Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I gotta say, I’m loving the talk that we’re underdogs and placing all this pressure on a side that really has never been considered favourites in Venezuela. It’s totally unwarranted IMO but we’ll take it all day. 

I mean, look at our players, their club levels and what we’ve achieved as a NT with this core. If anything, our guys are probably offended looking over at their squad and being considered underdogs. 

What have we achieved as a NT with this core?

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

What have we achieved as a NT with this core?

2022 World Cup qualifying, 2023 nations league final, 2024 copa America QF…

By standards of teams like us and Venezuela that’s a pretty damn good run. We have bigger game experience. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Going through their previous results over the past few years, Venezuela has never really beaten a team they shouldn't have beat (I.e., Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, Italy), and play the rest of their CONMEBOL opponents well, winning some and drawing others. 

They're probably at or around our level, so we can assume it'll be a close game decided on a goal. If I were to wager, I'd say a scoreless draw or 1-0 was most likely.

I think we've shown we have the athleticism and will to keep a game close, so it's going to come down to how clinical we can be in front of goal because I don't expect a game with a lot of chances.

20 hours ago, narduch said:

When Qatar won their bid they lied and said they could air condition outdoor stadiums. And I mean where the players are playing. Not the seats.

Once it came out that this wasn't true the World Cup was moved from summer to Winter. 

That was the deception 

Ah gotcha.  Because it was cold in the stands some days.  Had to wear pants!

Some of the problem is that we are not even converting in areas that don't even require dynamic creative attacking plays: ie crosses, corners, free kicks.

How many corners did we have against Chile/Peru?

Though I will say that I noticed that some of wingers and players that take free kicks/corners are not always delivering the best balls. Davies in particular tends to overhit crosses and corners. Though some of that could be the smaller pitches. 

Edited by mpg_29

19 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Some of the problem is that we are not even converting in areas that don't even require dynamic creative attacking plays: ie crosses, corners, free kicks.

How many corners did we have against Chile/Peru?

Though I will say that I noticed that some of wingers and players that take free kicks/corners are not always delivering the best balls. Davies in particular tends to overhit crosses and corners. Though some of that could be the smaller pitches. 

It was a strange thing watching Turkey score two goals off corners the other day. I had almost forgotten it was allowed! Davies delivery is pretty much abysmal - overhit, underhit, pretty much everywhere except where it should be. I was hoping with Marsch that it would be the end of Davies on corners, but alas. 

2 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

It was a strange thing watching Turkey score two goals off corners the other day. I had almost forgotten it was allowed! Davies delivery is pretty much abysmal - overhit, underhit, pretty much everywhere except where it should be. I was hoping with Marsch that it would be the end of Davies on corners, but alas. 

Davies looks like he could have good deliveries if he took some power off.

I would feel better if we had more balance btw defence/attack. Glad Marsch has solidified things at the back, but teams are still getting lots of opportunities to score. Rondon is still a beast physically and he could have had a hattie in one group  game. I thought they played well in the 2 games I watched. Don't think we can shut them out, so we need to score.

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Prediction of line up.  

Davies Cornelius bombito johnston

kone staq

millar         Laryea

david larin. 

shaf to come in for laryea

oso for kone

Tani for larin

ali for millar near the end of we are up. Or jrr if need a goal.

last minute subs - miller or bair depending on score  

That's brave playing without a keeper.

I watched the Mexico Venezuela match in 25 on YouTube this morning.

First of all, It's sad what has become of Mexico. More than a lack of talent, they just seem devoid of belief.

Example: One of the Rondon chances (can't recall if he converted), the man was left wide open in the box. There were 3 Mexicans in the frame, but none seemed interested in actually marking him. We definitely seem to have a higher commitment level to defending and I can't imagine we'll give up chances that easy.

Secondly, I am just not that fearful of this Venezuela. Good side? Yes. A team we should fear? I don't think so. Different style, but they seem a little better than Panama, or maybe around the same level. A team that can beat us, but a team we should expect to win against. They'll rightfully think the same, of course.

Did anyone watch all 3 of their group games?

9 points is 9 points, but they beat an Ecuador that has been kind of disappointing in this tournament. They then squeezed by a poor Mexico side, converting their PK while Mexico missed theirs. Otherwise, that game seemed pretty balanced based on what amounts to a 25 minute highlight package. So 2 wins from 2, going into a match against a Jamaica which was already eliminated.

I don't know, seems like in many ways we could be their toughest challenge of the tournament so far, with how athletic some of our players are. What say you guys?

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

9 points is 9 points, but they beat an Ecuador that has been kind of disappointing in this tournament.

Worth remembering that Enner Valencia was sent off early (by our ref in the Chile match) and they still only won 2-1.  Ecuador probably more than matched them with 10 men until the goals against. Scored one of their own first and then maybe the keeper does better on both of the goals. 

That game was chippy as well.

Generally I agree we should beat them.

And hoping Ecuador show something of their quality tonight, might not matter but I always liked Valencia and Caicedo even if the latter makes stupid club choices. 

In the scenario of a pk shootout, am I the only one thinking replacing Crépeau for St. Clair at the last second would be a great move? Stats are hard to find, but in MLS + National team St. Clair has 4 saves in 13 attempts and Crépeau only has 3 in 23. Also, DSC is 1,91m and Crépeau 1,80m (and I think the first is more athletic), could play in the head of Venezuelans shooters... 

1 minute ago, MauditYvon said:

In the scenario of a pk shootout, am I the only one thinking replacing Crépeau for St. Clair at the last second would be a great move? Stats are hard to find, but in MLS + National team St. Clair has 4 saves in 13 attempts and Crépeau only has 3 in 23. Also, DSC is 1,91m and Crépeau 1,80m (and I think the first is more athletic), could play in the head of Venezuelans shooters... 

I think the bigger issue or question is who would take our PKs, after David?

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I think the bigger issue or question is who would take our PKs, after David?

Yeah another interesting topic. Here's my list (but who knows if all those players will be on the field after 90 minutes)

1. Davies, the captain and has something to prove after WC2022*
2. Eustaquio
3. David
4. Johnston
5. Osorio

*only my first choice for a pk shootout, not in game situation