Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I like the use of the word "plague" by Bielsa there. They aren't a "bunch of liars" or a "group of liars" but a "plague" of them, which makes it sound like the falsehood condition is spreading throughout South America and will eventually lead to the next installment of Resident Evil.

Biblical and melodramatic! So very South American.

I found the game last Friday and then through Tuesday to be such an emotional few days. Winning in that fashion and feeling that momentum across the country was amazing. I know this is first world problems, but when we went to Qatar, I didn’t get to see/share what it was like here in Canada and I feel that was something I missed out on despite the incredible experience I had actually being there to witness it. Feeling the euphoria this past week and then joining everyone in New York and being a part of that march from the mall was something I’ll never forget.  Losing sucked and I really hate Argentinian fans now. They're trash.

After a few days to reset I’m really looking forward to this game now and seeing some new faces playing. The last 4 months under Kevin Blue and now Jesse Marsch has been a rebirth. I hope we find more gems in our system the next 24 months and keep adding to our depth. It’s going to be amazing in 2026 

5 hours ago, red card said:

Here the subtitled Bielsa rant about FIFA Gate, pitches, training facilities, who should actually be suspended...

You have to adore this man !! I met him in Bilbao ,  what a nice guy.  So serious but he can crack a respectful joke around .  

I met him after his famous win at Old Trafford he gave us a few free tickets from the Basque derby Osasuna vs Athletic Club he is a cult hero wherever he goes 

7 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Apparently Bielsa didn't hold back:

He's been an original mind for a long time. Not saying he's the greatest of coaches, but he's one of the most original. He happens to be a great football analyst and writer. He had a column during  the 1998 World Cup in Spanish paper El Pais, he was wonderful. Then Espanyol hired him but he was immediately offered the Argentina job and he left. 

I realize people think his meandering is age but it's not, he was the same 25 years ago.

My personal view is that they're exaggerating a lot because basic conditions for Copa are regularly precarious and often significantly worse than what we've seen here. It's not entirely genuine but since the tournament is meant to help the US prepare any blowback is good. Canada should take a lesson for 2026.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's been an original mind for a long time. Not saying he's the greatest of coaches, but he's one of the most original. He happens to be a great football analyst and writer. He had a column during  the 1998 World Cup in Spanish paper El Pais, he was wonderful. Then Espanyol hired him but he was immediately offered the Argentina job and he left. 

I realize people think his meandering is age but it's not, he was the same 25 years ago.

My personal view is that they're exaggerating a lot because basic conditions for Copa are regularly precarious and often significantly worse than what we've seen here. It's not entirely genuine but since the tournament is meant to help the US prepare any blowback is good. Canada should take a lesson for 2026.

I would love for Canada's 2 venues to be ready in every way...match venues...practice venues...security at both...travel volumes at all venues...and hospitality needs surrounding it all.  

My only similar experience is downtown Toronto's preparation for hosting the G7.  It did a lot...but not as much as it could have.  Maybe not as much animosity to prepare for, but I don't know for sure.

3 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I would love for Canada's 2 venues to be ready in every way...match venues...practice venues...security at both...travel volumes at all venues...and hospitality needs surrounding it all.  

My only similar experience is downtown Toronto's preparation for hosting the G7.  It did a lot...but not as much as it could have.  Maybe not as much animosity to prepare for, but I don't know for sure.

At least Vancouver has hosted an Olympics, which also involves following the IOC protocols over a course of years, similar to what FIFA requires. It was not a summer olympics but it is fresh enough, there are city officials who understood it and learnt it. Toronto has never hosted an event of that size, so while a major city you really have to take it seriously because just having the Raptors and Jays, a few trade shows, the CNE and the odd parade is nowhere near comparable. 

I know this sounds like a dig but facts are facts, three Olympic cities in Canada and no WC cities so far. Take it seriously and do 20% more than the maximums you are expected and it should work out in a non-embarrassing way.

