Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

24 minutes ago, ensco said:

I hope Uruguay bring their A game, with A players, with max intensity. I don’t want too much squad rotation, I think you guys are expecting more than will actually happen.

We get so few opportunities to see what these types of elite teams bring when they turn it on. We need to learn how to handle that. Mexico spent something like 50 years trying to get there- and couldn’t.

It is very hard - and live fire training drills are incredibly few and far between.

It’s a double edged sword. I get what you’re saying, but there will be a handful of guys in 2 years who could/should be in the top 15 to 16 rotation who aren’t right now and they need some experience in these games too. Marsch has said this is gearing up for ‘26. If this was Herdman I know what the strategy would be. Looking forward to this line up drop more than any in this tournament because I think we all know for the most part who would be playing in the previous games 

"Darwin Núñez, Matías Viña, Mele, José María Giménez, Mathías Olivera, Pellistri, Ronald Araújo, Brian Rodríguez, Emiliano Martínez, Bentancur and Sebastián Cáceres are the 10 Uruguayan players Conmebol is looking into. As the deadline to respond is next week, they will be able to play vs Canada for 3rd"

Not sure how reliable this guy is tho

Edited by imoffside

27 minutes ago, imoffside said:

"Darwin Núñez, Matías Viña, Mele, José María Giménez, Mathías Olivera, Pellistri, Ronald Araújo, Brian Rodríguez, Emiliano Martínez, Bentancur and Sebastián Cáceres are the 10 Uruguayan players Conmebol is looking into. As the deadline to respond is next week, they will be able to play vs Canada for 3rd"

Sounds right. They have time to respond and can play against us.

The key I believe is that the incidents are not included in the referee report and never were sanctioned by the ref in the act.

41 minutes ago, imoffside said:

as some have already said, it doesn't benefit Uruguay one bit to delay decisions on any players suspensions...probably better to miss a game for 3rd in the Copa than any WC qualifiers.

but Uruguay should do what they want.  I see little advantage for Canada, either way...they will need to play great, and within their capabilities, no matter who they face to get a result.

I'm watching the Venezuelan pundit on ESPN talk about how Colombia will be hard pressed to come back from breaking down crying after their last match win, and "re-fill" the necessary emotional tank to win.  That is some world-class wild-ass punditry!!

p.s.  he is an awfully emotionally wild, and sometimes smug, and oft times insightful...prick of a pundit!

Edited by eramosat

6 hours ago, narduch said:

This is a Conmebol run event. Doubtful players would miss WCQ, which are run by FIFA.

It's all under Fifa and watched by Fifa. Down to early rounds of a national Cup with TSS vs Valour.

But what's clear is that a ton of articles in Rules if the Game get stretched. And manipulated. 

We are also naive: Uruguay's CONMEBOL rivals are pressing for sanctions to get an advantage in qualifying and our CSA execs at Copa are sitting back in their boxes drinking ice wine. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, narduch said:

This is a Conmebol run event. Doubtful players would miss WCQ, which are run by FIFA.

If there are real suspensions you could see players miss club time(why Liverpool people are so interested)  which would have nothing to do with CONMEBOL either.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are also naive: Uruguay's CONMEBOL rivals are pressing for sanctions to get an advantage in qualifying and our CSA execs at Copa are sitting back in their boxes drinking ice wine. 

Like a lot of your judgmental asides, what is this based on?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's all under Fifa and watched by Fifa. Down to early rounds of a national Cup with TSS vs Valour.

But what's clear is that a ton of articles in Rules if the Game get stretched. And manipulated. 

This would be like suspending someone for an EPL game for something that happened in the FA Cup

Bottomline: All Uruguayan players under investigation can play against Canada - if there are suspensions, they will be served during 2026 WCQ.  

Translation below:

URUGUAY DEVELOPMENT 🇺🇾

Around 8:00 p.m., AUF received the documents that have the 11 names of the players who participated in the final episodes for CONMEBOL.

The documents include the names, number in the competition and the cause attributed to them for the purposes of dealing with the sanctions to be determined.

The 11 players are:

02, José María Gimenez

03, Sebastian Caceres

04, Ronald Araujo

06, Rodrigo Bentancur

11, Facundo Pellistri

16, Mathias Olivera

17, Matias Vina

18, Brain Rodriguez

19, Darwin Nuñez

21, Emiliano Martinez

23, Santiago Mele

Each of the players' names is accompanied by film evidence and the reason for which a disciplinary file is opened.

Until next Wednesday 17 AUF you will have time to present your defenses in writing.

After that day, a period will begin for CONMEBOL to study and resolve whether or not to sanction each of the aforementioned players.

