Your lineup

Run back the same lineup as last game, Kone for Osorio. Won’t be mad if it’s Tani for Larin, but I don’t think it’s the time to make that change. I think Laryea should start. Him and Johnston have done a fantastic job of shutting down the right side and they’ve grown throughout the tournament. Cards apparently cancel out before the finals, so we can and should play as aggressively as possible. 

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kone deserves to come in.

If we want to hang and then try to score late leave Laryea in. But Millar and Shaft if we want to hammer them early.

Other than that can't see any changes.

Shaff and Laryea have been our best wingers. We have to start both of them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

Shaff and Laryea have been our best wingers. We have to start both of them.

I would disagree with the black and white of that.

Laryea has helped keep us in games and makes us solid and tough to bully but his passing, going past people, generally most likely to make something happen is below Millar for me. You choose the right tool for the job.

Shaft has also explicitly said he is not able to run for 90' like "these other guys". We are back outside and on less rest I believe.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Godkeeper because:

-He's the Godkeeper

The Back Four because

-It's The Back Four

Steph-Oso because:

-Their leadership on the field

-They speak the language (portuguese and spanish) of the referees and our opponents

-They can handle the aggressiveness of our opponents

-Their automatism (30 games together)

-Etc

Shaff-Davidou-Laryea because:

-Everyone are playing at their positions

Tani because:

-Is playing like a striker should be playing

11 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

Steph-Oso because:

-Their leadership on the field

-They speak the language (portuguese and spanish) of the referees and our opponents

-They can handle the aggressiveness of our opponents

-Their automatism (30 games together)

-Etc

I hate to be THAT guy, but you gotta give me more than leadership, language and experience to convince me Osorio needs to play vs Argentina.  If automatism is necessary, are we also gonna bench Bombito and Cornelius?  We need our best here.  Can anyone really claim he had a good game?  If so, how?  Maybe he was tired?  I wish there is something I'm not seeing.  He just needs to be more involved.  I loved him in the previous appearances and was ok to see him in the lineup last match until the first 5-10 minutes, it was obvious he just didn't have the rhythm or stamina.  

For once, Anthony7 was right in saying Osorio was invisible.  The fewest touches of all except our lone striker (32 vs 33 - while Cyle played 10 minutes less).  Meanwhile his partner had 83, that's not just a little lopsided.  That's a terrible stat for a midfielder, the rest of the stats don't stand out either.

If Kone got benched for playing bad, you gotta bench Osorio next match.  We need our best for this match and Osorio is not it.  Kone just stepped up bigtime in PK's, you can't bench that.  His ceiling is soo much higher than Osorio's, we'll need magic and blazing guns to win this.  Osorio at 60' would be great, need him at a higher tempo and use his unique skills when others are a little slower.

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kone deserves to come in.

If we want to hang and then try to score late leave Laryea in. But Millar and Shaft if we want to hammer them early.

Other than that can't see any changes.

I don't like starting Millar and Shaffelburg because I don't think either player is particularly effective on the right.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

I hate to be THAT guy, but you gotta give me more than leadership, language and experience to convince me Osorio needs to play vs Argentina.  If automatism is necessary, are we also gonna bench Bombito and Cornelius?  We need our best here.  Can anyone really claim he had a good game?  If so, how?  Maybe he was tired?  I wish there is something I'm not seeing.  He just needs to be more involved.  I loved him in the previous appearances and was ok to see him in the lineup last match until the first 5-10 minutes, it was obvious he just didn't have the rhythm or stamina.  

For once, Anthony7 was right in saying Osorio was invisible.  The fewest touches of all except our lone striker (32 vs 33 - while Cyle played 10 minutes less).  Meanwhile his partner had 83, that's not just a little lopsided.  That's a terrible stat for a midfielder, the rest of the stats don't stand out either.

If Kone got benched for playing bad, you gotta bench Osorio next match.  We need our best for this match and Osorio is not it.  Kone just stepped up bigtime in PK's, you can't bench that.  His ceiling is soo much higher than Osorio's, we'll need magic and blazing guns to win this.  Osorio at 60' would be great, need him at a higher tempo and use his unique skills when others are a little slower.

