Depth Chart Project. Shall we?

6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Always interesting to hear where posters have lived. I'm from Quebec, lived in Sask for several years and spent time in other provinces. Would love to see more players from the smaller provinces, rural areas and smaller centres. There absolutely is talent out there beyond Brampton. 

From what I've known and remember, Royal Select de Beauport is one of those clubs that has done well consistently. I haven't followed youth much in recent years, but Quebec City produces good players. It's just a question of organizing and scouting in a strategic way. Hell, I'm sure there's talent in northern Sask if you go look for it. 

Played in northern Sask long time ago 

Best club was a first nation. Unbelievable skills. 0 scouting there & 0 highschool football program. 

22 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Fun topic, cheers.

I'm surprised not to see a lot of players at comparable or higher levels on the list like MacNaughton, Loturi, Abzi, Farsi etc

It also doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have the same depth at one position (GK) as you do for three positions (DM/CM/CAM), but perhaps that's just me

You are spot on many points.

We could have 20 CM or split them into #6, #8 or #10.

I wanted a nice visual with as many players as possible on the depth chart.

I know the 10th goalie will never get a cap, but some new fan or someone that doesn't follow football as much as us could have a better visual!

I will not add the players you just wrote if I don't have a # where to put them on the depth chart. If I do so, it becomes MY DEPTH CHART, now this forum's.

So far I have edited the chart for every comment here.

17 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

But also how do we know more CPL or more MLS players won't try to break into this depth chart between now and 2026? 2 years is a long time

I hope they will break into the depth chart.

23 hours ago, P-O said:

You are spot on many points.

We could have 20 CM or split them into #6, #8 or #10.

I wanted a nice visual with as many players as possible on the depth chart.

I know the 10th goalie will never get a cap, but some new fan or someone that doesn't follow football as much as us could have a better visual!

I will not add the players you just wrote if I don't have a # where to put them on the depth chart. If I do so, it becomes MY DEPTH CHART, now this forum's.

So far I have edited the chart for every comment here.

Maybe edit your first post to include the google doc that was created.

I would put MacNaughton just below Waterman and ahead of Hiebert. Loturi right below Paton perhaps?

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does Cavallini deserve some mention here? Just scored a brace down in Mexico.

David, Larin, Oluwaseyi, now Promise...where does Cavallini fit in?

IMO he doesn't feature again for our A team. Not quick enough and doesn't do enough off the ball to be of use. We have other strikers that fit our system better. 

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does Cavallini deserve some mention here? Just scored a brace down in Mexico.

If Bair and Ugbo have slow starts I do think he should be considered. Especially if he keeps scoring like this.

Leagues Cup is coming up soon. They face Inter Miami in one of the matches. People will be able to judge for themselves if they have access to MLS on Apple TV

Edited by narduch

From the Athletic.

Josua Kloke

With a semifinal appearance at the 2024 Copa America in the rearview mirror, Canada’s men’s national team now looks ahead to the most important event in the team’s history and very likely the history of the sport in Canada: the 2026 World Cup.

Canada will host 13 matches in that tournament as part of its co-hosting duties with the United States and Mexico. And when it does, there will likely be new faces taking the field.

Head coach Jesse Marsch knows he was hired with a focus on raising the bar for the team and competing for a knockout round position in 2026. He also knows his core of players for the World Cup: Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Stephen Eustaquio, Ismael Kone and others will continue their roles as Canada’s stars in front of home crowds.

What Marsch is less sure of is who can supplement that core group and take on valuable minutes in the World Cup. The 50-year-old American only took on the position of head coach in May and is still learning the ins and outs of his player pool. But just as prevalent in Marsch’s mind is the need to develop players so that the gap between the secondary group in Canada’s squad and their counterparts for other nations is not as wide as it appeared during Copa America.

“There needs to be a way to put more responsibility on young players, to challenge them for what the highest standards of games are,” Marsch said. “We actually have the athletes in this country, but we need to develop them in a way that they understand high-level football.”

