Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

15 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Wp6yvt4.png

I think the stats totally flatter us. That isn’t what happened.

This is a great example of the problem with xG. No way was our xG yesterday higher than it was in the first game, but our xG in that earlier game was 1.17

As good as Argentina is it is frustrating to me to watch all of the favours the refs give them and all of the cheating they get away with, the Kone foul and subsequent yellow card is getting lots of action on social media from the soccer haters, I wish there was more effort from that team to showcase the beauty of the game not the ugliness! If Uruguay advance to the final Argentina will have some legitimate reasons to roll around on the pitch because they can be a very dirty an physical side!

I thought we were better in the 2nd Argentina game overall compared to the first.

The part that has me excited about the future is that we never really looked out of place. We went toe to toe with the World Cup champs.

Before the summer, I would have expected us to lose 5-0 and be under pressure the entire match. That's not what happened.

But now it's up to the guys in charge and the players to show that this isn't a fluke. Let's make some noise in the Nations League and Gold Cup so that we can finally shut the critics up.

Edited by narduch

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

In other words, we still don't have a clear answer of where Davies can be most effectively deployed for Canada.

I think we saw in the friendlies and the first match vs. Argentina that the Davies / Millar partnership was best for bringing out more of his offensive game.  But then Shaff happened, and Marsch, rightly so, rolled with it... and Davies managed to contribute to the team with solid defensive performances.  We were getting plenty of offensive opportunities without using Davies in attack, so no problem.

In retrospect, we maybe should've gone back to starting Millar and letting Davies loose a bit, and using Shaff in his super-sub roll... but if one of those early chances where Shaff was involved, got ourselves a goal, then the game would've been different.

We were up against an elite defensive unit... would Davies have been able to cook against the Argentinian defense?  I have doubts. 

52 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The usual overly-negative nonsense from the likes of Keller & Moreno. They discuss Davies performance and complain that he didn't do enough to help Canada win without even mentioning that Argentina injured him out of the match with a dirty tackle. As I say in the comments, if that had been Pulisic who captained the US team to the semis and got fouled out of the match with a dirty tackle, the likes of Keller would be whining about it incessantly. At least Herc Gomez was able to stick up for Canada against the Venezuelan numb-nuts to his left.

In fairness, the CBS guys were far more positive and fair, including Tony Meola:

Currently in the airport waiting for my flight home, and I can’t expressed how proud of the team last night. I’m so thankful I got the opportunity to cheer on my team in person against the World Cup champs.

Also, despite our numerical disadvantage, I think our voyageurs made our voices heard throughout the match. I did notice the stadium cams rarely ever pivoted to our sections and instead seemed to be focusing on the Argentinian support. 

Already making my plans for 2026! 

2 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i thought ARG was kinda average lastnight.who knows maybe they were just in first gear.it would have of been  nice to grab a goal and make it interesting,man our final third play is bad.

I agree. Think you can argue that they peaked at 2022 World Cup.

Starting to wonder if Messi makes it to 2026 World Cup even

4 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i thought ARG was kinda average lastnight.who knows maybe they were just in first gear.it would have of been  nice to grab a goal and make it interesting,man our final third play is bad.

I don't think they've left first gear all tournament based on who they've played.  Will be interesting to see if they actually have a second gear considering Ecuador should have probably knocked them out.

9 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

They have been pretty average all tournament. Games vs Chile and Peru were pretty unimpressive. Ecuador took them to penalties. Maybe they never got out of second gear, but maybe that's all they have.

thats the way argentina plays though. They are well known in the conmebol to play like this. They score a goal and then just sit back and pass the ball . They would even add another defender in the last quarter of the games to secure the score. Unlike teams like uruguay or colombia who would press u up high to score another goal. 

#

"I close my eyes, so I can believe you." This is how they celebrate the dark arts in South America, not just in football, but in daily life. My Argentine wife is the queen  of denial. Every woman is like this with  a cheating husband, at least in the beginning. You have to laugh and live with it. The Copa America, we knew, was to be a learning experience. Let's hope that we have better referees in the World Cup, they could not be any worse!

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but apparently after a few minutes of agony, Rodrigo De Paul was able to summon both courage and supernatural recovery powers to return after an excruciating foul by Ismael Kone.  He was also able to give a thumbs up to Jesse Marsch's concerned inquiries about his condition.

(At least I think that's the translation.) 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

They have been pretty average all tournament. Games vs Chile and Peru were pretty unimpressive. Ecuador took them to penalties. Maybe they never got out of second gear, but maybe that's all they have.

The only thing Argentina has is a disgusting bragging attitude.  That's why the rest of South America hate them and so do I.

4 hours ago, ensco said:

I think the stats totally flatter us. That isn’t what happened.

This is a great example of the problem with xG. No way was our xG yesterday higher than it was in the first game, but our xG in that earlier game was 1.17

Most sites have a more lopsided xg for the game (around 2 to 0.9 in favour of Argentina).

But certainly, they were comfortable. The game actually reminded me of ARG-NED from the World Cup. Argentina scores after about 30 minutes on a defense splitting ball, adds a 2nd in the 2nd half after breaking into the box along the wing and the opposition gets very little look-in until after it is 2-0 and time is counting down.

Of course, the Dutch scored 2 late goals, and we didn't, but up until that point it was quite similar :)