Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

Really hope he doesn't go for a complete shuffle. I get our guys may be tired but they earned this game no? If guys vocally express that they're cooked or if Marsch is genuinely unsatisfied with a certain player's performance then I get the switch. If he's just looking to "try something new" or to simply get some mins in for a few guys, I'll be disappointed. This is still a MASSIVE game and an opportunity that we won't get again for at least a year (and that's if the GC brings in some more teams)  High level tourney soccer is not the time to sit guys. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Really hope he doesn't go for a complete shuffle. I get our guys may be tired but they earned this game no? If guys vocally express that they're cooked or if Marsch is genuinely unsatisfied with a certain player's performance then I get the switch. If he's just looking to "try something new" or to simply get some mins in for a few guys, I'll be disappointed. This is still a MASSIVE game and an opportunity that we won't get again for at least a year (and that's if the GC brings in some more teams)  High level tourney soccer is not the time to sit guys. Just my opinion.

Regardless of how much Marsch rotates, I am willing to bet it will be less than Uruguay will rotate.

We are playing for history. Uruguay on the whole will be reeling from not making the final and will be relatively uninterested. Bielsa may fully rotate to give the bench players a chance to show what they got, and to rep their national team, of course.

This scenario would be good for Canada. 

Three of the four mentioned have played well in games and are our future - have some faith in our depth - and LDF may surprise you and you say wow.   Look at the 16 year old kid on Spain.  You need to take risks and look ahead.  Our regulars are tired as well.  Every Argentine outfield player has played in tournament - and yes their depth is not comparable - but the logic and strategy is the same.  

9 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

For good or bad, he doesn't seem to see it as massive, pretty explicitly.

“I always think it’s a little bit odd to have the third-placed match in this tournament because the fans aren’t really that interested and the teams are disappointed to play in that match,” 

Maybe that was exhaustion and frusteration talking but his focus before was always on 2026. 

But yeah I would not want everything changed.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

ESPN were reporting that Colombian fans were attacking a section of Uruguay supporters that contained family members of the Uruguayan players. Darwin Nunez supposedly had a toddler in the section, along with his wife. I haven't seen the footage, but based on what's being said I don't blame him for defending his family, if that's how it went down. 

The accounts I've seen have him going into the crowd after his family had vacated the section.  In fact there's one clip of him climbing the wall, talking to what appears to be his spouse/partner briefly, and then going straight up into the stands guns blazing.  Whether that was to exact retribution for harm done to his family or to protect Uruguayans who were still up there, it's hard to tell...

Just now, A Different Perspective said:

Three of the four mentioned have played well in games and are our future - have some faith in our depth - and LDF may surprise you and you say wow.   Look at the 16 year old kid on Spain.  You need to take risks and look ahead.  Our regulars are tired as well.  Every Argentine outfield player has played in tournament - and yes their depth is not comparable - but the logic and strategy is the same.  

image.png.01808105d013a102bb07a06ebdcdfc95.png

How would you all feel about this? It's a mix of what I want to see and what I think Marsch will do.

• Cornelius-Bombito partnership gets another rep, as they're our pairing moving forward. 
    • Could also see a brand new pairing, maybe Miller-LDF or Miller-Waterman.
  • Johnston gets a rest, LDF comes in
  • Davies gets a rest (or may be out injured), Heibert comes in
  • Eustaquio gets a rest, Choiniere comes in
  • Marsch continues his investment in Kone and Shaff.
  • David and Larin start, get replace by Tani and Bair/JRR, depending on how the game goes
  • Garbage minutes for Piette if we are defending a result late on.
  • Chance we bring on Eustaquio if we need to inject some quality.
  • Crepeau continues....

10 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Maybe I will say "wow" or maybe we'll get destroyed. Like I said, just my opinion. I don't see a problem with a couple of changes, especially with the guys who've shown well. Just not a wholesale, or close to wholesale, change is what I'm saying. I'm starting to have more faith in our depth so point taken there, I'm just not of the opinion that a tournament game of this magnitude (perhaps the only one we'll have at this level) before we host a WC is the time to put THAT much faith in our depth.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How would you all feel about this? It's a mix of what I want to see and what I think Marsch will do.

• Cornelius-Bombito partnership gets another rep, as they're our pairing moving forward. 
  • David and Larin start, get replace by Tani and Bair/JRR, depending on how the game goes
  • Crepeau continues....

I like most of it, but I'd put Millar in for Hiebert, as I really don't want to see the poor guy struggle out there again.  Also would put Tani in for one of the strikers (whoever is the most beat up).  As for subs, would definitely look for a chance to get Bair in there, the rest would just be on an as-needed basis.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

• Crepeau continues....

That is close. It is a close one between keepers.

The midfield could be right. I want to see Piette getting minutes. Russell Rowe could be an option instead of Shaff.

I think Laryea will go in as a fullback, and Kamal Miller as the other fullback. And one of the CBs will get a rest giving LdF minutes, as per Marsch.

My preference is to have 4-5 who have gotten minutes and not to have too many places where the entire section or combo is new.

I would also not start either David or Larin, Tani and Bair could work. 

8 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Maybe I will say "wow" or maybe we'll get destroyed. Like I said, just my opinion. I don't see a problem with a couple of changes, especially with the guys who've shown well. Just not a wholesale, or close to wholesale, change is what I'm saying. I'm starting to have more faith in our depth so point taken there, I'm just not of the opinion that a tournament game of this magnitude (perhaps the only one we'll have at this level) before we host a WC is the time to put THAT much faith in our depth.

