Copa America: Canada vs Argentina - Tuesday, July 9th - 8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific - NYC area

Posted (edited)

Canada vs Argentina
Copa America, semi-final
Tuesday, July 9 2024
8pm Eastern / 5pm Pacific
MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey (
New York City area)

Broadcast in Canada:
CTV 2
TSN 1, 3 & 4
RDS
1050 AM (TSN radio, if you can't get to a TV!)

Broadcast in the USA:
Fox Sports 1

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canmnt-announce-2024-copa-america-roster/
Since the roster was announced Junior Hoilett is out through injury and has been replaced by Joel Waterman
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1802385651251179939
Tajon Buchanan is out, as is leg was broken during practice.
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1808539878361067708

Canadians that have played over 95% of possible minutes in this tournament so far:
Bombito
David
Davies
Eustáquio
Johnston
Crépeau (GK)

Canadians that haven't played a single minute yet in this tournament:
Bair
Choinière
De Fougerolles
Hiebert
Piette
Waterman
McGill (GK)
St. Clair (GK)

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
🟨 Cornelius
🟨 Shaffelburg

Weather:
28°C and partly cloudy

Referee:
TBD

Note:
• There will be no additional time. In case of a draw after 90 minutes + stoppage time, we go straight to penalties. (Chapter 4 , Article 26)
https://copaamerica.com/pdf/CA2024-Reglamento-2024-06-15-es.pdf

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Posted (edited)

Stating the obvious - but in the pantheon of Canada Soccer wins- that W against T&T to get us into this tourney is/was massive.

Do we play the calibre of friendlies ( Dutch and French) if we are not in Copa?

This experience in Copa ( obviously again !)  Crazy to think, we were this close to missing out the tourney. Larin with a massive goal and Shaff ( foreshadowing  this tourney performance ) to close it out 

Edited by Markoaleks

Let's say sake of argument we lose to Argentina 🇦🇷 on Tuesday just for the sake of argument, I would be okay with a loss. If only because of the fact that we get to play in the 3rd/4th place game so either way either scenario is good for us as a national team going forward especially from the Men's program perspective especially now that we are 2 years away from hosting a World Cup in our backyard. This Copa America does wonders for us because it will inspire more dual national players to want to play for Canada 🇨🇦 but also the fan base in our country will multiply exponentially.

Not to mention it will inspire little boys and young men at every level in the sense of if they can do that for the country, then I can too one day.

1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Stating the obvious - but in the pantheon of Canada Soccer wins- that W against T&T to get us into this tourney is/was massive.

Do we play the calibre of friendlies ( Dutch and French) if we are not in Copa?

This experience in Copa ( obviously again !)  Crazy to think, we were this close to missing out the tourney. Larin with a massive goal and Shaff ( foreshadowing  this tourney performance ) to close it out 

I don’t think we get Marsch without the tournament, nor the friendlies.

I hope for this lineup we would see:

--------Tani----David--------

Shaff----Staq-----Oso-----Laryea

Davies---Derek--Bomb---Johnston

--------------Crepeau-----------

I switched out Larin not only because he's struggling but I think having someone be able to stretch the old slow small back line of Argentina will be key to us getting a goal early. Shaffelburg needs someone else to run with. 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

There’s no way France and the Netherlands make the Euro semifinals without those friendlies against us… coincidence I think not!

Good one.

But one other detail I think we can extrapolate, for them, is that France could not score against us and in fact has serious problems scoring against everyone. So they were actually ripe for that scoreless draw; or again, our holding them scoreless was maybe not that unusual.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Let's say sake of argument we lose to Argentina 🇦🇷 on Tuesday just for the sake of argument, I would be okay with a loss. If only because of the fact that we get to play in the 3rd/4th place game so either way either scenario is good for us as a national team going forward especially from the Men's program perspective especially now that we are 2 years away from hosting a World Cup in our backyard. This Copa America does wonders for us because it will inspire more dual national players to want to play for Canada 🇨🇦 but also the fan base in our country will multiply exponentially.

Not to mention it will inspire little boys and young men at every level in the sense of if they can do that for the country, then I can too one day.

