Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Really?   He just wasnt as terrible as he was in the other games.   Thats all.   

I dont get the hyperbole here

IN the first half, he demonstrated both better passing decision making, as well as the initiative to move forward with the ball.  He was incisive...furthest thing from reactive.  Maybe didn't make any mistakes?  Not sure

In the 2nd half, I don't remember that type of play at all.

Definitely an improvement on his last starts.

Not a surprising result against the best team in the world, we can definitely learn a lot from these games and we have one more to play against another top team! I was pleasantly surprised with the subs although Argentina were pretty much home and dried when most came in, I hope we have no serious injuries, I do expect JM to rotate the squad in the 3rd place match!

Nothing surprising about the end result obviously. It’s hard to take too much from the last 30 minutes when Argentina was clearly on cruise control but some of the subs looked good (Ahmed, Choiniere, Oso). Effort was good until the very end. 

very naive defending on the first goal by Bombito but I don’t think you can be too upset overall defensively.

obviously the ultimate problem is how poor our chance creation and conversion is.  Not really sure what our options are against an elite squad like Argentina - we just don’t have the horses to threaten them. A combined 0 goals against Netherlands, France and Argentina x 2, tells you how far away we are.

4 minutes ago, eramosat said:

IN the first half, he demonstrated both better passing decision making, as well as the initiative to move forward with the ball.  He was incisive...furthest thing from reactive.  Maybe didn't make any mistakes?  Not sure

In the 2nd half, I don't remember that type of play at all.

Definitely an improvement on his last starts.

Thats a very fair comment you made.  I can agree with that.   But the original comment that i responded to suggests that he was super star out there.   

I have seen this far too much here over many years,  where someone has decent game or even an average game and suddenly this/that player is viewed as the second coming.  

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Miche said:

Anyone know how seriously the third place match is taken in copa? We'll want to win it desperately, but will the other side play all their starters?

I hope we rotate. I want to see something different.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Also need quotes around "fans" as well. Unless a fan is someone who films themselves on their phone for 90 minutes.

I don't disagree.  

I considered "Argentinian" fans, Argentinian "fans" and "Argentinian fans," but couldn't decide which to use.  

Honestly I understand the excitement and the high expectations, but wow it feels people don’t know who Argentina is.  Once they got the lead, they went into cruise control which I think helped the confidence of our players later in the game.  But this is a team that’s lost 2 times out of their past 65 games or something.  They have more trophies (3) than they have losses (2) in the past 5 years and we’re berating our players.  Guess what?  When we play top teams in top competitions, everything becomes more difficult.

Im proud of our boys.  Argentina plays top 10 nations regularly and we gave a good run.  Overall a much improved performance in comparison to our first game.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, gator said:

Not a surprising result against the best team in the world, we can definitely learn a lot from these games and we have one more to play against another top team! I was pleasantly surprised with the subs although Argentina were pretty much home and dried when most came in, I hope we have no serious injuries, I do expect JM to rotate the squad in the 3rd place match!

Just now, Free kick said:

Thats a very fair comment you made.   But that the original comment i responded suggest that he was super star out there.   

Correct!  Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  Not a super-star...but certainly back in the right place for starting CANMNT duties, which looked in jeopardy early in COPA.

Just now, mowe said:

We lack quality in the final third. Never more obvious than against top level teams. 

Hopefully we learn from this experience. Still something to play for on the weekend.

Need to figure out why a guy with 70 plus ligue 1 goals isnt clicking in our set up. I think him and Larin cant play off each other. 

I don’t really get the criticisms of Larin tonight.  He was going a ton of stuff off the ball.  I get that he didn’t score one but he created a few quality opportunities.  

I also don’t think we lost because of the ref.  Yeah he missed the foul on Richie but that goal is our fault.  Bombito needs to do better in that play.   

Two of our biggest players - David and Davies - were really quiet this game (though David had a great chance off Alistair’s throw in).  

Just now, Corazon said:

Honestly I understand the excitement and the high expectations, but wow it feels people don’t know who Argentina is.  Once they got the lead, they went into cruise control which I think helped the confidence of our players later in the game.  But this is a team that’s lost 2 times out of their past 65 games or something.  They have more trophies (3) than they have losses (2) in the past 5 years and we’re berating our players.  Guess what?  When we play top teams in top competitions, everything becomes more difficult.

Im proud of our boys.  Argentina plays too 10 nations regularly and we gave a good run.  Overall a much improved performance in comparison to our first game.

Bang on.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Need to figure out why a guy with 70 plus ligue 1 goals isnt clicking in our set up. I think him and Larin cant play off each other. 

Because we are playing him as a midfielder 75% of the time. 

Don't forget he scored the most important goal of the tournament.

Edited by jonovision