I hope you say Wow 😊.   I don’t see wholesale changes however but I think Marsch will experiment a bit in first half and won’t let the score get beyond one goal.   I think as shared earlier he will finish with his strongest players - just a hunch.  

55 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Above there is footage of him threatening the Columbia fans, picking up a chair but to be fair throwing back on the ground.

Although it's not clear from the footage, apparently if you slow it down you can see that the only reason the chair didn't fly into the crowd was because a security guard managed to get a hand on it just as he released it.

Also footage of Bentancur throwing a glass water bottle into the stands, accidentally hitting a Uruguayan staffer and dazing/bloodying him.

Maybe all in retaliation to things being thrown at them, but still, crazy.

If we are rotating David out for the 3rd place game (and despite being one of his biggest backers here, I think we should) Osorio or Choiniere might be a more logical replacement than one of the other strikers. David was doing a lot of work in midfield, both in attack and defending, and I'm not sure any of the other strikers have the same profile.

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Although it's not clear from the footage, apparently if you slow it down you can see that the only reason the chair didn't fly into the crowd was because a security guard managed to get a hand on it just as he released it.

Also footage of Bentancur throwing a glass water bottle into the stands, accidentally hitting a Uruguayan staffer and dazing/bloodying him.

Apparently I got in the weeds on this, maybe because of last year.

But if the story is protecting women and children, he is way beyond them for the entire time of the altercation.  He bumps a women in an Uruguay shirt but she is filming seconds later.  That is the closest woman I see. 

It looks like men against men when he climbed up and got involved.  

28 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Let's be real there was no way Nunez was hitting what he wanted to with the chair no matter what deflection it took

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Above there is footage of him threatening the Columbia fans, picking up a chair but to be fair throwing back on the ground.

Not sure if that is before or after him being in the crowd. 

I am sympathetic as you say and because of what happened to West Ham.  

I guess when you do say the threat to your family is gone and when are you expected to dial it back. 

Here we go again... is not Columbia, it is Colombia with an o.

1 hour ago, PegCityCam said:

Agreed: Massive game, very important to get a positive result.

But under "Lessons Learned at Copa" is this: It ain't gonna get cooler in 2026. And the flights don't get shorter...unless you win your group. Granted, Vancouver should be naturally air conditioned but I think everyone had learned Tuesday night that if you want to play a great 5th match, Round of 16 in 2026...you need to balance rest and performance, even at the risk of not getting a result. We didn't do that properly vs. Peru in a must-result game; we definitely couldn't do it in a must-win match vs Chile. But we must figure out how to survive the heat of Toronto, Los Angeles, heaven forbid Boston & Philadelphia.

So Saturday is one opportunity to see players in a meaningful match; the others are Nations League SF & F*, and perhaps Gold Cup if Vic can be bothered to organize one. You need to play the bottom of the roster against the likes of Botswana, Cook Islands, and NW Arkansas St. during the WC Group stages. And the opportunity for Marsch to evaluate those candidates in a competitive match against a peer opponent is...Saturday. And hopefully a bit in '25.

What's more important: Winning 3rd vs. 4th Saturday, or winning a Round of 32 World Cup match when you must be confident enough to start a second-stringer to manage your roster?

(Actually, our draw may be the coldest of all 128 teams @ WC. Toronto in early June, Vancouver x 4, or perhaps S.F. & Seattle. Even L.A/Houston isn't as bad as Monterrey x 2, Kansas City, Monterrey, Houston.)

I'd like to see the big man Theo up front as I don't think he's been officially capped, having played 2 friendlies with our CMNT. And I have a personal interest as the kid is an Ottawa valley boy. His grandfather was principal of a DND school my brother and in-laws attended and his father played soccer with my brother back in the day.

Edited by Ed_S

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

• Crepeau continues....

This is a well thought out starting lineup, and others have made modest suggested changes that also make sense.

I now think that, after starting and stopping with my own personal lineup changes edits, that what's truly important is that some new-er players get field tested versus high quality with a minimum threshold amount of quality teammates to accurately demonstrate what they might bring to either a starting or substitution role for Canada.  There are lots and lots of choices, at every position...so a few things need to be tried.

But I would not blink at all at a repetition of the same starting lineup as in previous matches.  Or much.  As long as Kone is starting, feet to the fire young man, you are gonna be the main man this game almost certainly, as Stache resting is probably the easiest call to make for all sorts of reasons.

I'd also like to add, despite the "Cdn soccer experts" weighing in on TSN, this is the 3nd time we could finish top three at a major tournament. Two years after capturing first in the Gold Cup 2000, we defeated South Korea 2-1 to place third in the 2002 Gold Cup. Tam Nsaliwa made one of the best in-the-box tackles I've ever seen in that game. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

• Crepeau continues....

Bair and Tami to start

I hope Uruguay bring their A game, with A players, with max intensity. I don’t want too much squad rotation, I think you guys are expecting more than will actually happen.

We get so few opportunities to see what these types of elite teams bring when they turn it on. We need to learn how to handle that. Mexico spent something like 50 years trying to get there- and couldn’t.

It is very hard - and live fire training drills are incredibly few and far between.

Edited by ensco