Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

5 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Yeah another interesting topic. Here's my list (but who knows if all those players will be on the field after 90 minutes)

1. Davies, the captain and has something to prove after WC2022*
2. Eustaquio
3. David
4. Johnston
5. Osorio

*only my first choice for a pk shootout, not in game situation

I would go with (in no particular order):

1. Davies

2. Larin

3. David

4. Stacks

5. Kone

Not Davies, for me.  And not sure about Osorio either. I’m not in the anti-Osorio camp, but I seem to recall he missed in the CCL. 
David, Eustaquio for sure. Cornelius I think (former striker, pretty calm). Then whoever has the most ice out of Millar, AJ, Larin or whichever striker replaces him. I suspect Kone would be too much in his own head, like Davies would. Possibly Bombito in the same category as Davies and Kone but not sure. 

Players on the Copa squad who have taken a penalty in match at professional level for club and/or country (does not include shootouts, data from transfermarkt):

Jonathan David 21/26

Cyle Larin 4/8

Theo Bair 3/5

Alphonso Davies 2/3

Mathieu Choiniere 2/2

Jacen Russell-Rowe 2/2

Liam Millar 2/2

Jonathan Osorio 0/1

This is obviously incomplete as it does not include shootouts (Oso for example I know has taken some for TFC), NCAA (pretty certain Kamal took some for Syracuse), or youth levels (I remember seeing Millar take some more, his 2/2 is from Premier League 2).

I'm pretty sure our only recent shootout was the 2023 Gold Cup quarters vs the US where Kamal and JRR scored, while Vitoria, Fraser, and Brym missed. Vitoria scored a last-minute PK to send that one to ET. Vitoria's PK record in matches is 19/22 -- I always thought he should be Canada's taker, not David (or Davies).

5 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Prediction of line up.  

Davies Cornelius bombito johnston

kone staq

millar         Laryea

david larin. 

shaf to come in for laryea

oso for kone

Tani for larin

ali for millar near the end of we are up. Or jrr if need a goal.

last minute subs - miller or bair depending on score  

I like, but I also really dislike pre-planned changes! 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, costarg said:

I like, but I also really dislike pre-planned changes! 

These are not preplanned changes because I hate those as well. It’s my prediction of how JM will manage the game. 

We can pretty much assume shaf or millar will get subbed in.  Same with tani.  Same with one of oso/kone. maybe miller to hold a lead.

after those guys, jm doesn’t use a lot of his bench.  

Edited by Bigandy

3 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Yeah another interesting topic. Here's my list (but who knows if all those players will be on the field after 90 minutes)

1. Davies, the captain and has something to prove after WC2022*
2. Eustaquio
3. David
4. Johnston
5. Osorio

*only my first choice for a pk shootout, not in game situation

Surely larin over Johnston 

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

These are not preplanned changes because I hate those as well. It’s my prediction of how JM will manage the game. 

We can pretty much assume shaf or millar will get subbed in.  Same with tani.  Same with one of oso/kone. maybe miller to hold a lead.

after those guys, jm doesn’t use a lot of his bench.  

Ya, I get it.  I just really hope Marsch is not into that style of coaching in real tournaments, we're beyond that now.  Friendlies and warm-up matches in one thing, the real deal is a whole other.  

A tie game at 60 or leading/losing by 2 should result in different strategies.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know if it's too much of a departure from how we've lined up so far, but I'd like to find a way to get all three of Kone, Eustaquio and Osorio (or Choiniere) in to the starting lineup.

I'm with you on this one.  Just not sure it's the time for major formation and stylistic changes.  Don't go fixin what ain't broke!

I'd love to shore up the midfield and I really don't see the value of two strikers when you look at the stats and the product, but not sure it's the time for it.

9 hours ago, Soro17 said:

It was a strange thing watching Turkey score two goals off corners the other day. I had almost forgotten it was allowed! Davies delivery is pretty much abysmal - overhit, underhit, pretty much everywhere except where it should be. I was hoping with Marsch that it would be the end of Davies on corners, but alas. 

My guess is, 3 coaches in, that we don't have anyone reliably better. We've seen hoillet be alright, but he's not here, and some staq and he gets some chances.

What's most disappointing is the lack of any compensation for that through creativity. Just keep sending it in to the box hoping for a miracle

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Ya, I get it.  I just really hope Marsch is not into that style of coaching in real tournaments, we're beyond that now.  Friendlies and warm-up matches in one thing, the real deal is a whole other.  

A tie game at 60 or leading/losing by 2 should result in different strategies.

Agreed but we don’t have options to change much.

if larin is tired and we are winning or losing, tani comes on.  When laryea tires, it’s shaf.  Not sure. Kone for oso (or vice versa). If we had both millar and shaf on the bench then obv millar is better defensively but we don’t have that kind of depth

1 minute ago, costarg said:

I'm with you on this one.  Just not sure it's the time for major formation and stylistic changes.  Don't go fixin what ain't broke!

I'd love to shore up the midfield and I really don't see the value of two strikers when you look at the stats and the product, but not sure it's the time for it.

David has essentially been playing as a midfielder much of the time, and doing a good job of it. I guess if you want to play with three true midfielders, you can't start both of David and Larin, and Marsch (and most coaches) prefer a setup that gets their best guys on the field for most of the match.

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

Players on the Copa squad who have taken a penalty in match at professional level for club and/or country (does not include shootouts, data from transfermarkt):

Jonathan David 21/26

Cyle Larin 4/8

Theo Bair 3/5

Alphonso Davies 2/3

Mathieu Choiniere 2/2

Jacen Russell-Rowe 2/2

Liam Millar 2/2

Jonathan Osorio 0/1

This is obviously incomplete as it does not include shootouts (Oso for example I know has taken some for TFC), NCAA (pretty certain Kamal took some for Syracuse), or youth levels (I remember seeing Millar take some more, his 2/2 is from Premier League 2).

I'm pretty sure our only recent shootout was the 2023 Gold Cup quarters vs the US where Kamal and JRR scored, while Vitoria, Fraser, and Brym missed. Vitoria scored a last-minute PK to send that one to ET. Vitoria's PK record in matches is 19/22 -- I always thought he should be Canada's taker, not David (or Davies).

Kamal made a couple penalties in the Leagues Cup, or whatever it's called, when he played for Miami. He was very good on both.