Copa America: Canada vs Uruguay - Saturday, July 13th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - Charlotte, North Carolina

Canada vs Uruguay
Copa America, 3rd place match
Saturday, July 13 2024
8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina

Broadcast in Canada:
TSN 4
RDS 2

Broadcast in the USA:
Fox Sports 1

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canmnt-announce-2024-copa-america-roster/
Since the roster was announced Junior Hoilett is out through injury and has been replaced by Joel Waterman.
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1802385651251179939
Tajon Buchanan is out with a broken leg.
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1808539878361067708
Davies is in doubt through the injury he received in the previous match.

Canadian players that have played all possible minutes in this tournament so far:
Bombito
Johnston
Crépeau (GK)

Canadian players that haven't played a single minute yet in this tournament:
Bair
De Fougerolles
Hiebert
Piette
Waterman
McGill (GK)
St. Clair (GK)

Uruguay's roster:
https://www.auf.org.uy/la-lista-de-la-copa-america-presentada-por-musicos-uruguayos/
I'm not sure about injury and fitness for Uruguay, apparently Luis Suárez isn't fit to play 90 minutes?

Suspensions:
🟨 🟨 Nicolás de la Cruz
There could be more suspensions if yellow or red cards were given out during post-game fighting 

Weather:
31°C and scattered showers

Referee:
Alexis Herrera of Venezuela
https://copaamerica.com/es/novedades/arbitros-final-tercer-puesto-copa-america

Important notes:
• There will be no additional time. In case of a draw after 90 minutes + stoppage time, we go straight to penalties. (Chapter 4 , Article 26)
https://copaamerica.com/pdf/CA2024-Reglamento-2024-06-15-es.pdf
• Single yellows won't matter anymore but any red card would mean a suspension for the #CanMNT's next competitive match, which would be the CONCACAF Nations League in November

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I'm wasted, but we need to stop  with this over-the-top high-press insanity. I love our firepower up front and know we can do damage. But I've seen enough after two games vs Argentina and a friendly vs Uruguay. These guys know our game, will absorb our press and beat us on the counter. We need to be more disciplined. Get possession and keep it. Play a BIT deeper. We can win. Let's f*ing go!

4 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I get the argument for getting some of our dutiful bench players on the field but I also think we should go for this one. Wanna field a strong side and maybe make different subs late. We can't turn up our nose at a 3rd place finish and a win over Uruguay.

And the ranking points

Does anyone know if Araujo will be back. He was subbed out in the quarterfinals in the first half and appeared on the bench today. Also doesn't look like Uruguay has rotated very much through the first 5 games.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Zero security, not on the field or in the stands. Useless American organization, society of sleepwalkers.

UEFA was the same when the Dutch (AZ) tried to attack our players' families. 

Took a couple older gents to hold them off. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Nothing like that Reggie Dunlop outfit, however!

David Salter on X: "Begins and ends with Reggie Dunlop.  https://t.co/AXGvePC91o" / X 

He dressed far better in Color of Money. 

A bit depressing that a two-bit pool shark working dive halls in New Jersey dresses better than your equivalent level minor league hockey player.

Will be interesting to see how far we have come since our friendly against them nearly 2 years ago. We lost that game 2-0. 3 players that started that game (Borjan, Vitoria, and Adekugbe) are not with the team. In total there were 11 players on Canada then that aren't on this roster.

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If there are not suspensions.....

Seriously...

I have loved being a part of this tournament, but certain elements have underscored the farcical elements.  I know it is just one incident, but one of the most blatant example of bias for me was the failure to caution the keeper who literally ran to the sidelines and tried to wrestle the ball away from our player to prevent a quick throw in.  You couldn't get a more cut-and-dried decision  - that is a slam-dunk yellow care 100% of the time.  And yet it was completely ignored (to the benefit of the South American team).  The chart showing fouls vs cautions is further objective proof of the officiating silliness that has taken place throughout the tournament.  Etc.  

But a failure by CONMEBOL to caution players who literally went into the stands and attacked opposing fans would elevate the bias and stupidity to the next level.  It is unthinkable in any normal circumstances that they would not face significant punishment.  There is undeniable footage of the event, and precedents exist for the appropriate response.  If CONMEBOL only issues a statement chastising the offenders and does nothing else, it firmly cements the reality that this tournament is part sport, part scripted theatre.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Seriously...

I have loved being a part of this tournament, but certain elements have underscored the farcical elements.  I know it is just one incident, but one of the most blatant example of bias for me was the failure to caution the keeper who literally ran to the sidelines and tried to wrestle the ball away from our player to prevent a quick throw in.  You couldn't get a more cut-and-dried decision  - that is a slam-dunk yellow care 100% of the time.  And yet it was completely ignored (to the benefit of the South American team).  The chart showing fouls vs cautions is further objective proof of the officiating silliness that has taken place throughout the tournament.  Etc.  

But a failure by CONMEBOL to caution players who literally went into the stands and attacked opposing fans would elevate the bias and stupidity to the next level.  It is unthinkable in any normal circumstances that they would not face significant punishment.  There is undeniable footage of the event, and precedents exist for the appropriate response.  If CONMEBOL only issues a statement chastising the offenders and does nothing else, it firmly cements the reality that this tournament is part sport, part scripted theatre.  

I mean I fully expect no suspensions and to be facing Nunez on the weekend. 

Have to be honest, I'm concerned about our players getting injured in this game. I have zero confidence in the refs to control things. Don't think its worth it even for $1M or  a shot at 3rd. Some of the tackles can easily end up ending a career or players missing a significant part of their club season. Uruguay may tone it down for a 3rd/4th place game but I get the feeling it's how Bielsa wants them to play and their bench  will want to prove they can do it. Just imagine if (yes,I know it can happen in practice) Davies/David/Kone etc get seriously injured.

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

CONMEBOL would have to accept responsibility for the lack of security and poor ticket distribution. Easier for them to just sweep it all under the rug.