Marsch led Canada in its first Copa America this summer (Perry McIntyre/Getty Images)

To find those players and tap into that pool of athletes, Marsch and the Canadian men’s national team will likely have to look in their own backyard.

The Canadian Premier League (CPL) played its first season in 2019 with the purpose — at least in part — of providing professional opportunities for Canadian players and developing talent with the incoming World Cup, awarded to the three-country bid the previous year, in mind.

Marsch attended his first CPL game last Sunday, July 14, just days after Canada was eliminated from Copa America, and he undoubtedly saw what Canadians have already seen.

“I just wish the CPL starts pushing more, so we can grow more Canadian players,” Eustaquio said after Canada’s Copa America 2-0 semifinal loss against defending champions and eventual winners Argentina. “2026 is just around the corner, but we still need more Canadians to come around and be better.”

Here is a breakdown of the next wave of domestic talent who could earn a spot in Marsch’s World Cup lineup.

Christopher Kalongo, goalkeeper, Forge FC 

It’s a lot to ask a 22-year-old playing his first full professional season to step up between the sticks for Hamilton’s Forge, arguably the CPL’s consistently best team. But the athletic 183cm (6ft) Kalongo has done that, winning the position from Forge’s more experienced Czech goalkeeper Jassem Koleilat. Kalongo showcases the kind of bravery needed to play in Marsch’s aggressive system, stepping up and out of his goal when needed and distributing the ball well. Named CPL Goalkeeper of the Month for April, there’s a lot of promise to his game, although a move abroad in the next year — as with many of the names on this list — would benefit his development.

Emil Gazdov, goalkeeper, Pacific FC 

Despite making fewer appearances (10) than several goalkeepers in the CPL as the 2024 season nears its halfway point, 20-year-old Gazdov is among its top performers at his position with six clean sheets. Gazdov does well to use his 6ft 5in (195cm) frame to command the area around the goal and snuff out opposition opportunities early on. If it’s pure athletes Marsch wants, he could do a lot worse than Gazdov. But more importantly, Gazdov has become an example of why the CPL was created. He signed his first professional contract with Greater Victoria-based Pacific at 16 after spending time in the Vancouver Whitecaps’ academy. Gazdov also has experience playing with German club FC Nurnberg’s youth sides and that likely won’t be his last European experience. Maxime Crepeau and Dayne St Clair feel like locks as goalkeepers for the 2026 squad but the third spot still feels wide open.

Noah Abatneh, defender, York United 

Abatneh spent time with Roma’s and Lazio’s youth teams in Italy before joining Toronto side York at the start of the 2023 CPL season. Despite his age, the 19-year-old has quickly become a constant presence in York’s back line. The CPL’s rule that dictates each of its eight clubs must afford at least 2,000 minutes to domestic players under the age of 21 throughout the season has benefitted Abatneh. Midway through the 2024 season, he has already logged 1,057 minutes — 20th in the league among all outfield players, and he is younger than the 19 above him.

Abatneh has earned his time by winning aerial duels and using his physicality and confidence to win duels around his goal. He can play centre-back or left-back and shows proficiency and high soccer IQ while dribbling through tight spaces. He doesn’t have the physical presence of current Canada first-choice Moise Bombito but his quality on the ball suggests Abatneh might be a player in his mold eventually.

Matteo de Brienne, defender, Atletico Ottawa 

Voted the CPL’s Best Canadian Under-21 Player of the Year for the 2023 season, De Brienne continues to be depended on for the current league leader, Atletico Ottawa. The 22-year-old is a smart defender who can play as part of a modern, attacking game from the back if necessary: De Brienne has been on the field for 25 of Atletico’s 26 goals this season, top among all their defenders. With De Brienne and his club part of the Atletico Madrid feeder system, he is the type of player who would benefit from a move up the ladder to gain exposure to higher levels of soccer ahead of 2026.

Daniel Nimick, defender, Halifax Wanderers 

If the wild success of Nova Scotia-born Jacob Shaffelburg at Copa America this summer taught us anything, it’s that there is talent throughout Canada, beyond its three largest cities. That talent simply needs to be found. Enter Nimick, the first player born in Newfoundland and Labrador to sign with a CPL team.

