the biggest competition which is the champions cup...obviously they wanna win leagues cup too but its early in their teams season but its a good opportunity for their fans living in the usa to see them play...there were tons of club america fans tonight at the stadium

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wonder of they take a 2 year hiatus and come back in 2027 with a new format.

There will be massive fixture congestion issues the next 2 summers

Not holding it in 2026 makes sense. But I could see them holding it next year. Only a handful of clubs would be participating in the Club World Cup, and there's lawsuits against that tournament so we'll see if it even goes ahead as it's currently scheduled to.

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's the North American regional qualifier for the CONCACAF Champions Cup. They almost certainly have to hold it every season. No obvious reason why the format always has to be the same though.

Lmfao. Almost certainly?

The tournament is totally redundant. Handing out 3 of the sub-regions 18 spots.

It wouldn't be hard to redistribute the 3 spots. Or even revise the CCC format 

If the MLS need Mexican teams and everyone needs to participate, between the 2 leagues they have 51 teams. Why not find 13 teams from everywhere else and split to 2 proper competitions like everywhere else in the world 

If you actually categorize it like it should be.. you have 48 American and Mexican teams. You find 8 more from everywhere else for either competition and it's a perfect 32, 8 groups, 4 per group format for both competitions

This Leagues Cup format and shutting down the league sucks and for what? 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If the MLS need Mexican teams and everyone needs to participate, between the 2 leagues they have 51 teams. Why not find 13 teams from everywhere else and split to 2 proper competitions like everywhere else in the world 

If you actually categorize it like it should be.. you have 48 American and Mexican teams. You find 8 more from everywhere else for either competition and it's a perfect 32, 8 groups, 4 per group format for both competitions

This Leagues Cup format and shutting down the league sucks and for what? 

The Caps have 41 days between league matches. In that time they had 3 Leagues Cup matches and the Wrexham match. How is that any good from a supporter perspective? 

From the commercial side, 4 MLS teams left isn't good for MLS. 

Leagues Cup was touted by MLS as about capturing more of the Hispanic audience and getting more MLS Season Pass sign ups in Mexico. 

Crew could win Leagues Cup without facing a LigaMX club. Fox Sports is averaging less than 31k for Leagues Cup, over 100k drop from last year. 

On 8/19/2024 at 2:30 PM, Soro17 said:

The Caps have 41 days between league matches. In that time they had 3 Leagues Cup matches and the Wrexham match. How is that any good from a supporter perspective? 

On the other hand, their best player has had time to heal.

21 hours ago, red card said:

From the commercial side, 4 MLS teams left isn't good for MLS. 

Leagues Cup was touted by MLS as about capturing more of the Hispanic audience and getting more MLS Season Pass sign ups in Mexico. 

Crew could win Leagues Cup without facing a LigaMX club. Fox Sports is averaging less than 31k for Leagues Cup, over 100k drop from last year. 

Colorado making a surprise run. Little less attractive than Inter Miami lol.