Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

Happen to be in NYC with my family but wont be able to get to the game ($350 x 4 is a bit of a stretch unfortunately). Any recommendations for a good place to watch the game? we are in mid-town on the east side. 

21 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The reffing in Canada's matches has been inconsistent and confusing but I don't think, on the whole, Canada has been disadvantaged. Perhaps in the quarter final match, but not in the group stage.

I think the reffing has been poor throughout the whole tournament. I’m not much into conspiracies but the fact that Argentina weren’t able to face Uruguay/Brazil/Colombia until the final due to 1st/2nd place group teams staying on the same side of the bracket and the final is in Miami seems suspicious. Hard Rock is fine, but there’s better stadiums. It just happens to be located in the biggest Argentinian diaspora in the US and where Messi lives. 

4 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Happen to be in NYC with my family but wont be able to get to the game ($350 x 4 is a bit of a stretch unfortunately). Any recommendations for a good place to watch the game? we are in mid-town on the east side. 

Legends at 33rd and 5th is a great soccer bar. Right by the Empire State Building too if you're inclined for some pre-game family sightseeing.

Or if you want to rub some salt in some American wounds you could go to the AO's home bar Smithfield Hall (25th between 6th and 7th) and tweet a pic to Alexi and Clint😜

20 minutes ago, goleafs67 said:

Legends at 33rd and 5th is a great soccer bar. Right by the Empire State Building too if you're inclined for some pre-game family sightseeing.

Or if you want to rub some salt in some American wounds you could go to the AO's home bar Smithfield Hall (25th between 6th and 7th) and tweet a pic to Alexi and Clint😜

Awesome! Thanks 

31 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I would recommend 1 ticket at $350, a spa day for your wife, and a suitable bribe for the kids.   

11 hours ago, ensco said:

I would never want to tell someone else how to feel, but for me: I always felt that the Gold Cup win was a bit tainted by the fact that Colombia just couldn’t have felt like they had much at stake. (I know the knocked the US out along the way, but it is still how it felt to me. ) Kind of like today when you hear guys tell the cameras how gutted they are about getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup… sure.

The win against that Mexico team along the way - that Mexico team was more of a powerhouse than the current edition - and how it happened, the two late goals - was for me a bigger win in that tournament,  than the final.

Tainted? lmao

Posted (edited)

Reading the major Argentine dailies, Clarín and La Nación, both seem to think De María will start, Alvaréz up top, Paredes back in the line-up---oddly, the same guys who started against us might return. In general, Argentina football journalism is light years ahead of Mexican, say, which is very immature and simplistic. The Argentines play well and, I would dare say, are some of the most articulate and well-considered analyzing the game as well.

In an article in La Nación, the journalist Diego Mazzei breaks down the match-up, the first group stage meeting, pretty interesting and very balanced I'd say: "Argentina, and the lessons left by Canada. What to do and not do against a team that pushed Argentina in the debut"

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/futbol/argentina-y-las-lecciones-que-le-dejo-canada-lo-que-no-debe-hacer-ante-un-equipo-que-lo-puso-en-nid08072024/

The smiles and relief do not take away a nervous feeling in the Argentine team. They have already returned to a known refuge, in a remote place in New Jersey, where any fans who arrive, after traveling a long ways to get there, cannot go beyond a distant fence that prevents any contact. A strategic point to reset a team that has taken off on a familiar flight and that rarely in this Copa América has shown the impetuous walk of the great champion. There were flashes, almost reflex acts, in a group phase from highest to lowest in terms of demand. Until the first hand to hand came and… the abyss was just there. Ecuador showed them the precipice. That is why Lionel Scaloni, who did not enjoy the epic classification thanks to the hands of Dibu Martínez, took note.