At 23, Nimick might be on the older end of the names on this list, but he’s done a lot in his career to date. He spent eight years in the Leeds United academy as well as captaining Harrogate Town’s youth teams in England. Nimick wanted professional playing time and has shown what he can do with it in Canada; he has experience playing as a natural centre-back as well at full-back for Halifax’s Wanderers.

That positional versatility has allowed Nimick to become one of the top distributors from the back within the CPL. He’s not afraid to move further up the pitch to contribute to his team’s chance creation. His technical abilities also have him regularly serving as the designated penalty taker for the Wanderers. Nimick was runner-up for the 2023 CPL Defender of the Year despite being 22 for most of that season. There’s a lot of Alistair Johnston in his game and a national team camp or two of experience learning from the Celtic defender could only help.

Canada's 'Maritime Messi' Jacob Shaffelburg - 'I feel I’ve been overlooked my whole life'

Abdulmalik Owolabi-Belewu, centre-back, Forge FC 

Centre-back is still an area that demands attention for Marsch and the senior men’s national team. The Canada setup must continue to work new centre-backs into the program to determine who can back up the likes of Bombito and Derek Cornelius come 2026. One player to consider is Owolabi-Belewu, a 22-year-old dual national who was born in London, England, before his family moved to London, Ontario, when he was 13.

There is raw talent in Owolabi-Belewu’s game. He has spent time in Toronto FC’s academy as well as having signed with Italian Serie B side SPAL. He did not make a senior appearance in almost two seasons with SPAL, however, and soon moved back to Canada. Now in his second season of professional football with Forge, Owolabi-Belewu shows consistent strength both in ground duels and his ability to win back the ball with decisive tackling. Even at his relatively young age, Owolabi-Belewu shows the necessary courage to close down attackers quickly inside the box.

Alessandro Hojabrpour, defensive midfield, Forge FC 

Hojabrpour is one of the more experienced options from the pool of untapped talent (David Kirouac/Getty Images)

An experienced CPL player, Hojabrpour has over 100 appearances in the competition and has won three CPL finals in a row with Pacific FC, in 2021, and now Forge FC. He is relied on because he brings a lot of what Marsch desires in his central midfielders: composure, the ability to maintain possession and heightened passing abilities to quickly move the ball in transition. Even though Hojabrpour is on the older side, having turned 24 in January, what Marsch might covet in him is his big-game mentality. Hojabrpour has scored six goals in his CPL career and two of those came in two different CPL finals. Given his skill set, he feels like he could be a natural understudy for Eustaquio if he continues to develop.

Themi Antonoglou, wing-back, Valour FC 

A dynamic wing-back who plays a Marsch-type game, 23-year-old Antonoglou loves to move forward fearlessly and take defenders on with his strong dribbling skills. He can create chances from wide areas with his crossing skills, too.

Antonoglou was the 30th player in Toronto FC history to sign for the first team out of the club’s academy, inking his homegrown contract with them in May 2022. He made 13 MLS appearances for the first team before Toronto FC declined his option, though it has made errors with other young players in the past (Shaffelburg being one example). Antonoglou has benefitted from the CPL’s infrastructure, logging more than double the minutes already this season for Winnipeg’s Valour FC he did over two seasons in MLS.

Given his propensity to play a game that Marsch likes, learning from the likes of Tajon Buchanan in the wing-back role feels enticing.

Kwasi Poku, midfield/forward, Forge FC 

(David Kirouac/Getty Images)

On July 14 against Pacific FC, with Marsch in attendance, 21-year-old Poku showed off his remarkable first touch, pace and finishing ability to bag a brace in Forge FC’s 2-1 win.

One of three finalists for the CPL’s 2023 Under-21 Player of the Year award, Poku is an electric performer who has moved from his typical left midfield role to striker as Forge has been beset by injuries this season. Canada has struggled with finishing chances as of late and Marsch may keep an eye on Poku for the future.

