Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

38 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Did David not miss a breakaway vs Venezuela?

I wouldn't call that a breakaway. I would call that receiving a pass all alone, then trying to knock it around the keeper on his second touch, with the pressure of defenders rushing in. 

Should have done better, but break away would imply he's charging towards goal all alone, one-on-one, with a chance to manipulate the keeper with one of his multiple touches. 

42 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Did David not miss a breakaway vs Venezuela?

You get few good looks against well organized defensive sides but when you do, you at least need it on net, ditto Larin shooting over the bar from Laryea's pass in the same match or Tani's late header in the semi.

It wasn't a clear breakaway but it was a decent chance and a higher percentage opportunity than the one he scored on. Maybe a 30-40% chance of scoring.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't call that a breakaway. I would call that receiving a pass all alone, then trying to knock it around the keeper on his second touch, with the pressure of defenders rushing in. 

Well, the young journo from One Soccer who several around here really like said this:

"...before Jonathan David missed the net altogether on a breakaway in the 26th minute"

https://onesoccer.ca/a/key-takeaways-shaffelburg-shines-as-new-look-can-mnt-takes-another-key-step-forward-in-win-vs-venezuela

I thought it was also high peecentage chance.

11 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

We aren't at an Argentina level in football.  Never will be.  Flip side to that is they will never have the mentality of a Canadian, bunch of soft ass flopping punks them Argies.

Just our identity.

Argentina doesn't think that way or non-Canadian football commentators I have heard. They called it a professional performance. They controlled the tempo from the first second and match was over by the first goal. Punched in. Punched out. Job done.

De Paul said: "Yes, we dive, it's a part of our culture. We all do it, it's the nature of the game, It's fair play. Let's move on we have another game to win." 

Edited by red card

What he is correct is ,  all dive ,  now with those cameras ,  is some idiot fakes an injury or a foul it is a yellow.  

Eustaquio tried it hard though ,  don't go to floor unless you are 110%sure ,  if he had kicked De Paul it could have been a red

Edited by JAVIERF

On 7/11/2024 at 7:22 AM, costarg said:

All due respect, but I feel you're underestimating the level of defending and athleticism required to defend against these teams.  Putting your best players up top works in high school, not so much in the pro leagues.  Davies might be our best winger, but he's also our best LB. 

Basically, you're saying we'll be better with Hiebert, Laryea or Miller at LB instead of Shaf and Millar at LW.  

Other posters have Ahmed in their list. LDF is a promisisng defender, maybe he fits in.