Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

To the more tactically astute...here is a screenshot of the 2nd Uruguay goal.

I am not asking to point the finger of blame but what should this look like? I am just trying to make sense of the play.

At that point the back 4 was Davies, Cornelius, Bombito and Laryea.

Laryea hadn't played 90mins since forever, so he's probably gassed. Is he supposed to be closer to Suarez? If so, that leaves the winger down at the bottom wide open.

Should Bombito be deeper? Is Cornelius out of position? Davies too far up?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20240713_232151_YouTube.jpg

Edited by PastPros

14 minutes ago, PastPros said:

I am not asking to point the finger of blame but what should this look like? I am just trying to make sense of the play.

Laryea hadn't played 90mins since forever, so he's probably gassed. Is he supposed to be closer to Suarez? If so, that leaves the winger down at the bottom wide open.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is anything you can do here.

The next Uruguay pass in this sequence plays Suarez onside

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Thanks in advance.

My take: Cornelius was caught here. The through ball to Gimenez caused Bombito to shift and that left Laryea in no man's land to catch Suarez. To be fair, I don't think the backline overall used their numbers well enough on this play given how concentrated they were on the left side of the pitch. No idea what Davies was doing. 

Wee elf was just asking what I think.

I said damn it all it was there's to lose.

She replied with a what.  And a that sounds harsh.

I replied it was not meant to be.  They played themselves into a position where it became there's to lose and that is no small something.

What a day.

Edited by Cheeta

41 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Thanks in advance.

Davies is too far up for sure, and not really marking anyone when we should be in shut-down mode. That's probably not the only error on the play, overall there was a bit of naivety for a young team that was trying too hard to score a 3rd than shut the other team down and waste time by picking up fouls, running into the corner etc - I agree with Marsch's comments in this regard. But that's definitely a teachable moment, so not something I am petrified about for the future. Despite TSN telling us 10 billion times that we don't have any competitive matches left (apparently the Gold Cup is always a breeze for us which we win without trying every 2 years), the upcoming Nations league & Gold Cup matches are important for us to get into the habit of winning & managing games like this.

48 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, The best way to solve the picture is before the screen shot. the simplistic answer is we should have a solid line of 4 atb. Instead we have weird depths and gaps.  Davies is high and the midfielder drifts between him and Koné but also 2 steps behind them.  The pass beats 2 lines of defence, strikers and midfielders. 

Davies is too high and opens up the gap in behind him so the striker can run off Cornelius shoulder down the wing.  Cornleius doesn’t read this because he’s not shoulder checking and bonbito is slightly behind him which allows the striker to stay onside and in a blind spot. Cornelius is too slow so bombito has to cover for him.  

laryea was also high and spaced too far from bombito so he cannot cover bombitos gap. 

if Davies is in line, Koné apply pressure to the midfielder. If he’s to slow getting there, Davies may be able to do track the strikers run and do enough to stop an early cross or at the very least, allow bombito to stay central. 

Shaf also could’ve angled his press of the defender in such a way that he cuts the passing lane into the midfielder. 

All of this happens so quick and we are out of shape so there’s holes in everything I said. “Shafs too far to cut passing lanes so it’s not a realistic solution” etc. but with poor shape, we become Swiss cheese. 

finally, Davies has no winger or fullback to mark on the play. The midfielder has tucked in centrally. Since he’s in no man’s land, it would’ve at least helped if he stepped inside to prevent the midfielder from an easy turn to pass. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't think there is anything you can do here.

The next Uruguay pass in this sequence plays Suarez onside

The problem is far before, when we are not pressing in the middle, when we are sending CBs forward on free kicks, instead of trying to defend a lead. It is pure naivety and an inability to read the game properly, from the coach and the players. You have to batten down the hatches. There was a third place medal and a million US for Canada and we were way out of position, guys on the wrong side of the ball in the build-ups, no time wasting or tactical fouling of note, and did not even seem like we cared that much.

Probably the most depressed I've ever been for a Canadian soccer loss.

Just lost focus on the second goal unfortunately. Insane effort by the young ones that started they beat Uruguay to everything. We keep building depth like that we will have a good world cup.