St Clair 

Richie ldf miller Ali 

Koné choiniere 

millar David shaf

tani

i think we go for the win. But rotate guys reasonably. 

richie over aj because of minutes played 

ldf to cap tie and give experience. Millers trusted as well.

Ali is our only lb choice if Richie is rb. 

staqs tired. Koné is fresher. Choinieree deserves minutes more than piette. 

no true options at wing. 

david and Tani to see their connection. Could also be jrr for David but I think David starts. 

5 hours ago, Bigandy said:

St Clair 

Richie ldf miller Ali 

Koné choiniere 

millar David shaf

tani

i think we go for the win. But rotate guys reasonably. 

richie over aj because of minutes played 

ldf to cap tie and give experience. Millers trusted as well.

staqs tired. Koné is fresher. Choinieree deserves minutes more than piette. 

no true options at wing. 

david and Tani to see their connection. Could also be jrr for David but I think David starts. 

If we want to go for a win and cap tie ldf, then sub him in at the 90th minute. Dont start him. 

I think David and Eustaquio need to be the first ones rested.  

David coming on to later to win us it and give himself a transfer highlight would be a nice arc.

That said not sure we have another striker to play Davids deeper role. So would love to see 3 in midfield (not Osorio as much he has performed a role well, looking to the future).  But I would also get not wanting to add a formation change to training.

Probably Shaffellburg later as well.

If you think de Fougerolles is good enough you start him. Probably that simple. He is not going with the u20s.

But lots of factors in play, like how Uruguay are going to approach this.

9 hours ago, Bigandy said:

My guess is that Johmston will keep his starting place and Laryea replaces the injured Davies.  Ahmed should remain as a latter game sub.

Would assume if LDF starts, it will be at RB. A bit much to expect him at CB vs Uruguay? 1 of Bombito/Derek (wouldn't be surprised to see  both start though) at CB with Miller and then Richie at LB. Gotta keep it tight on defence if we want to  compete. Changes have to come at forward and mid where David has run  ragged, Larin doesn't look like he's going to score and Choiniere deserves to start. Bair at CF to knock some heads 🙂

24 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Apparently expecting 15k -20k fans tonight. Which isn’t that bad tbh, but the stadium is going to look absolutely empty unless they start giving free tickets

I’m there and haven’t bought tickets yet…waiting for the price drop…

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Would assume if LDF starts, it will be at RB. A bit much to expect him at CB vs Uruguay? 1 of Bombito/Derek (wouldn't be surprised to see  both start though) at CB with Miller and then Richie at LB. Gotta keep it tight on defence if we want to  compete. Changes have to come at forward and mid where David has run  ragged, Larin doesn't look like he's going to score and Choiniere deserves to start. Bair at CF to knock some heads 🙂

De Fougerolles didn't play RB all this year, at least.   Bigger risk there than at centre back in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

If Uruguay runs out their best 11 I hope we counter with our best as well.  2 changes would be fine but I’d like to give our potential WC starting 11 one last opportunity for a match like this.

Don't disagree but we've had very little rotation for some starters and the risk of injury must be a concern  now. A 6th game vs 5 to date  is not going to make much of a difference re experience. Plus we had 2 high profile friendlies prior to Copa.

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

De Fougerolles didn't play RB all this year, at least.   Bigger risk there than at centre back in my opinion.

I assume you mean at youth level, because he only played 1 cup match with Fulham at CB

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I assume you mean at youth level, because he only played 1 cup match with Fulham at CB

He is (hopefully was) still mostly a youth player despite being on the bench for the first team a handful of times (with no other CB on the bench.) 

All the games I watched him and all the other games he was listed at centre back this season

He was playing fullback with u18s before last year but since he has stepped up it has been consistent. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No idea how ITK this account is

They're going to be gassed. That lineup has played every game of full tilt pressing soccer

I think having some rotation and bringing on a few of our big guns if the game is still in question in the second half is not the worst play. I wouldn't let Davies play at all no need to risk him after last game. I would Tani and his speed get the start to see what he can do with it