Poku has six goals in 13 CPL appearances this season as well as two more goals in the Canadian Championship cup competition, both of which came against MLS sides Montreal and Toronto. He’s got all the attributes of a modern goalscorer, including physicality and daring confidence around the goal. Keep an eye on him. The next steps should be to get a move abroad in the near future and also to get a look with Canada youth sides, considering that only Jonathan David and Cyle Larin are locks at forward.

Lucas Dias, attacking midfield/winger, Sporting Lisbon Under-23s

Portugal-based Dias is not a CPL player but he is evidence of what can happen in the league: he spent the first half of this season on loan with Calgary’s Cavalry FC, logging 592 minutes and adding two assists over all competitions. Dias, 21, is a clever player with the ball who has a nose for goal with sharp, attacking-minded final passes. Toronto-born Dias moved to Sporting’s academy at nine years old and signed his first professional contract there when he was 16. He has played for both countries at age-group level. Canada lacks a true attacking No 10 and Dias getting some looks in national-team camps ahead of the 2026 World Cup would give Marsch a clearer picture of his midfield options.

(Top photo: Getty Images)

41 minutes ago, P-O said:

Despite making fewer appearances (10) than several goalkeepers in the CPL as the 2024 season nears its halfway point, 20-year-old Gazdov is among its top performers at his position with six clean sheets.

The only games he's missed were due to injury or illness

50 minutes ago, P-O said:

From the Athletic.

Josua Kloke

With a semifinal appearance at the 2024 Copa America in the rearview mirror, Canada’s men’s national team now looks ahead to the most important event in the team’s history and very likely the history of the sport in Canada: the 2026 World Cup.

Canada will host 13 matches in that tournament as part of its co-hosting duties with the United States and Mexico. And when it does, there will likely be new faces taking the field.

Head coach Jesse Marsch knows he was hired with a focus on raising the bar for the team and competing for a knockout round position in 2026. He also knows his core of players for the World Cup: Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Stephen Eustaquio, Ismael Kone and others will continue their roles as Canada’s stars in front of home crowds.

What Marsch is less sure of is who can supplement that core group and take on valuable minutes in the World Cup. The 50-year-old American only took on the position of head coach in May and is still learning the ins and outs of his player pool. But just as prevalent in Marsch’s mind is the need to develop players so that the gap between the secondary group in Canada’s squad and their counterparts for other nations is not as wide as it appeared during Copa America.

“There needs to be a way to put more responsibility on young players, to challenge them for what the highest standards of games are,” Marsch said. “We actually have the athletes in this country, but we need to develop them in a way that they understand high-level football.”

Marsch led Canada in its first Copa America this summer (Perry McIntyre/Getty Images)

To find those players and tap into that pool of athletes, Marsch and the Canadian men’s national team will likely have to look in their own backyard.

The Canadian Premier League (CPL) played its first season in 2019 with the purpose — at least in part — of providing professional opportunities for Canadian players and developing talent with the incoming World Cup, awarded to the three-country bid the previous year, in mind.

Marsch attended his first CPL game last Sunday, July 14, just days after Canada was eliminated from Copa America, and he undoubtedly saw what Canadians have already seen.

“I just wish the CPL starts pushing more, so we can grow more Canadian players,” Eustaquio said after Canada’s Copa America 2-0 semifinal loss against defending champions and eventual winners Argentina. “2026 is just around the corner, but we still need more Canadians to come around and be better.”

Here is a breakdown of the next wave of domestic talent who could earn a spot in Marsch’s World Cup lineup.

Christopher Kalongo, goalkeeper, Forge FC 

It’s a lot to ask a 22-year-old playing his first full professional season to step up between the sticks for Hamilton’s Forge, arguably the CPL’s consistently best team. But the athletic 183cm (6ft) Kalongo has done that, winning the position from Forge’s more experienced Czech goalkeeper Jassem Koleilat. Kalongo showcases the kind of bravery needed to play in Marsch’s aggressive system, stepping up and out of his goal when needed and distributing the ball well. Named CPL Goalkeeper of the Month for April, there’s a lot of promise to his game, although a move abroad in the next year — as with many of the names on this list — would benefit his development.