There are no preventive sanctions, so these players are fit to play on Saturday against Canada.

The corresponding penalties must be served in the 2026 Qualifiers matches, starting next September when, during the resumption, Uruguay will host Paraguay and then visit Venezuela.

There may also be a financial fine if deemed appropriate.

Edited by GasPed

21 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Bottomline: All Uruguayan players under investigation can play against Canada - if there are suspensions, they will be served during 2026 WCQ.  

Translation below:

URUGUAY DEVELOPMENT 🇺🇾

Around 8:00 p.m., AUF received the documents that have the 11 names of the players who participated in the final episodes for CONMEBOL.

The documents include the names, number in the competition and the cause attributed to them for the purposes of dealing with the sanctions to be determined.

The 11 players are:

02, José María Gimenez

03, Sebastian Caceres

04, Ronald Araujo

06, Rodrigo Bentancur

11, Facundo Pellistri

16, Mathias Olivera

17, Matias Vina

18, Brain Rodriguez

19, Darwin Nuñez

21, Emiliano Martinez

23, Santiago Mele

Each of the players' names is accompanied by film evidence and the reason for which a disciplinary file is opened.

Until next Wednesday 17 AUF you will have time to present your defenses in writing.

After that day, a period will begin for CONMEBOL to study and resolve whether or not to sanction each of the aforementioned players.

There are no preventive sanctions, so these players are fit to play on Saturday against Canada.

The corresponding penalties must be served in the 2026 Qualifiers matches, starting next September when, during the resumption, Uruguay will host Paraguay and then visit Venezuela.

There may also be a financial fine if deemed appropriate.

I think Uruguay would much rather any suspensions are served on Sat, rather than in WCQ. 

19 minutes ago, frattinator said:

I think Uruguay would much rather any suspensions are served on Sat, rather than in WCQ. 

But they won't be.

So we will see how important a 3rd place finish is, to Uruguay.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

This would be like suspending someone for an EPL game for something that happened in the FA Cup

Editing as I just read a Uruguayan site that references the Conmebol rules:

https://www.montevideo.com.uy/Deportes/-Cuando-cumplirian-sus-sanciones-los-jugadores-uruguayos-en-caso-de-recibirlas--uc893855

in article "72, point 1, it states 'unless the legal organisms decide otherwise, suspensions for matches and suspensions that impede someone from fulfilling their given responsibilities must be served during the course of the competitio in which the infraction occurred.

The second point states: 'Any suspension for matches or that impedes someone from fulfilling their given responsibilities that has not been served fully upon completion of the competition in which the infraction took place, will be extended to the next competition of the same category in which the suspended individual could participate.

Further to this, section C of point 3 states: 'a suspension that cannot be fulfilled during the Conmebol Copa América will automatically be extended to the next official match of the national team affected in any competition organized by FIFA or Conmebol." 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Apparently Bielsa didn't hold back:

I really enjoy what he brings to the sport and agree with a lot of what he says, that said, he does love a rant. 

Some of it comes down to how much money was provided and who was suppose to provide it.  I don't know those organising bits about this tournament. 

The crowd thing seems simple.  In England you have to have a lot stewards seperating goups; the club is responsible and is seriously fined if they don't hire enough.

I have been told to sit down enough times to know they at least have to make a show of being there and doing their job. For instance.

But it sounds like someone (be interested to know who) cheaped out on a lot of things here.  It's not like these are not good to excellent facilties most of the year.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Doing God's work?

No idea if it's true or not, but the comedy gold on the Reddit is laugh out loud funny: 

"Holy Father is not a fan of Darwinism"

"He was just trying to get Darwin to turn the other cheek"

"Priest just won the Darwin award" 

"He was just administering last rites to Darwin's Copa"

6 minutes ago, GasPed said:

No idea if it's true or not, but the comedy gold on the Reddit is laugh out loud funny: 

"Holy Father is not a fan of Darwinism"

"He was just trying to get Darwin to turn the other cheek"

"Priest just won the Darwin award" 

"He was just administering last rites to Darwin's Copa"

Actually, it's not true - the priest in the photo is Father Luis Toro of Venezuela, who was nowhere near BOA stadium at the time.  :(

https://www.infobae.com/colombia/deportes/2024/07/12/cura-venezolano-fue-senalado-erroneamente-de-golpear-a-darwin-nunez-en-partido-entre-colombia-y-uruguay/ 

I like the use of the word "plague" by Bielsa there. They aren't a "bunch of liars" or a "group of liars" but a "plague" of them, which makes it sound like the falsehood condition is spreading throughout South America and will eventually lead to the next installment of Resident Evil.