Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

My 11

Creapeau 

Johnston 

Luc De Fougerolles 

Cornélius 

Kennedy 

Fraser 

Davies 

Eustaquio 

Koné 

Shaffelburg 

David /Larin 

4-5-1 attacking system BUT 

If Canada plays with a #10 in the hole the only one you have ready for that position is COLYN or Auld if he gets citizenship.  Those two ONLY

Colyn for Fraser in a 4-4-1 (Colyn) and one striker .  

That's my choices from what I ve seen .  Kennedy is irreplaceable    

Bombitó has shown he isn't Paul McGrath to hold the defence.  I rather see him as holding mid or right back alternative.

I liked Choiniere as a Gundogan type of player.   

Edited by JAVIERF

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just watched the end of the England game. The buildup to Watkins goal reminded me a lot of how we build up, they just nailed the finish. 

I don't know if "we're a poorer version of England" is exactly what we're striving for.

12 hours ago, gator said:

As good as Argentina is it is frustrating to me to watch all of the favours the refs give them and all of the cheating they get away with, the Kone foul and subsequent yellow card is getting lots of action on social media from the soccer haters, I wish there was more effort from that team to showcase the beauty of the game not the ugliness! If Uruguay advance to the final Argentina will have some legitimate reasons to roll around on the pitch because they can be a very dirty an physical side!

But Koné réaction was proto amateur.  Soccer as the old men say everywhere you go is for the wise guys and a bit scoundrels too! 

Remember Rudi Voller, Stoitchkov Bergkamp Cantoná Hagi Drogba etc etc etc 

On 7/9/2024 at 5:42 PM, jonovision said:

Is there any big American stadium that isn't surrounded by a wasteland of parking lots?

As pointless as asking, "Are there any U.K. football stadiums that aren't surrounded by pubs?

Those parking lots may be wastelands 340 days a year. They aren't on match day, and just as vital as those U.K. pubs.

They're even economic drivers: the family/group spends an average of $196/game on tailgate supplies according to one "survey":

"the $196 budget averaged $28.65 for beer, $17.09 for soft drinks, $16.61 for burgers, $15.37 for snacks, $14.16 for steaks, and $13.19 for liquor as the largest line items." At $1/beer from the 7-11 instead of $15+tip, that's a decent beer budget. Never mind the thousands spent up-front on tents, T.V's, generators, chairs, bars, speakers....

But to answer the pointless question...numerous college stadiums have minimal parking right at the stadium. Darryl K Royal (Austin, TX) comes to mind. As for the pros, Lumen Field/T-Mobile Park is parking-limited directly beside the stadiums with the port and railyards nearby. Plenty of MLB parks fit that bill.

On 7/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, eramosat said:

to be fair...MSG ain't a stadium per se...more an institution for some sports

are stadiums e.g 50k + around the world not surrounded by parking lots?  are some intergrated completely into the host cities?  just wonderin, I don't sports travel.

Most stadiums were built near city center transportation...a couple hundred years after the city center was fully built out. In many cities, tearing down multiple city blocks of housing is considered bad form. So yes...stadiums can be and are compact forms shoehorned into available land. Now the very newest largest in Europe (60K+ and those are very few) may end up in underutilized industrial land (think Munich), but traditional or historic parks are typically "small" (40K and even less) and surrounded by housing and commerce.

U.S. stadiums starting in the 60's found the largest unused space near a freeway, typically a suburban location. Saves on land costs. Everyone was conditioned to drive to the contest. While a few exceptions - typically baseball - have bucked that tradition in the last 25 years, the vast majority are not located in a traditional neighbourhood and acquire more than enough land for whatever is needed, whether that's parking, new housing/commercial projects to make the math work on a new stadium, etc.

In all but two or three U.S. cities, I don't know how to move 75K people within 90 minutes without private automobiles and nearby parking (although it doesn't need to be asphalt 10 ft. from the entry gate). Perhaps we'll find out in 2026? Similarly in Europe it's hard to imagine 75K people moving without a nearby train station. The stadium in Cardiff would be a decent example of an "integrated" stadium (use Satellite view): 

43 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

As pointless as asking, "Are there any U.K. football stadiums that aren't surrounded by pubs?

Those parking lots may be wastelands 340 days a year. They aren't on match day, and just as vital as those U.K. pubs.

They're even economic drivers: the family/group spends an average of $196/game on tailgate supplies according to one "survey":

"the $196 budget averaged $28.65 for beer, $17.09 for soft drinks, $16.61 for burgers, $15.37 for snacks, $14.16 for steaks, and $13.19 for liquor as the largest line items." At $1/beer from the 7-11 instead of $15+tip, that's a decent beer budget. Never mind the thousands spent up-front on tents, T.V's, generators, chairs, bars, speakers....

But to answer the pointless question...numerous college stadiums have minimal parking right at the stadium. Darryl K Royal (Austin, TX) comes to mind. As for the pros, Lumen Field/T-Mobile Park is parking-limited directly beside the stadiums with the port and railyards nearby. Plenty of MLB parks fit that bill.

I take the steaks in a baguette,  a la Italiana ,  meat and just bread 

Edited by JAVIERF

18 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Most stadiums were built near city center transportation...a couple hundred years after the city center was fully built out. In many cities, tearing down multiple city blocks of housing is considered bad form. So yes...stadiums can be and are compact forms shoehorned into available land. Now the very newest largest in Europe (60K+ and those are very few) may end up in underutilized industrial land (think Munich), but traditional or historic parks are typically "small" (40K and even less) and surrounded by housing and commerce.