Emil Gazdov, goalkeeper, Pacific FC 

Despite making fewer appearances (10) than several goalkeepers in the CPL as the 2024 season nears its halfway point, 20-year-old Gazdov is among its top performers at his position with six clean sheets. Gazdov does well to use his 6ft 5in (195cm) frame to command the area around the goal and snuff out opposition opportunities early on. If it’s pure athletes Marsch wants, he could do a lot worse than Gazdov. But more importantly, Gazdov has become an example of why the CPL was created. He signed his first professional contract with Greater Victoria-based Pacific at 16 after spending time in the Vancouver Whitecaps’ academy. Gazdov also has experience playing with German club FC Nurnberg’s youth sides and that likely won’t be his last European experience. Maxime Crepeau and Dayne St Clair feel like locks as goalkeepers for the 2026 squad but the third spot still feels wide open.

Noah Abatneh, defender, York United 

Abatneh spent time with Roma’s and Lazio’s youth teams in Italy before joining Toronto side York at the start of the 2023 CPL season. Despite his age, the 19-year-old has quickly become a constant presence in York’s back line. The CPL’s rule that dictates each of its eight clubs must afford at least 2,000 minutes to domestic players under the age of 21 throughout the season has benefitted Abatneh. Midway through the 2024 season, he has already logged 1,057 minutes — 20th in the league among all outfield players, and he is younger than the 19 above him.

Abatneh has earned his time by winning aerial duels and using his physicality and confidence to win duels around his goal. He can play centre-back or left-back and shows proficiency and high soccer IQ while dribbling through tight spaces. He doesn’t have the physical presence of current Canada first-choice Moise Bombito but his quality on the ball suggests Abatneh might be a player in his mold eventually.

Matteo de Brienne, defender, Atletico Ottawa 

Voted the CPL’s Best Canadian Under-21 Player of the Year for the 2023 season, De Brienne continues to be depended on for the current league leader, Atletico Ottawa. The 22-year-old is a smart defender who can play as part of a modern, attacking game from the back if necessary: De Brienne has been on the field for 25 of Atletico’s 26 goals this season, top among all their defenders. With De Brienne and his club part of the Atletico Madrid feeder system, he is the type of player who would benefit from a move up the ladder to gain exposure to higher levels of soccer ahead of 2026.

Daniel Nimick, defender, Halifax Wanderers 

If the wild success of Nova Scotia-born Jacob Shaffelburg at Copa America this summer taught us anything, it’s that there is talent throughout Canada, beyond its three largest cities. That talent simply needs to be found. Enter Nimick, the first player born in Newfoundland and Labrador to sign with a CPL team.

At 23, Nimick might be on the older end of the names on this list, but he’s done a lot in his career to date. He spent eight years in the Leeds United academy as well as captaining Harrogate Town’s youth teams in England. Nimick wanted professional playing time and has shown what he can do with it in Canada; he has experience playing as a natural centre-back as well at full-back for Halifax’s Wanderers.

That positional versatility has allowed Nimick to become one of the top distributors from the back within the CPL. He’s not afraid to move further up the pitch to contribute to his team’s chance creation. His technical abilities also have him regularly serving as the designated penalty taker for the Wanderers. Nimick was runner-up for the 2023 CPL Defender of the Year despite being 22 for most of that season. There’s a lot of Alistair Johnston in his game and a national team camp or two of experience learning from the Celtic defender could only help.

Canada's 'Maritime Messi' Jacob Shaffelburg - 'I feel I’ve been overlooked my whole life'

Abdulmalik Owolabi-Belewu, centre-back, Forge FC 

Centre-back is still an area that demands attention for Marsch and the senior men’s national team. The Canada setup must continue to work new centre-backs into the program to determine who can back up the likes of Bombito and Derek Cornelius come 2026. One player to consider is Owolabi-Belewu, a 22-year-old dual national who was born in London, England, before his family moved to London, Ontario, when he was 13.

