Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

1 hour ago, One American said:

Ali Ahmed was so much better at left back than a certain player of note. 

I know this was intended to stir the pot, but it's true that Ahmed had a lot of bright moments going forward and arguably had a better offensive contribution than Davies in his limited minutes.

But Davies had another very strong game tonight at left back. Held his own and chipped in going forward. Great two way game.

If Ahmed can provide even half the defensive stability we will be in good shape.

Maybe we find out next match as we play for 3rd (while the Americans watch from home lol).

1 minute ago, The Ref said:

We can go now to try for 3rd place, but we need to start shooting.  So many chances and approximations and nobody shoots during the whole game.  If I remember correctly it was not until late that Miller took a shot.  Pathetic the rest of the guys.  One colour commentator said our nbr. 10 was nearly useless, I agree.

Simon Colyn is s natural #10 ,  a makeshift poacher as #10 is not the best. 

Anyway Colyn is injured he was ripping apart Dutch 2nd division 

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

To be clear, the Dutch second division.

Doesn't matter ,  this fellow is your through and through # 10.  

David doesn't "feel it " and Koné doesn't have it ,  Koné is central mod with mobility and good defensive duty

6 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I swear that I will finally just be about to fall asleep later tonight, and then I am going to remember this and crack up all over again, and it will be another 1/2 hour before I can sleep

Edited to add: I think it is so funny (to me at least) because he got the weight on the ball perfectly right. Harder, and it would have been a cheap shot, worthy of a red. Softer, and he might not have gotten DePaul to bite on the theatrics, but that was just right. 

Ah yes, If Shaffelburg is the Maritime Messi, I am thinking Rodrigo DePaul is the Argentinian Asswipe

1 minute ago, eramosat said:

In respect of a post I tagged onto, here are my Copa America Canada All-Stars:

#1 - Bombito and Cornelius

#2 - Crepeau

#3 - Sheff

I guess that makes sense if your rating is who most overachieved vs. expectations. Otherwise probably Staq, then Davies, then Crepeau, then David, then Cornelius, then Shaf, then AJ for me. But so many guys had a good tournament, it is hard to choose.

I think it was a good performance by the team. We competed against conmebol teams including the best team in the world. We also have a young team that hasnt hit their prime yet

These type of tournaments with this level of competition is what we need to move up to the next level. Hopefully the next friendlies are against top tier teams

we still got one more game left against one of the two best teams in this tournament. It will be a good test for us. 

shaffellburg was probably the best player for Canada, at least for me .. Alphonso davies was probably a let down for Canada, the expections were set prettt high for him and i dont think he delivered. At the sametime, i dont think this team depends on him as much. I think he would be much better playing higher up on the field,  but thats just a personal opinion. The backline was strong , we finally found the two center defenders. 

up front larin was also a letdown, i was expecting much more from him, im wondering if playing 1 forward would be better for us 

Crepeau - Not much he could have done on either goal and was not particularly tested otherwise.  Was very nervous with our keeper situation going into this tournament based on club form but I head into our final game this weekend much relieved.  I suspect St Clair may get the start on Saturday.

Davies - Not his best game but was required to defend for large parts of the game and unfortunately left injured as the game opened up late where he may have shown better going forward.

Cornelius - I thought he was quite good and consistent once again.  Kamal performed admirably during WCQ but he seems light years behind Cornelius current form.

Bombito - He's going to be a stud.  Especially once he gets rid of his mental lapses that he has periodically throughout the game.  Fell asleep on the first goal.

Johnston - Pleasantly surprised with how he has come around the past couple weeks.  Perhaps also a bit responsible for allowing Julian in the massive gap between him and Bombito.

Shaffelburg - Started off great but faded quickly.  Also think Davies is not able to be his best self going forward with Shaf ahead of him.

Eustaquio - Thought he started off great but soon faded a bit.  Still think he was overall good out there.

Kone - Had a few lazy passes but overall one of our best players today.  Looks incredible running with the ball at his feet.  Unlucky on his clearance that lead to the 2nd goal.  Ceiling still so high.

Laryea - Once again, not one of his best performances.  Has really struggled to be a difference maker that were used to.  Perhaps it's the level of opponents but I'm also willing to accept he's hardly played in the past 8 months.

Larin - Did a lot of the small things right again including defensively, hold up play and passing.

David - Quite poor by his standards but he's still my guy up top.  Marsch is going to have to figure out him and Larin partnership up top.

Osorio - I thought he was quite good once again today.  Extremely happy and surprised with his performances.  He may not be around in 2026, but he's sure making a push to be there.

Ahmed - Started off poor but quickly became one of the better players on the field by the end.  Was quite happy with his performance but I also think Argentina laid back to end the game.

Choiniere - I thought he was okay.  Showed some promise and I look forward to seeing him get some significant minutes on Saturday.

Millar - He was involved in a lot of the attack late but I wouldn't say it was great appearance for him again.

Tani - Hopefully he can start putting them away and I'd like to see him get the start on Saturday.  I do think the game opened up later when Argentina laid back but he was still able to cause chances and unwanted chaos for their backline.  Seems to be in the right places and quite dangerous when presented with chances.

