Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Don’t be my friend. This is the best loss in program history. It meant nothing truly and we competed with Uruguay with our depth players. 

I know just disappointing to get that far then lose it you know. Definitely understand the progress however. 

I do hope we keep playing high level competition in friendlies etc. That's what will help the most. 

Something I've noticed, and I see it in the Euros too, is that when a defender is on the back of an opponent there seems to be a real increase where the defender gives a shove. Usually this is as they're tackling, or right after the attacker has distributed the ball. A good example is at 45 + 1 minutes in the first half, but that's the only one I have a mental note of, there are lots!

What gives!?  Why are the refs letting this go?

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

Something I've noticed, and I see it in the Euros too, is that when a defender is on the back of an opponent there seems to be a real increase where the defender gives a shove. Usually this is as they're tackling, or right after the attacker has distributed the ball. A good example is at 45 + 1 minutes in the first half, but that's the only one I have a mental note of, there are lots!

What gives!?  Why are the refs letting this go?

Yup, for a good while it seemed anytime a hand was on someone's back it was an automatic foul, they've been way more forgiving and not in a good way.  I dislike blurred rules when left open to interpretation. 

Same for bodychecks.  Shouldering when running side to side is one thing, but running into someone receiving the ball at full speed shoulder first should always be a foul.

A lot of lessons Canada 🇨🇦 have learned after last night and with this new Marsch philosophy and seeing how Canada 🇨🇦 plays under him now, we can take those same lessons with us into CONCACAF Nations League and towards the 2025 Gold Cup because we have to prepare for those next 2 tournaments and hopefully win some silverware. But the ultimate goal here is preparation for 2026 FIFA World Cup because we are a tri-host and being one of the 3 hosts comes added pressure and expectations from the fan base and the country overall to perform at the highest level.

22 minutes ago, Addona said:

Say what you will about Oso and his giveaways, which yes, were definitely there, he also plays so many more great combinations in the offensive third … more than I’ve seen from essentially any other midfielder we have…

Kone and Staq definitely don’t look for the 1-2 around the opposition box the way that Osorio does. I’ll agree with you.

Edited by Soccerpro2

9 minutes ago, Addona said:

Say what you will about Oso and his giveaways, which yes, were definitely there, he also plays so many more great combinations in the offensive third … more than I’ve seen from essentially any other midfielder we have…

He had some good combinations, yet Choiniere and Kone both had more passes into the final third (11 & 7 vs 4).  

Look, we all love what Osorio has done for us.  We know he brought a unique skillset in the middle that CANMNT was lacking a few years ago, but we aren't the same team anymore.  I'm genuinely happy when I see him in there, but quickly disappointed as the match progresses.  He helped stabilize and brought some calmness to the middle when he came on for Kone a few matches ago, and that is how he can and should be used, once the opponent is a little slower and run down.  He just doesn't have it as a starter anymore in high tempo and high intensity matches.  There is no stat we can pick to make him look like he belongs in there.  He's gotta do more than block passing lanes.  A third place match requires more than calmness and "slowing the game down".

All his matches he's had close to half the touches of the other central players.  36 vs 70 (Kone) and 62 (Choiniere).  Even Tani alone up top had 31 in 10 fewer minutes.  Osorio just doesn't get involved enough, we need someone to actually pressure, win possession and force the opponent into errors.  I'd love to see the stat on his forward passes, I'd say at least 80% were back passes. 

Kone, Stache, Ali, Choiniere can all do what Osorio does and much more.  Might be harsh, but I don't think we see him start for CANMNT again.

This is my positive takeaway: All the newbie fans who weren't around from '01 to '18 now know heartbreak...and it WAS a heartbreaking game to be sure. Maybe I'm cynical or bitter, or both ha ha, but my hope is that this will bring us all together even more than winning a game nobody ever thought we'd be playing in would have. Heartbreak sucks, but with it comes many things; resilience, maturity, and a true bond with those who are in it with you. I watched the match with a buddy I didn't even know was into the sport and it was a beautiful thing. He called Koné "Bicycle Kick" for the rest of the match...and we both lost it after the Suarez goal. He's a newbie, and he's just been blooded. Can't wait for what's in store for this team and this nation.

Edited by PegCityCam

1 hour ago, red card said:

GSad-0qWkAAXJ9a.jfif.png

GSad9wYWsAA2hJb.png

One thing this tournament has affirmed for me is how much these kinds of metrics and stats can be very dubious and often don’t pass the eye test. ESPN FC has reported two different “xg”’s for every game Canada played in this tournament, which not only suggests that there is more than one way to calculate these supposedly objective stats but that the same organization can’t make up its mind in which method to use. While the stats above are sort of interesting, I would like to know how they are calculated (why are only some players included, for example) and whose/which judgment they are using in the first place before I put much stock into them. 

I am proud of this group, fullstop. So proud.

I was shocked to see Davies come on at all and can't help but wonder if he actually shouldn't have taken off Shaff and just played as an attacking winger. I mean, why not? Could have kept Uruguay on the back foot and we all know Phonzie would have loved the chance to go go, go.