There is raw talent in Owolabi-Belewu’s game. He has spent time in Toronto FC’s academy as well as having signed with Italian Serie B side SPAL. He did not make a senior appearance in almost two seasons with SPAL, however, and soon moved back to Canada. Now in his second season of professional football with Forge, Owolabi-Belewu shows consistent strength both in ground duels and his ability to win back the ball with decisive tackling. Even at his relatively young age, Owolabi-Belewu shows the necessary courage to close down attackers quickly inside the box.

Alessandro Hojabrpour, defensive midfield, Forge FC 

Hojabrpour is one of the more experienced options from the pool of untapped talent (David Kirouac/Getty Images)

An experienced CPL player, Hojabrpour has over 100 appearances in the competition and has won three CPL finals in a row with Pacific FC, in 2021, and now Forge FC. He is relied on because he brings a lot of what Marsch desires in his central midfielders: composure, the ability to maintain possession and heightened passing abilities to quickly move the ball in transition. Even though Hojabrpour is on the older side, having turned 24 in January, what Marsch might covet in him is his big-game mentality. Hojabrpour has scored six goals in his CPL career and two of those came in two different CPL finals. Given his skill set, he feels like he could be a natural understudy for Eustaquio if he continues to develop.

Themi Antonoglou, wing-back, Valour FC 

A dynamic wing-back who plays a Marsch-type game, 23-year-old Antonoglou loves to move forward fearlessly and take defenders on with his strong dribbling skills. He can create chances from wide areas with his crossing skills, too.

Antonoglou was the 30th player in Toronto FC history to sign for the first team out of the club’s academy, inking his homegrown contract with them in May 2022. He made 13 MLS appearances for the first team before Toronto FC declined his option, though it has made errors with other young players in the past (Shaffelburg being one example). Antonoglou has benefitted from the CPL’s infrastructure, logging more than double the minutes already this season for Winnipeg’s Valour FC he did over two seasons in MLS.

Given his propensity to play a game that Marsch likes, learning from the likes of Tajon Buchanan in the wing-back role feels enticing.

Kwasi Poku, midfield/forward, Forge FC 

(David Kirouac/Getty Images)

On July 14 against Pacific FC, with Marsch in attendance, 21-year-old Poku showed off his remarkable first touch, pace and finishing ability to bag a brace in Forge FC’s 2-1 win.

One of three finalists for the CPL’s 2023 Under-21 Player of the Year award, Poku is an electric performer who has moved from his typical left midfield role to striker as Forge has been beset by injuries this season. Canada has struggled with finishing chances as of late and Marsch may keep an eye on Poku for the future.

Poku has six goals in 13 CPL appearances this season as well as two more goals in the Canadian Championship cup competition, both of which came against MLS sides Montreal and Toronto. He’s got all the attributes of a modern goalscorer, including physicality and daring confidence around the goal. Keep an eye on him. The next steps should be to get a move abroad in the near future and also to get a look with Canada youth sides, considering that only Jonathan David and Cyle Larin are locks at forward.

Lucas Dias, attacking midfield/winger, Sporting Lisbon Under-23s

Portugal-based Dias is not a CPL player but he is evidence of what can happen in the league: he spent the first half of this season on loan with Calgary’s Cavalry FC, logging 592 minutes and adding two assists over all competitions. Dias, 21, is a clever player with the ball who has a nose for goal with sharp, attacking-minded final passes. Toronto-born Dias moved to Sporting’s academy at nine years old and signed his first professional contract there when he was 16. He has played for both countries at age-group level. Canada lacks a true attacking No 10 and Dias getting some looks in national-team camps ahead of the 2026 World Cup would give Marsch a clearer picture of his midfield options.

(Top photo: Getty Images)

I love our depth

Sorry but while I like that Marsch is seeing CPL games, it is close to irrelevant for the national team.

If any national team coach wants to watch the level of national 3rd tier, all power to him. But he is not doing it for the national team unless you are in an abstracted warp of sorts. 