Edited by Corazon

46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bizarre how posters you never see in the CanPL subforum when CanPL games are happening suddenly act like they are massive fans of the league. It shouldn't be a surprise that Estaquio would do that. His older brother Mauro is an assistant coach at York United.

Bizarre how posters you never see in this thread only turn up if the CPL is mentioned... 

29 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

Funny that we were the "dirtiest team in the tournament" according to the media yet consistently put up with that shit

That was some dirty work by the Argintina player

Funny.  No surprise to me but can't believe the number of casuals I've talked to over the last week or two who've commented on how "bitchie" the SA teams are.  And what you can still get away with in CONMEBOL.

I think seeing the EUROs and the Copa in such close proximity contributes to that perception.

4 minutes ago, rick10 said:

I think it was a good performance by the team. We competed against conmebol teams including the best team in the world. We also have a young team that hasnt hit their prime yet

These type of tournaments with this level of competition is what we need to move up to the next level. Hopefully the next friendlies are against top tier teams

we still got one more game left against one of the two best teams in this tournament. It will be a good test for us. 

shaffellburg was probably the best player for Canada, at least for me .. Alphonso davies was probably a let down for Canada, the expections were set prettt high for him and i dont think he delivered. At the sametime, i dont think this team depends on him as much. I think he would be much better playing higher up on the field,  but thats just a personal opinion. The backline was strong , we finally found the two center defenders. 

up front larin was also a letdown, i was expecting much more from him, im wondering if playing 1 forward would be better for us 

Yeah for me for Canada a few things have to change 

A)Bombitó is not the best there you need someone better there next ti Cornelius 

B holding midfielder behind Eustaquio and Koné 

C Larin or David as #9

D) Simon Colyn as #10

E) someone as left back so Alphonso Davies can impact games ,  he looks very contained.  Not useful for Canada .

12 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Doesn't matter ,  this fellow is your through and through # 10.  

David doesn't "feel it " and Koné doesn't have it ,  Koné is central mod with mobility and good defensive duty

The fact that we’re allowing an Argentinian to come on here and troll us saying a Eerste Divisie player is a what we are missing is a joke. 

Buddy not the time. Take a hike for a couple weeks

6 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Funny.  No surprise to me but can't believe the number of casuals I've talked to over the last week or two who've commented on how "bitchie" the SA teams are.  And what you can still get away with in CONMEBOL.

I think seeing the EUROs and the Copa in such close proximity contributes to that perception.

Pretty shocking is right.  South American football is quite aggressive relative to other competitions but for someone who watches football regularly, everything Argentina did out there is no different than what I watch on a daily basis around the world.  I'm shocked at the people being shocked by this.  Lack of knowledge of many fans, are part of the pains of growing our fanbase, I suppose.

Sidenote: As great of a player that De Paul is, he is over the top in any competition, club or country.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Fullback said:

The fact that we’re allowing an Argentinian to come on here and troll us saying a Eerste Divisie player is a what we are missing is a joke. 

Buddy not the time. Take a hike for a couple weeks

I know my football ,  a #10 is out there who cares the division but the final product 

Enjoy 

Not trolling just sensible football,  buddy 

ad8c277b571c11059486a8c58226c249.jpeg

Just now, Corazon said:

Pretty shocking is right.  South American football is quite aggressive relative to other competitions but for someone who watches football regularly, everything Argentina did out there is no different than what I watch on a daily basis around the world.  I'm shocked at the people being shocked by this. 

Sidenote: As great of a player that De Paul is, he is over the top in any competition, club or country.

Chile and Peru were aggressive and reckless with their persistent fouling. Argentina didn't need to be aggressive (although the Montiel challenge on Davies was very bad) because they were in such control and had the referee in their back pocket. 

The utter shamelessness of De Paul, alongside a few others, in his diving and histrionics is something I don't see often in world football.

12 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I guess that makes sense if your rating is who most overachieved vs. expectations. Otherwise probably Staq, then Davies, then Crepeau, then David, then Cornelius, then Shaf, then AJ for me. But so many guys had a good tournament, it is hard to choose.

for sure, this rating is based on something other than overall effectiveness.

call it...closing  the BIGGEST gap to overall top notch play.

Staq is awesome, undeniably our best player, and most important.  But also no question, he's the starter.

By contrast...Bombito andCornelius showing what they did?  That's + 0.1 on a national ranking scale...and maybe a couple more+0.1s.  It was a tremendously wonderful tournament for those 2, and Canada fans should be dancing because of their results!

Just now, Fullback said:

Please ban this guy. No other forum in the world would tolerate a troll this obvious coming to gloat after a win.

No, I'm not gloating or whatever you say is your opinion I have an entitled opinion too,  

Not trolling I Apologise if your perception has mistaken you.  But I'm sincere with my expression.  

1 minute ago, Fullback said:

Please ban this guy. No other forum in the world would tolerate a troll this obvious coming to gloat after a win.

He liked my post that said "Double Post" after I originally double posted a comment.  I don't even know what to think about that.

Honestly, I feel totally fine with the result, a little disappointed we couldn't make Argentina sweat more, but it has been such a great run it is hard to complain, and just seeing the improvement in our game from the first time vs. Argentina to today was encouraging.

But if you did need some cheering up, consider re-watching the highlights of the USA's most recent Copa semi-final appearance.