Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's weird but I'm not nervous or hardly even thinking about this game at all. This is 100% house money in my mind. I had a huge emotional outpouring after Kone scored the winning penalty, and now I just feel zen. Anything we get from here on out is 100% bonus. Probably not a winning mentality but here we are.

I will still be disappointed and upset if Canada loses by more than 2 without scoring themselves, but it is possible (and likely) for Canada to produce a performance we can be proud of without getting a result. 

As for the mentality, it's fine for fans like us to have, but I have no doubt the players will be thinking differently.

46 minutes ago, red card said:

Takeover of Times Square again.

The English chant,  they won't win anything in our life span.  

But the Labour party won !! So I like the English again !!

25 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's weird but I'm not nervous or hardly even thinking about this game at all. This is 100% house money in my mind. I had a huge emotional outpouring after Kone scored the winning penalty, and now I just feel zen. Anything we get from here on out is 100% bonus. Probably not a winning mentality but here we are.

Exactly the same mindset for me.   I know I will be twitchy as hell come game time but we are in the bonus rounds at this point.  I really considered the Venezuela game the big one in terms of showing we belonged.   Now playing the defending world champions in the semi finals really isn’t something I am investing a ton of mental health into (insofar as a loss won’t be crushing since it is such a high probability outcome).  

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Exactly the same mindset for me.   I know I will be twitchy as hell come game time but we are in the bonus rounds at this point.  I really considered the Venezuela game the big one in terms of showing we belonged.   Now playing the defending world champions in the semi finals really isn’t something I am investing a ton of mental health into (insofar as a loss won’t be crushing since it is such a high probability outcome).  

Same here. I want to see a more complete performance today than we saw the first time we played them. That's all. What does that look like? Keep our shape--bend, don't break--for the full match. Cut down our needless giveaways by 80%, at least. Create as many chances as we did last game. Bonus points if we convert one of those.

Beyond that, I know we'll see a gutsy, gritty, and determined effort from the lads. Argentina plays physically, but not nearly as physically as we saw from Peru and Chile. I think this is to our advantage. 

If we are a tough "out," there is always a chance of a good thing happening.

The Yank media doesn't want us to win and that is good fuel for us.  This match has vibes of ABC's Jim McKay calling the Cosmos-Caps game and then the subsequent 1979 Soccer Bowl vs the Rowdies but worse was his colour guy, Paul Gardner, who hated the Caps then and 21 years later hated our Gold Cup victory in a really negative write up he did in World Soccer magazine.  

Neither semi is on legacy Fox tv, just FS1:  was it orginally scheduled to be on the former and then changed when "U-S-A!" got bounced at the group stage and unfancied/unwanted us got through?

3 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

Is there anyone in this thread going to the game tonight that is from Saskatchewan? If so PM me! I am a reporter with 650 CKOM and 980 CJME and we'd love to do an interview with somebody about it.

A friend just texted a bit ago asking me about Shaff.  He is being interviewed by CBC tomorrow morning and wanted to make sure he had some intel on Maritime Messi.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PastPros said:

I appreciated this one...

FB_IMG_1720546922452.jpg

Someone needs to replace the Iraqi stadium fart attack scene with Argentina flags and Saddam for Messi 

Edited by SpursFlu

Watching the Spain-France match right now, 16 year old Lamine Yamal scores a beauty of a goal from outside the box for Spain.

One thing I would love to see from our boys tonight is occasionally testing Emi Martinez with shots from distance if they get a chance.

Never know what could happen with a well placed shot on target; could surprise Martinez with a goal, could ding it off the post/crossbar and in, it could rebound back into the box for Larin/JD/Shaffelburg to pounce on, a clear Argentinian handball in the box, a corner kick for us......

The difference tonight could very well come down to just lifting your head up and ripping one at goal.

Posted (edited)

An Argentine friend of mine from Mendoza in NY to see the match just sent me this photo of a small group of obvious Voyageurs drinking in  what appears to me to be a small bar in a shopping plaza now. Any ID's of our reps? I like the black hockey helmet the younger guy is wearing!

v.thumb.jpeg.4a1b8a0e2999ae079a4e5090388751f4.jpeg

Edited by beachesl