Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

22 hours ago, Addona said:

Say what you will about Oso and his giveaways, which yes, were definitely there, he also plays so many more great combinations in the offensive third … more than I’ve seen from essentially any other midfielder we have…

At times reminded me of his Mexico away game.  Really needed to score on his chance though

On 7/13/2024 at 1:40 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

At least Vancouver has hosted an Olympics, which also involves following the IOC protocols over a course of years, similar to what FIFA requires. It was not a summer olympics but it is fresh enough, there are city officials who understood it and learnt it. Toronto has never hosted an event of that size, so while a major city you really have to take it seriously because just having the Raptors and Jays, a few trade shows, the CNE and the odd parade is nowhere near comparable. 

I know this sounds like a dig but facts are facts, three Olympic cities in Canada and no WC cities so far. Take it seriously and do 20% more than the maximums you are expected and it should work out in a non-embarrassing way.

Not sure what the bar is for cities doing such hosting.  You have previously mentioned that you do know something about the process.  So keep us all filled in on what you learn, or don't learn, about preparations in Canada.

I do suspect that "do 20% more than the maximum" has to be whittled down in places, especially wrt to costs, which will drive so much.  But once goals and expected grades for them are understood, it should be possible to game-play them forward and look for holes and opportunities?  Although...knowing the actual countries involved in matches in Canada will probably consume at least some amount of final planning choices?  Preparing for England versus preparing for South Korea versus preparing for Ghana all have their features...although you could semi-prepare for everyone, based on the main factors identified.  Hmmm...thinking more it would be kinda fun to help with these preparations!

Toronto has...G20 in 2010 with 1 day event + some shoulder events + major security planning to look back at.  ANd some security missteps.  And 2015 PanAm games over 2+weeks with great overlap to WC planning.

24 minutes ago, eramosat said:

Not sure what the bar is for cities doing such hosting.  You have previously mentioned that you do know something about the process.  So keep us all filled in on what you learn, or don't learn, about preparations in Canada.

I do suspect that "do 20% more than the maximum" has to be whittled down in places, especially wrt to costs, which will drive so much.  But once goals and expected grades for them are understood, it should be possible to game-play them forward and look for holes and opportunities?  Although...knowing the actual countries involved in matches in Canada will probably consume at least some amount of final planning choices?  Preparing for England versus preparing for South Korea versus preparing for Ghana all have their features...although you could semi-prepare for everyone, based on the main factors identified.  Hmmm...thinking more it would be kinda fun to help with these preparations!

Toronto has...G20 in 2010 with 1 day event + some shoulder events + major security planning to look back at.  ANd some security missteps.  And 2015 PanAm games over 2+weeks with great overlap to WC planning.

The most common errors are to be overly cocky, underestimate risks, not do hypothetical scenarios, not test systems and protocols, or else assume that because protocols are in place they'll mean you don't have to think. Usually protocols are in place and vetted, but there are always interpretations.

My feeling is that it should be taken like creating any high quality cultural content where there'll be scrutiny and anything less than superb is a bust. I've organized large scale exhibitions in museums: you work nervous, with fear and anticipation, despite being experienced. And you expect everyone around you to rise to the occasion and raise standards, not allowing the mediocre voices to hold away. Everyone on the organizing committee, in logistics, press, design, and working for public administration in the lead up has to be of the right mindset. Then you come away with all the benefits, in image, tourism, added value, sponsorship for future events, and hopefully some architectural legacy which I think we won't get in 2026 because of nearsighted politicians (the small practice and training facilities we won't leave behind, sadly). 

FIFA cares about stadiums but doesn't care if people die building them, which for me demonstrates their standards are truncated and unethical. There is corruption in candidacy processes in Fifa and IOC, and Expos when they mattered, because votes can be bought. The IOC is very classist when it comes to approving sports, in fact many members are from old aristocracies. Football has a simpler, clearer product. A nice soccer pitch is far easier than a bobsled run with good ice. The rules are fairly simple, the game plays itself. So its actually easier than an Olympics. 

Vancouver isn't a winning city, it's a bit slow minded in some respects, but it's gone through multi year processes leading up to an Expo and an Olympics 20-odd years later, there are people who actually know what it all involves and maybe a few even who properly respect and "fear" what it means too. 