Canada soccer CANNOT blow the momentum as they have so often. Use this to get sponsorship, excitement, non shit kits from Nike etc. And don't CSA it up

Grow the youth program as well

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Davies is too far up for sure, and not really marking anyone when we should be in shut-down mode. That's probably not the only error on the play, overall there was a bit of naivety for a young team that was trying too hard to score a 3rd than shut the other team down and waste time by picking up fouls, running into the corner etc - I agree with Marsch's comments in this regard. But that's definitely a teachable moment, so not something I am petrified about for the future. Despite TSN telling us 10 billion times that we don't have any competitive matches left (apparently the Gold Cup is always a breeze for us which we win without trying every 2 years), the upcoming Nations league & Gold Cup matches are important for us to get into the habit of winning & managing games like this.

Actually, if you go back and look at the buildup, you'll see that Davies is not to blame - in fact, he had just chased the winger Rodriguez (who had possession) back to centre, and was now retreating to get back into his line.  The real problem was while that was happening, both Gimenez (the CB) and Nandez (the RB) tucked in and ran up the middle between Kone and Choiniere, and neither of them followed.  Those mids have to track those two runners, but they didn't, and as soon as the Rodriguez passed to de Arrascaete (who in turn found Gimenez who had continued his run) it was game over.  We were outnumbered because they flooded the offensive zone and we didn't respond.  Full marks to them for exploiting us, but really just a lack of attention to defensive robustness on our part.  When you're trying to close out a game, you cannot let your opponent just run by you and outnumber you like that.

Edited by GasPed
Corrected my spelling of Gimenez - sorry, Jose.

Bielsa in his press conference: "We barely deserved to tie in the best of cases". 

He also said that the option of his rival coach to give minutes to fresh players, compared to his, relying on starters who were tired, was clearly better, admitting his error. 

He later states that his reading of today's game was possible an erroneous reading. Mentioned that we had an extra day of rest, ignored that they did not travel, said it was not so much a question of rotating players, but that "Uruguay is the team that most needs to run in accordance with the style I propose", always a master of the turn of phrase. He said that up to today's match Uruguay outran all its rivals, but today that was not the case. 

Canada being fresher than Uruguay enabled us to overwhelm them in a few moments--in various moments--of the game, he said, correcting himself. So that even though they have better individual players, what is important is for the best players to be able to dominate. 

Also this gem: "This all meant that the moments we played better it was normal, and the moments they played better it was surprising. It was surprising including for me."

He is truly a unique guy, sometimes deathly right, often totally wrong, always fresh and interesting.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Yes , we squandered some chances, but Uruguay had a number as well.  Slightly offside goal, st. Claire stopped at least two or three one on ones, Cornelius stopped two goals, and then they hit the crossbar.

Could have been a 4-4 game if teams scored on a higher percentage of chances and they still could have each missed a couple.

Edited by AvroArrow

We are still camping so I didn’t post during the game but just wanted to say that people heard us cheering as we huddled around a laptop and watched David score the go-ahead goal. A guy came over asking if we were watching the game so we invited him to stay and watch the rest of it.  He came back with his two kids and they hung out until it was all over.  The dudes were prob around 10 and 13 and they both knew some of our players and guys like Suarez.  

Everyone was disappointed with the result but it was pretty cool to randomly encounter this sort of interest last night.  Silver linings and all that.  

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We are still camping so I didn’t post during the game but just wanted to say that people heard us cheering as we huddled around a laptop and watched David score the go-ahead goal. A guy came over asking if we were watching the game so we invited him to stay and watch the rest of it.  He came back with his two kids and they hung out until it was all over.  The dudes were prob around 10 and 13 and they both knew some of our players and guys like Suarez.  

Everyone was disappointed with the result but it was pretty cool to randomly encounter this sort of interest last night.  Silver linings and all that.  

Very cool. We were at a brewery in Niagara and the entire restaurant was watching. They turned off the music and had the commentary on the whole match. By the end everyone in the restaurant was standing and watching the penalties.

6 hours ago, Canucklehead69 said:

Probably the most depressed I've ever been for a Canadian soccer loss.

Just lost focus on the second goal unfortunately. Insane effort by the young ones that started they beat Uruguay to everything. We keep building depth like that we will have a good world cup.

Canada soccer CANNOT blow the momentum as they have so often. Use this to get sponsorship, excitement, non shit kits from Nike etc. And don't CSA it up

Grow the youth program as well

Don’t be my friend. This is the best loss in program history. It meant nothing truly and we competed with Uruguay with our depth players.