Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

22 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I watched TV over antenna in Vancouver until I moved away six years ago.  Unfortunately, there are only a handful of places left in Canada where you can still do that.

What you talkin' about Missa Drummond?  You can watch TV OTA almost anywhere in Canada.  Do you mean receiving some American channels?

11 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Over or under 40, you might be surprised by how good antennas are these days. I live in the SF Bay area so your results may vary, but a $30 HD antenna that plugs straight into your TV gives me live local CBS/FOX/NBC/ABC/Univision. That covers a ton of live sports (like NFL, Euro/Copa/Gold Cup, some hockey). One of the best, most cost effective and easy to set up purchases I've ever had. 

I'll bet you could get at least 30 channels. 

Just one thing for any others who might be considering OTA (Over the Air) TV there is no such thing as an HD antenna.  They may call themselves that for marketing purposes but any antenna your grandparents may have used does the job just fine.  If you were close enough to a transmitter a paper clip or beercan could do the trick.  Please don't use a paperclip, it's likely a hazard.

Also don't be fooled by the lies of 100 mile ranges and the like.  A properly installed outside antenna has an effective range of 75 miles at the best, then you run into curvature of the earth issues.

The best reception comes from an antenna mounted outside, the next best option would be one in the attic obviously pointed in the direction of the transmitters.  Unless you are relatively near the transmitters, the least effective are the indoor flat antennas.

I actually have one because I only have access to a few channels and they are in short range.

The best thing about OTA is unlike cable etc, the signal are not compressed, you get a better picture.

I envy you having that much access to my hobby. :)

12 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Over or under 40, you might be surprised by how good antennas are these days. I live in the SF Bay area so your results may vary, but a $30 HD antenna that plugs straight into your TV gives me live local CBS/FOX/NBC/ABC/Univision. That covers a ton of live sports (like NFL, Euro/Copa/Gold Cup, some hockey). One of the best, most cost effective and easy to set up purchases I've ever had. 

Just curious if you have tried LocalNow or Roku which are both available free online in the US, plus Tubi, Pluto TV and Plex Live TV (which are available in both Canada and the US)

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just curious if you have tried LocalNow or Roku which are both available free online in the US, plus Tubi, Pluto TV and Plex Live TV (which are available in both Canada and the US)

I think I tried Pluto TV, but the main reason I have the antenna is for NFL. I find the NFL does everything in its power to ensure I can't get out of market games for free, so the antenna is a good alternative that seems to work. I just have one of those flat indoor antennas. So easy to set up and good picture quality too.

What you talkin' about Missa Drummond?  You can watch TV OTA almost anywhere in Canada.  Do you mean receiving some American channels?

I am mystified by this comment, but maybe things have changed recently.  After the mandated switch from analog to digital TV signals, stations stopped transmitting all over Canada except for the largest metropolises.  Here in Sudbury, the only channel I got when I tried five years ago was CHCH from Hamilton.  I'll try again sometime just to see if I can pick anything else up, but I hold little hope of that happening.

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

I am mystified by this comment, but maybe things have changed recently.  After the mandated switch from analog to digital TV signals, stations stopped transmitting all over Canada except for the largest metropolises.  Here in Sudbury, the only channel I got when I tried five years ago was CHCH from Hamilton.  I'll try again sometime just to see if I can pick anything else up, but I hold little hope of that happening.

That is not true.  Yes, in a few markets in Canada, some CBC analog transmitters were not replaced, and likely some other stations were also lost.  I live in one of those CBC loss areas.  Aside from that I can still receive all the channels I have received for decades: CTV/Global/SRC. and you can't describe where I live as a metropolis nor is it near one.

I was just looking at TV Fool and it looks like Sudbury still has CTV and Global which aren't that far from the CHCH transmitter.

But it all depends on what kind of antenna setup you have and what are the external issues etc.  If you are using one of those cheap indoor flimsy antennas and it isn't amplified, you might not get anything.

I am getting all my channels with one of these and I am 10, 17 and 19 miles away from the transmitters.  If you live in Sudbury proper you are much, much closer.

0BopTXt.jpeg

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

I think I tried Pluto TV, but the main reason I have the antenna is for NFL. I find the NFL does everything in its power to ensure I can't get out of market games for free, so the antenna is a good alternative that seems to work. I just have one of those flat indoor antennas. So easy to set up and good picture quality too.

You must be close to the transmitters, those indoor antennas are not great (I have one) but it sounds you're like me and it gets what you want.  In my case, if I had more channels available I would get a proper antenna setup but three channels is all i got.  :)

That is not true.  Yes, in a few markets in Canada, some CBC analog transmitters were not replaced, and likely some other stations were also lost.  I live in one of those CBC loss areas.  Aside from that I can still receive all the channels I have received for decades: CTV/Global/SRC. and you can't describe where I live as a metropolis nor is it near one.

I was just looking at TV Fool and it looks like Sudbury still has CTV and Global which aren't that far from the CHCH transmitter.

But it all depends on what kind of antenna setup you have and what are the external issues etc.  If you are using one of those cheap indoor flimsy antennas and it isn't amplified, you might not get anything.

I am getting all my channels with one of these and I am 10, 17 and 19 miles away from the transmitters.  If you live in Sudbury proper you are much, much closer.

0BopTXt.jpeg

Okay, thanks for the info.  I can confirm that I get a blurry MCTV and a clear Global channel over my antenna.  So, I concede that you are right, I have more than 1 available OTA channels in Sudbury.  Too bad I'm not interested in any of them.  I would have liked getting the CBC and TVO, but those don't reach here.

25 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Okay, thanks for the info.  I can confirm that I get a blurry MCTV and a clear Global channel over my antenna.  So, I concede that you are right, I have more than 1 available OTA channels in Sudbury.  Too bad I'm not interested in any of them.  I would have liked getting the CBC and TVO, but those don't reach here.

You can get CBC through CBC GEM, a very good website for Live streams and On Demand.  For anyone else out there you will have less problems if you create a GEM account rather than signing in through Google or Apple.  Signup is free and easy.

The site seems to be going through some changes right now and some things might not work but stay tuned, as they say.

On 7/9/2024 at 9:15 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Anybody recognize themselves, lots of Canadians visible and talking

The poster was 2 sections over from the Category 1 tickets (parents) from Canada Soccer; you saw them when he pans over his right shoulder on the Canada goal. The Cat 2 tickets were directly above that in the 200 level; Cat 3 not in picture. 🙂

During the Venezuela goal I got a reading of 110dB with a lot of silent people around me. Not Oilers level (118dB last month) but still rather boisterous - the video doesn't lie. 

I don't recall seeing the guy in the Hockey Canada jersey shown during the shootout, but pretty much everyone else wearing Canada in this video was around either before or after the match enjoying a beverage. Except Crosby...how did this guy miss interviewing Sid? lol