Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No doubt but I meant from a management perspective. Can’t say we’re putting our best foot forward if Piette is starting opposite Valverde. 

Piette & Eustaquio played well together against Uruguay in the friendly in 2022. Why didn’t Piette get the start in DM over invisible Oso? Guy has been a servant for Canada. Didn’t get a minute at the World Cup and nothing so far at Copa America. Ridiculous.

This game will be interesting. It is almost like when Marsch first took over, he was experimenting with the players he had. The Bombito/LDF pairing will be one to watch, just hope they have the chemistry to play together.  Ahmed in the advanced role might work, he has attaching instincts and plus he can also run forever, similar to David. Having Osorio on the field is a good idea, he can speak to the ref in Spanish over ant questionable calls. It is good to put St. Clair in a big game situation, the friendlies cannot duplicate the pressure. 

Ive considered all the arguments to the contrary. After seeing that lineup Im livid. We dreamed of making games like this in years and decades past. Now that we are here, we do this and mail it in. We are treating this game like a friendly. 

I can certainly appreciate both points of view on the roster selection. Kevin Kilbane made some good points on the pregame panel on using the opportunity efficiently but some of these guys looked good coming on versus Argentina (yes I know they let up and sat back, plus subs). I just don’t want to see a coach like Herdman did become complacent in roster choices and stagnant. This is a great opportunity for some younger guys who don’t get a chance. 

Not sure why some people are so miffed about the squad rotation here. This game provides a very rare combination of meaningful game (ie. not a friendly) + high quality opponent + result doesn't matter. It's the perfect game to run out some younger players and get them experience so in WC26, we can rotate the squad more to keep our big guns fresh for the knockout rounds. If we want guys like LDF, Tani, Ahmed and Choiniere to be trusted depth pieces and future starters, we need to get them meaningful minutes and preferably starts. This is the best opportunity to do that and ironically, it may give us the best chance of a result vs. a tired Uruguay squad with very little rotation on the other side.

1 minute ago, Wasp said:

Not sure why some people are so miffed about the squad rotation here. This game provides a very rare combination of meaningful game (ie. not a friendly) + high quality opponent + result doesn't matter. It's the perfect game to run out some younger players and get them experience so in WC26, we can rotate the squad more to keep our big guns fresh for the knockout rounds. If we want guys like LDF, Tani, Ahmed and Choiniere to be trusted depth pieces and future starters, we need to get them meaningful minutes and preferably starts. This is the best opportunity to do that and ironically, it may give us the best chance of a result vs. a tired Uruguay squad with very little rotation on the other side.

He seems to be a man of his word so far.

Said these games were important but in the end they are about  2026.

Said people (implying him) didn't care about 3rd place games.

For good or bad, it shouldn't be surprising.

25 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

Ive considered all the arguments to the contrary. After seeing that lineup Im livid. We dreamed of making games like this in years and decades past. Now that we are here, we do this and mail it in. We are treating this game like a friendly. 

i go back and forth between both arguments, but for me, most important is NOT HAVING OUR STARTERS GET BLASTED 4-0 (or worse).   

4-0 is definitely more likely now, but ide be fine with that knowing it wasnt our strongest side.  

not sure if it fits, but kinda like slow playing poker.  rather keep our strength secret until it matters

Edited by kungfucious