Totally different would be if Marsch announced he was taking over the u-20s, which maybe he should, and needed to scout the core better, looking at that age group. Other than that, think he should focus on other things, like dual nationals, looking at upcoming rivals, how to make the team work especially in the final 3rd, and dynamics in the 6-week camp, with his team, assistants, physios, that he feels he needs to change. Coaching at a more grassroots level and how to implement better standards across the country. All that ahead of watching CPL, which I find has been grossly overstated and, in that Kloke article, borders on the ridiculous.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

If Bair and Ugbo have slow starts I do think he should be considered. Especially if he keeps scoring like this.

Leagues Cup is coming up soon. They face Inter Miami in one of the matches. People will be able to judge for themselves if they have access to MLS on Apple TV

If Cavallini comes in and scores where the rest are getting chances, and not scoring, great.

At a certain point if our firepower is not firing, we need to start rotating others in and see if they work. Or if they work especially in the Marsch system. I mean of David, Tani, Larin, Bair, so far only the first is showing well in this new era. Shaff, Millar and Tajon obviously can contribute in attack finding assists. Kone shooting long. But if the lack of scoring becomes endemic, start calling in other faces, as long as they are fit and their club play merits it. So Cav, Promise, Russel-Rowe, Kerr. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry but while I like that Marsch is seeing CPL games, it is close to irrelevant for the national team.

If any national team coach wants to watch the level of national 3rd tier, all power to him. But he is not doing it for the national team unless you are in an abstracted warp of sorts. 

Totally different would be if Marsch announced he was taking over the u-20s, which maybe he should, and needed to scout the core better, looking at that age group. Other than that, think he should focus on other things, like dual nationals, looking at upcoming rivals, how to make the team work especially in the final 3rd, and dynamics in the 6-week camp, with his team, assistants, physios, that he feels he needs to change. Coaching at a more grassroots level and how to implement better standards across the country. All that ahead of watching CPL, which I find has been grossly overstated and, in that Kloke article, borders on the ridiculous.

I wonder if he could use his connections to help CPLers transfer on to better teams?

In proportion to the strengths of their respective national teams, I would say that the CPL is to Canada what the Croatian League is to Croatia. Maybe you’re not going to have players called directly to the national team but it’s clearly going to be a breeding ground for future talents. Of course Marsch should be watching and promoting it. He already knows that we have players that have slipped through the cracks so I’m sure he’s very curious to see who else is out there.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am guessing that Jesse Marsch is asking himself, if Moise Bombito, at age 24, is just breaking out, who else has the CSA missed.  The CPL tour is a part scouting trip, part getting to understand how soccer players are coached at different levels, part touching base with the CPL coaches who could be part of his scouting network.  

As you said, it is likely too late for 2026, but hopefully as part of the exercise, he is able to come up with recommendations on how to improve the coaching standards and scouting of players in Canada.

32 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I am guessing that Jesse Marsch is asking himself, if Moise Bombito, at age 24, is just breaking out, who else has the CSA missed.  The CPL tour is a part scouting trip, part getting to understand how soccer players are coached at different levels, part touching base with the CPL coaches who could be part of his scouting network.  

As you said, it is likely too late for 2026, but hopefully as part of the exercise, he is able to come up with recommendations on how to improve the coaching standards and scouting of players in Canada.

While I would agree it’s likely too late we have to remind ourselves that the World Cup is in 23 months and 21 months ago not even the most hardcore fans on this forum knew who Bombito was - a player who is now being touted as not just a Canada regular but one of the best players to ever come out of our country. This already played out with multiple others including Tani, Johnston etc. History actually says that the chances are relatively high that a player moves to a higher level and breaks through from CPL prior to the World Cup. 

So from our Copa squad of 26 we had 2-4 players (Bombito, Tani, Ahmed, Hiebert) almost no one had heard of 20 months prior. We had another in Bair who most thought would be in CPL now. Point being none of us can probably predict the 2026 roster with even 80% accuracy right now. There are more players to come. 

Edited by CanadaFan123