The failures at Copa have been excellent lessons for 2026 anywhere in any venue city if you want to take them.

No ratings info yet from TSN. But Bell Media usually does a wrap up release for Euros and this time for Copa.

RDS produced an average of 217k for Uruguay which is second most watched Copa match. Overlapping CFM match delivered 62k ex Apple TV+.

On Super Sunday, Wimbledon Men's Final had an average audience of 127k on RDS. Euro Final on TVA Sports was most watched for day at 198k. Copa America Final on RDS only hit 96k. 

Most watched for the week was 285k for Als game on Thursday.

9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I got a kick out of Bielsa sitting on the cooler in the technical area.  He looked liked the unhappy coach of his granddaugter's U10 house team.

One thing I will say about Bielsa is not only is he a good manager , but he along with Marsh , and Scolini  too a lesser extent  where not afraid to rightfully criticize  the way the tournament was organized 

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

One thing I will say about Bielsa is not only is he a good manager , but he along with Marsh , and Scolini  too a lesser extent  where not afraid to rightfully criticize  the way the tournament was organized 

Only that Marsch took Bielsa's lead, and Bielsa only really got into it after the semi final loss. So it was not coming from managers of two teams that were really alive anymore.

If you are speaking truth, and if truth matters, speak it before, not after. Bielsa doubling down after losing to Colombia, Marsch following his suit after losing to Argentina--sorry guys, that is great, but it is after the fact, and it loses some value. Bielsa complaining about the Bolivia training facilities, great: but he did not say a word until losing semis. So he really did not care that much and his ground ain't so high. Marsch's isn't either, though I loved his comments. 

I loved them, as many Canadians did, because it helped me vent and it was letting off steam after losing. It was meant for the fans and the Canadian media, and I loved it. Only let's not lose sight of when and where he said what he did.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only that Marsch took Bielsa's lead, and Bielsa only really got into it after the semi final loss. So it was not coming from managers of two teams that were really alive anymore.

If you are speaking truth, and if truth matters, speak it before, not after. Bielsa doubling down after losing to Colombia, Marsch following his suit after losing to Argentina--sorry guys, that is great, but it is after the fact, and it loses some value. Bielsa complaining about the Bolivia training facilities, great: but he did not say a word until losing semis. So he really did not care that much and his ground ain't so high. Marsch's isn't either, though I loved his comments. 

I loved them, as many Canadians did, because it helped me vent and it was letting off steam after losing. It was meant for the fans and the Canadian media, and I loved it. Only let's not lose sight of when and where he said what he did.

People were talking about pitches from the very beginning.

People were talking about racist stuff after the first game.

People were talking about "fists" from when it came up.

People were asked about the tournament as a whole, near when it ended.

You are asking people to respond to stuff before it happened so you can try on another moral point.

1.9m on average watched on Saturday evening. It's the second most watched Copa America match after the ARG/CAN semis.

Likely fourth most watched Copa match was the Final with 1.45m average and 4.4m reach. 

For the Euro Final, the average was 1.8m. This was a massive drop from 2021 Final average of 3.6m. The missing Italian connection likely was the main contributor.

But reach was up from 2021's 13.9m to this year's 15m. Combined Copa + Euro reach was 18.7m. For Qatar alone, it was 24m.

Streaming was up 64% but given the drop in the Final viewership, 2021's Final streaming number remains the highest.

TSN/RDS announced that they will show the 2025 Women's Euros. Last edition was free on uefa.tv. Last time TSN showed the W Euros was a few matches from 2013 as at that time, the women's rights came with the men's rights. 

With Fox also announcing rights to the W Euros a few weeks earlier, it's likely TSN will pick up their feed for some to all matches. And as with Copa America, a chunk of the matches will only be available on TSN+. 

Edited by red card

On 7/16/2024 at 8:14 PM, kobasew19 said:

957ad958-650c-46e1-abde-9986624778b0.jpeg

And those American commentators were making fun of the three Canada fans. That picture should prove them wrong. BTW, how did you get all the attending fans together in one picture. 😁