Along this path, the start was not comfortable for Argentina either. In Jesse Marsch, Canada has an obsessive and intelligent coach who is trying to strengthen a generation with the potential to do much more than simply compete. And they will see each other again. Nineteen days will have gone by this Tuesday, at 9 p.m. in our country, when Argentina meets the Canadians again. That time it was in Atlanta, now it will be at MetLife, where Scaloni's team agonizingly defeated Chile. What lessons did that debut against the North Americans leave for Scaloni? What mistakes did Argentina make that it should not repeat? What strengths does Canada have to hurt us?

1) Shots against a compact opponent. That night the state of the field was in the spotlight. The application of natural grass on the original synthetic turf left the terrain difficult for the passing game that Argentina usually has, which repeatedly resorted to a script of vertical and direct balls from the center backs or cross deliveries behind the backs of the Canadian center backs. But it was not just the field of play that compelled the team to adopt this resource almost systematically. Canada became so compact when they did not have the ball that the space for the Argentine midfielders was drastically reduced. Di María, Messi and Julián had their opportunities on that stage. When, on the other hand, Argentina opted for its identity of associating passes, the two goals arrived.

2) The right defensive side. Argentina had a first half that was not without suffering, and the biggest deficiencies were on the side of Nahuel Molina. The match with Ecuador showed the same flaw. But it is not only the responsibility of the Atlético de Madrid footballer – we will have to see if he remains in the team or if Gonzalo Montiel enters in his place. There is a malfunction that leads the right back to be left without support and in inferior conditions when the rival groups players together to progress through that sector. Canada did it with its best weapon: Alphonso Davies. The one from Bayern Munich teamed up with Millar and even the elusive Jonathan David joined the triangulation. It was the Canadians' most interesting offensive argument. For Tuesday, Millar will not play; In his place will be the fast Jacob Shaffelburg, the revelation of the team.

3) Pay attention to the steering wheel that comes off. Canada has a leading forward who, although he has not been scoring, is dedicated to creating spaces for the arrival of teammates. Argentina suffered it with David – a French football figure – and with Eustaquio, whose header was notably blocked by Dibu Martínez when the match was 0-0.

That match there were several players who did not start against Ecuador. Julián Álvarez was the center forward, and could return after Lautaro's poor performance in the quarterfinals. Julián played a good game against the Canadians thanks to his deployment of pressure and the diagonals to offer himself as a passing option. The other is Leandro Paredes, who handled himself well in the axis, a place where Argentina has not found been ticking with Alexis Mac Allister.

As always, there are positions that are out of the question. The center backs will continue to be Cuti Romero and Lisandro Martínez, and Nicolás Tagliafico will remain at left back (Marcos Acuña played in the debut against Canada, was too isolated, and was therefore harmless in his attacking forays). Alexis Mac Allister would regain his place as an insider on the left, which he fulfilled efficiently in his debut.

Lionel Messi, who arrived with just enough against Ecuador and had an opaque performance, is expected to regain some more confidence and mobility thanks to the rehabilitation he has been carrying out.

Finally, there are possibilities that Ángel Di María will return, after not getting any minutes against Ecuador. In a difficult context, Di María has the capacity for individual resolution that Nicolás González has not shown until now, which would leave him his place in the attack.

Canada was Argentina's first obstacle in the Copa América, and the 2-0 of the albiceleste made up for several of the imperfections from then. Almost three weeks have passed and there are elements to take into account and not repeat. Above all, for a team that has reached these semifinals less with the total football that took it to the top than with skill and mystique, with saving individualities and hierarchy in key moments.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Well, we are pretty much doomed now. 

So this fellow is the jinxy one ?

Like our former president very rich entrepreneur and businessman from his mother side oligarchy family of Spain , Mauricio Macri ,  whenever he goes Argentina loses same when he was the president of Boca Jr's and mayor of Bs As city capital 

34 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

how much work do y'all think you'll get done today? 

It's weird but I'm not nervous or hardly even thinking about this game at all. This is 100% house money in my mind. I had a huge emotional outpouring after Kone scored the winning penalty, and now I just feel zen. Anything we get from here on out is 100% bonus. Probably not a winning mentality but here we are.