Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but apparently after a few minutes of agony, Rodrigo De Paul was able to summon both courage and supernatural recovery powers to return after an excruciating foul by Ismael Kone.  He was also able to give a thumbs up to Jesse Marsch's concerned inquiries about his condition.

(At least I think that's the translation.) 

Reminds me of this:

Lots to dislike with Sam Allardyce but this was class.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Reminds me of this:

Lots to dislike with Sam Allardyce for but this was class.

I think during the post match press conference someone asked Jesse about this interaction and he just answered with a straight face that “I was just asking if he was okay and he told me he was okay. So that’s good, I’m glad he was okay.”

👌 

4 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I think we saw in the friendlies and the first match vs. Argentina that the Davies / Millar partnership was best for bringing out more of his offensive game.  But then Shaff happened, and Marsch, rightly so, rolled with it... and Davies managed to contribute to the team with solid defensive performances.  We were getting plenty of offensive opportunities without using Davies in attack, so no problem.

In retrospect, we maybe should've gone back to starting Millar and letting Davies loose a bit, and using Shaff in his super-sub roll... but if one of those early chances where Shaff was involved, got ourselves a goal, then the game would've been different.

We were up against an elite defensive unit... would Davies have been able to cook against the Argentinian defense?  I have doubts. 

But he wouldn't have to cook, just have one bit of luck. Now that Davies has played left back for a whole tourny and pretty much played to expectations, is anyone against moving him to the wing?

2 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

But he wouldn't have to cook, just have one bit of luck. Now that Davies has played left back for a whole tourny and pretty much played to expectations, is anyone against moving him to the wing?

Do we want to keep goals against to a minimum or do we want to score goals?

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Do we want to keep goals against to a minimum or do we want to score goals?

We want to score goals. 😊

Does your return question mean you want him to stay at LB? I'm guessing it does so I will consider my question answered.

18 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

We just had an unexpectedly successful tournament, why would you take that as a sign to change our lineup? I am against moving him to the wing, 100%.

2 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

We want to score goals. 😊

Does your return question mean you want him to stay at LB? I'm guessing it does so I will consider my question answered.

My point is that what we do with Davies remains a conundrum. Arguably Canada's success in this tournament came because they defended well against Peru and Chile. Davies at LB was a big part of that. But we will need to score to do better. I think Davies in an advanced role makes that more likely, but some will ask if the trade-off is worth it.

My probably unpopular opinion is that Marsch fell a bit too much in love with Shaffelburg prior to the Argentina match. Canada's whole attack was tilted his way in the first half. He was taking set pieces, for goodness sake. More Shaff means less Davies attacking, regardless of what position he plays. 

If I had to pick, I'd probably want Davies playing more advanced, but that's in a vacuum where I don't have to pencil in someone like Kyle Hiebert or Kamal Miller or Ali Ahmed at LB. 

Looking at facebook and reddit, what's with the loser mentality so many of our sports fans have with referee decisions? Collecting grievances along the way like pre-emptive excuses so you can wave them around later. It's like they're not worried about the cutting edge to victory (game 7s anyone) as long as they have a bad call or two to fall back on.

We lost fair and square. Yes there were some bad calls but not enough to reverse the game. I highly doubt Marsch and the boys are harping on too much about the ref... same as at halftime of the Peru game. We've outgrown this defeatist attitude!

These same fans who cry "corruption" tend to forget that the flashpoints of the Chile game (including the missed red card) favoured us

20 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

We just had an unexpectedly successful tournament, why would you take that as a sign to change our lineup? I am against moving him to the wing, 100%.

Doubt we are going to see any major selection changes between now and the 2026 WC finals. The main issue to be solved on taking things a atep further from where they are now is that Jonathan David is supposed to be the main goalscoring threat but only ever tends to score against lower ranked countries. Not sure what the answer is on that but Jesse Marsch has two years to try to figure it out.

43 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I'm good with him a left back.  Well, better than I was a year or two ago.

He can still go on his raids as opportunity allows, a lot less as LB of course, but I'm sure those raids will be far more dangerous once we get the chance to play these matches on an adult sized pitch.

Tv numbers took a sizeable jump as 2.8m average watched across TSN/CTV2/RDS. 

No peak number mentioned which implies not too far away from 2.8m. Reach hit 6.9m.

RDS average was 230k which is also a new Copa high. France v Spain on TVA Sports delivered 135k.

Belgium & Croatia remain most watched Canada men/women matches. Last night's match looks to be fourth most watched men/women match. London Olympics women semis is third most watched while Tokyo Gold Medal match ranks fifth.

Edited by red card

18 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Doubt we are going to see any major selection changes between now and the 2026 WC finals. The main issue to be solved on taking things a atep further from where they are now is that Jonathan David is supposed to be the main goalscoring threat but only ever tends to score against lower ranked countries. Not sure what the answer is on that but Jesse Marsch has two years to try to figure it out.

The answer to the David problem is playing him at striker instead of as a de facto #10. But that means sitting down Larin. 

7 hours ago, Floortom said:

Laryea doesnt have the quality to be effective that high up the pitch against teams like Argentina. I understand why we played him last night where we did, but we really felt the Tajon injury yesterday.

Damn didn’t even think about that, that could be the difference between winning and losing.