There's one other benefit and it probably is the most important. Worst-case scenario we lose our last two games, CSA gets 8 million USD which is probably 35 billion Canadian. If we still have more wins there will be more gold bullion poured into CSA's coffers.

Final position USD
Group stage 2 million
Quarterfinals + 2 million
Fourth-place + 4 million
Third-place + 5 million
Runner-up + 7 million
Winner + 16 million

I think Tani is a potential game changer here. I don't know what it is but in the limited minutes he got out there everytime I focus on him I'm always finding myself shouting to get him the ball. He just makes great runs into spaces. There's just something about him and whatever it is, it's giving me the same vibes I had about Kone when he played his first Canada games.  

I hope Jesse has the balls to do something about the attack. Cause it's been so many games now that it's not just about luck anymore. There is a clear pattern. Larin might be good at scoring against teams like T&T, but he ain't it for top teams we are trying  to become like.

Posted (edited)

Are those cumulative, though?  Or, are they "+"  as in if you reach stage X as your high point, you will get +Y in total for reaching that milestone?  Meaning, winner receives 2 + 16, not 2 + all the amounts including 16 = 36million.  I think it can't be cumulative.  If I'm right, we stand to get minimum 2+4 = 6million for 4th place, not 2 + 2 + 4 = $8million.  What do the regs say?

Edited by shorty

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Are those cumulative, though?  Or, are they "+"  as in if you reach stage X as your high point, you will get +Y in total for reaching that milestone?  Meaning, winner receives 2 + 18, not 2 + all the amounts including 18.  I think it must be the latter.

If we finish 4th (meaning we lose our last two games) we get 8 M. If we finish 3rd we get 9. If we finish 2nd we get 11. And if we win we get not only the cup but 20 M in the cup.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

If we finish 4th (meaning we lose our last two games) we get 8 M. If we finish 3rd we get 9. If we finish 2nd we get 11. And if we win we get not only the cup but 20 M in the cup.

Are you sure?  Would it not be:

$2 + 2 for the losing 1/4 finalists

$2 + 4 for the 4th place

$2 + 5 for the 3rd place

$2 + 7 for the finalist, and

$2 + 16 for the champion?

That's how I read it.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shorty said:

Are you sure?  Would it not be:

$2 + 2 for the losing 1/4 finalists

$2 + 4 for the 4th place

$2 + 5 for the 3rd place

$2 + 7 for the finalist, and

$2 + 16 for the champion?

That's how I read it.

Here's the article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/copa-america-prize-money-how-much-winner-runner/19acb22573dd52c98da5bd6b#:~:text=In total in 2024%2C there,will add another %242 million.

"....In total in 2024, there will be $72 million for the 16 participating teams. All of them will receive $2 million for being part of the tournament and from there, they will increase their purse according to their progress in the competition.

Teams who make it out of the group stage will add another $2 million. The team that finishes in fourth place will win $4 million, while third place will receive $5 million and the runner-up will claim $7 million...."

Edited by Sal333

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

I still think I might have the correct interpretation.  That article does not say the 4th place team will earn an additional $4million.  Not 100% unambiguous though, I have to say.  Thanks for the link.

15 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Messi does not worry me, Di Maria he is the one of top concern.

Agreed, but it is not even clear he'd start. I've seen a lot of Argentine sites saying they are lacking wide play and he should start.

In fact, Scaloni has been criticized because Argentina are not putting away games, every single match has needed to go deeper into a second half, or penalties, to be a clear win.

37 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I think Tani is a potential game changer here. I don't know what it is but in the limited minutes he got out there everytime I focus on him I'm always finding myself shouting to get him the ball. He just makes great runs into spaces. There's just something about him and whatever it is, it's giving me the same vibes I had about Kone when he played his first Canada games.  

I hope Jesse has the balls to do something about the attack. Cause it's been so many games now that it's not just about luck anymore. There is a clear pattern. Larin might be good at scoring against teams like T&T, but he ain't it for top teams we are trying  to become like.

Tani should start for us going forward post Copa America and Cyle Larin at this point should be a super sub