Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

Well...kudos to Argentina. They were always the favorite, obviously. 

Weird game and result to analyze. You see the score 2-0 and it says the game was not a blow out, but this felt comfortable for Argentina and felt a bit like the 2-0 NL final loss to the USA, which was comfortable for the Americans. We never threatened Argentina really, enough despite having our chances. 

Now for the good....

The subs did well. I am excited for Ahmed and Choiniere and hopefully both start next match. Kone had a big bounce back game and was at the centre of everything positive once Davies went out injured.

Finally, I liked the David sub. Kind of like the Kone sub in the previous matches. He should start, obviously, but getting pulled out may helped him re-focus, because he was off it all game long today.

One thing that this tournament underlines is that we don’t have the quality in depth of same other nations.

At CB, the quality drops off after Derek and Bombito.  In mid I think Oso and Choiniere can compete at an international level (with Kone and Staq as the default starters) but after that things thin out pretty quickly.  And even though we have talented wide players, we have 4ish wide positions and not tons of options after you get past the starters and a couple of subs.  Davies, Millar, Tajon, Richie, Ahmed, Alistair etc. - not many after that group that you would trust at this level.  Ironically, striker is where we may have the best depth, with JRR and Tani ready to go, and guys like Bair, Brym and Ugbo pushing as well.  

3 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

We don’t have a class 10 or even a high level winger in all honesty so creating offence and finishing vs elite teams will always be tough.

You have one in Simon Colyn who was ripping aside the Dutch league until got injured in a season ending injury 

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Was this a better performance for us than the first match?  I feel it was, but maybe only marginally. Same result, fewer mistakes...

Myself, I think it was completely and utterly better.  The first match featured countless argentina attacks on goal that were kept out by luck/by skill/by whatever.  Even just cutting down on those repeated attempts, plus going H2H  reasonably well was a big mature step forward in my mind. 

It reflects a better approach to playing Argentina, plus a better actual  result in cutting their attempts back.  Canada was much more in this game to win it than game #1...not a great chance mind you, but a chance.

2 hours ago, eramosat said:

to be fair...MSG ain't a stadium per se...more an institution for some sports

are stadiums e.g 50k + around the world not surrounded by parking lots?  are some intergrated completely into the host cities?  just wonderin, I don't sports travel.

BC Place isn’t. 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

One thing that this tournament underlines is that we don’t have the quality in depth of same other nations.

At CB, the quality drops off after Derek and Bombito.  In mid I think Oso and Choiniere can compete at an international level (with Kone and Staq as the default starters) but after that things thin out pretty quickly.  And even though we have talented wide players, we have 4ish wide positions and not tons of options after you get past the starters and a couple of subs.  Davies, Millar, Tajon, Richie, Ahmed, Alistair etc. - not many after that group that you would trust at this level.  Ironically, striker is where we may have the best depth, with JRR and Tani ready to go, and guys like Bair, Brym and Ugbo pushing as well.  

Yeah, you see that so often in tournaments, the big teams have the depth and they rotate in the group stage, and they wear their opponents down in the knockout stage.

Morocco was one of the few teams able to defy this dynamic (through to the semis at least), but they played a very defensive style which helps with the mileage, and for all that, their core guys were almost comically gassed and beat up by end of the the semi-final.

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Eustaquio big ups the need for the CPL right on TSN. Take that Westhead!

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Julian De Guzman SEETHING after hearing Eustaquio mention the CPL

Bizarre how posters you never see in the CanPL subforum when CanPL games are happening suddenly act like they are massive fans of the league. It shouldn't be a surprise that Estaquio would do that. His older brother Mauro is an assistant coach at York United.

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bizarre how posters you never see in the CanPL subforum when CanPL games are happening suddenly act like they are massive fans of the league. It shouldn't be a surprise that Estaquio would do that. His older brother Mauro is an assistant coach at York United.

Is Mauro still there after the coaching change?

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I watch the CPL weekly I just don't really post about it on the forums.

I didn't know I needed to post on the sub forums to be a real fan. My bad.

Edited by VinceA

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think it will be.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he played the next one.  

Apparently he (Davies) has gone to the hospital for X-rays, so I would actually be quite surprised if he played the next one.

Edited by GasPed