I agree and really hope kone starts but not because you can’t bench a guy who scored a pk…. Do we drop staq for missing? Kone covers more ground and can progress the ball better in a box to box role.  Oso does a job but isn’t suited to being a number 8.

is there something to be said of oso’s intangibles though as he cuts passing lanes and fills gaps.

fotmob also has laryea with fewer touches  and oso was only 3 away from shaf.  Sure he had low touches but I think you’re framing it a bit slanted.  To agree with anthony7 who is out of this world angry at his new step daddy just feels a bit to heavy of an assessment. 

I agree though that he didn’t do enough for me to start  

Pretty sure Kone will be back starting. He looked solid in his sub mins vs Venezuela, and if we have any chance vs Argentina we need Kone playing the way he did vs France or even vs the Netherlands. As Marsch said in one of the vids, Kone and Staq compliment each other very well and enjoy playing together. 

I’ve been having a debate with myself over Larin vs Tani for tomorrow night.  I think I’ve convinced myself it’s Tani time.  If we really think we’re on house money then we should come out aggressive and leave Larin for later (for what he brings defensively).  If we fall behind then Tani can run himself into the ground and Larin would still come on at some point in the second half.

Also, I’m sitting outside in New Jersey right now and the heat isn’t going to be a factor, the sun is setting and it’s nothing like what they would have felt in Kansas City or Orlando.

I also just drank two beer so if you’re reading this Marsch please consider that in your decision making process.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I agree and really hope kone starts but not because you can’t bench a guy who scored a pk…. Do we drop staq for missing? Kone covers more ground and can progress the ball better in a box to box role.  Oso does a job but isn’t suited to being a number 8.

is there something to be said of oso’s intangibles though as he cuts passing lanes and fills gaps.

fotmob also has laryea with fewer touches  and oso was only 3 away from shaf.  Sure he had low touches but I think you’re framing it a bit slanted.  To agree with anthony7 who is out of this world angry at his new step daddy just feels a bit to heavy of an assessment. 

I agree though that he didn’t do enough for me to start  

Sorry, you're right, I omitted an important detail in my thinking when I said "fewest touches".  I meant central midfielders on both teams. I included Larin because I felt that gave important context on a how a player can and should contribute.  Lots of us as well as media are picking on Larin for not pulling his weight, but he's doing a lot of behind the scenes work, which is what I'm accusing Osorio of not doing vs Venezuela. 

At the same time, I wouldn't expect a winger to have more touches than a CM. 

Regarding Stache, no that's silly, he was one of our best.  Punishing someone for missing a PK does not equal playing someone for scoring.  There is a very subtle yet important difference there when managing a team.

The "Osorio is invisible" reference to Anthony7 was just obvious.  He's posted it like 10 times and this time he was right, it's the best way to describe his game vs Venezuela.  We'll need more from our guys than "cutting lanes and filling gaps" vs Argentina, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Edited by costarg

GK- Crepeau

RB- Johnson

CBs- Bombito and Cornelius

LB- Davies

LW/M- Shaff

CMs- Kone and Eustaquio

RW/M- Laryea

STs- Larin and David

Lot of people are wanting Larin out of the the starting 11 and it's valid but we need to understand how important experience is in a game like tomorrow. Larin has experience in playing in large/hostile stadiums playing in La Liga/Turkey. Kone needs to be back in the starting 11 to have a fighting chance. Oso has been fine all tourney but Kone has the potential to go toe to toe with this Argentine midfield. We saw it vs France against the likes of Camavinga. 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

Afrifa-JRR

Davidou

Staq-Math

Nikooo

The Backfour

The Godkeeper

Interesting.  I think Africa was brought in as a winger though. A 4-3-1-2 with 3 strikers lacks some balance. Sure fullbacks can provide width but David’s likely to find himself clogging up the same spaces as the strikers.  I can’t see us playing 3 cm and 1 cam given that we usually play with 2 cm.  

id love a 433 with sugar starting but I think its 

back 5

shaf staq Choinière millar

david larin.