U.S. stadiums starting in the 60's found the largest unused space near a freeway, typically a suburban location. Saves on land costs. Everyone was conditioned to drive to the contest. While a few exceptions - typically baseball - have bucked that tradition in the last 25 years, the vast majority are not located in a traditional neighbourhood and acquire more than enough land for whatever is needed, whether that's parking, new housing/commercial projects to make the math work on a new stadium, etc.

In all but two or three U.S. cities, I don't know how to move 75K people within 90 minutes without private automobiles and nearby parking (although it doesn't need to be asphalt 10 ft. from the entry gate). Perhaps we'll find out in 2026? Similarly in Europe it's hard to imagine 75K people moving without a nearby train station. The stadium in Cardiff would be a decent example of an "integrated" stadium (use Satellite view): 

Ours is "surrounded" by a mall and an old marsh and a bunch of random stuff, but a big tube station and train station nearby.

44 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Lots of conversations to be had about public transit in North America vs elsewhere, public funding for stadiums, etc., but the thing that gets me is how many of the people getting shitfaced before during and after an NFL game are getting in the car right after to drive home. 

In any case, this is the Canada-Argentina thread. Sorry for derailing it with my inane question. Canada played well but looked tired and lost. On the next one.

20 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

I take the steaks in a baguette,  a la Italiana ,  meat and just bread 

Bring your steak in a $2 styrofoam cooler, baguette in a bag, and someone will let you grill it on their $20 mini grill using charcoal briquettes. Or...bring your car and your own grill.

4 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

You pretty well missed the entire point and the question was far more useful and pertinent than your "answer". 

10 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

But Koné réaction was proto amateur.  Soccer as the old men say everywhere you go is for the wise guys and a bit scoundrels too! 

Remember Rudi Voller, Stoitchkov Bergkamp Cantoná Hagi Drogba etc etc etc 

when you play against these big teams unfortunately mental games are a big part of it ... You have to be strong mentally to not fall for these antics . Sometimes when the technical gap between one big team and "smaller term" has shorten the mental game is usually what makes the bigger team move forward. 

Is it right? probably not , but its part of the game and its not going to change much more than what it is now, VAR has made it more fair in many ways , but there are teams even VAR can't help with . 

Watching the colombian games yesterday , the uruguayan player provoked the colombian player and he was looking for a reaction , which got the colombian player a red card . Fortunately for colombia , they were able to pulled through but they could ve easily lost the game for a stupid red card. 

Canada is moving up to the next level , they need to understand that they can not fall for these type of situations . 

You hardly see these type of behaviours in a brazil vs argentina , or argentina vs france game . The top teams are mostly very strong mentally 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Kone’s reaction was good. The game was over, he knew he was getting a card. To me that shows a player who can hang with the top guys, not someone getting baited into a reaction.

That was my view as well.  There is nothing amateur about it whatsoever.  There are no consequences to Kone for doing it, and it exposed the opposition as a pathetic drama-queen cheat.  Perfect response IMO.    

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

That was my view as well.  There is nothing amateur about it whatsoever.  There are no consequences to Kone for doing it, and it exposed the opposition as a pathetic drama-queen cheat.  Perfect response IMO.    

If he does that 15 minutes into the game, that’s one thing, but he knew exactly what he was doing. No real consequence for Kone, and he makes De Paul look like a baby. I think it takes a certain mindset to be sneaky like that at the right moment.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't know if "we're a poorer version of England" is exactly what we're striving for.

Definitely not, but when I saw Watkins receive the ball in the box with a man on him, I was thinking if this was Canada, Watkins passes the ball towards the middle to absolutely no one, since his second striker is on the goal line, so Eustaquio would’ve had to run out of nowhere to try and take a shot which by that point, there are like 5 defenders in front of the net. Corner Canada, weak kick that bounces off Larin’s head and out. Goal kick for the opponent. 

18 hours ago, clamlinguine said:

I guess I think the defensive job he did could be done by someone else, whereas the job he could do on the wing could not.

All due respect, but I feel you're underestimating the level of defending and athleticism required to defend against these teams.  Putting your best players up top works in high school, not so much in the pro leagues.  Davies might be our best winger, but he's also our best LB. 

Basically, you're saying we'll be better with Hiebert, Laryea or Miller at LB instead of Shaf and Millar at LW.  

59 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Definitely not, but when I saw Watkins receive the ball in the box with a man on him, I was thinking if this was Canada, Watkins passes the ball towards the middle to absolutely no one, since his second striker is on the goal line, so Eustaquio would’ve had to run out of nowhere to try and take a shot which by that point, there are like 5 defenders in front of the net. Corner Canada, weak kick that bounces off Larin’s head and out. Goal kick for the opponent. 

I can probably count the number of times a Canadian striker got the ball in that area going forward 1-on-1 against a defender on one hand. For the whole tournament.

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

I can probably count the number of times a Canadian striker got the ball in that area going forward 1-on-1 against a defender on one hand. For the whole tournament.

Yeah, I would have liked more attacking crispness with some of the passing plays on Tuesday but it's not like we were raining in quality crosses or even through balls for our forwards. We were feeding on scraps, in part given the tight space and quality defenders we were up against, and for David to nab his one goal (on really his only high percentage chance all tournament(?)) was a decent return.

6 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah, I would have liked more attacking crispness with some of the passing plays on Tuesday but it's not like we were raining in quality crosses or even through balls for our forwards. We were feeding on scraps, in part given the tight space and quality defenders we were up against, and for David to nab his one goal (on really his only high percentage chance all tournament(?)) was a decent return.

Did David not miss a breakaway vs Venezuela?

You get few good looks against well organized defensive sides but when you do, you at least need it on net, ditto Larin shooting over the bar from Laryea's pass in the same match or Tani's late header in the semi.