Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

2 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

So your national football team matches aren't showed free to air for nationwide PUBLIC CHANNEL  FOR ALL viewers as IT IS  in Argentina and Also IN Ireland over RTE ?

THATS WEIRD ABD WILD  STUFF 

We don't even have that for hockey playoffs, which is slightly different I guess. 

Posted (edited)

Well it's mostly true that our Canada Soccer matches (men & women) are restricted to pay-television, and that the rights holder exclusively shows all but the biggest matches...and has a few thousand subscribers. Not millions (like 6.1 million for our two pay channels). I presume there are more people watching our national teams in the United States on streaming service Paramount+, than there are Canadians watching our own team on the rights holder. Not surprisingly that channel does not have the rights to World Cup, Copa, Euros, Olympics or anything outside the control of Canada Soccer.

However...the reason I wrote this is to say that Canada's Copa America games ARE on free to air TV (called "CTV2", a channel few know of but it is free and easily found). Canada's pro hockey teams were in fact on free to air TV every night except Sunday's (CBC) during the playoffs, which also offers free streaming of those same games. And about 80% of households in Canada either have traditional pay TV subscriptions (71%) or paid streaming services. So it's not completely insane. Just mostly insane most of the time.

Edited by CanadianTraveller

Posted (edited)

And I’m under 40! Antenna + IPTV the most cost efficient way to watch TV by a mile these days imo.  Especially with the movement to streaming which is always delayed which the antenna avoids.

Aside from that I do agree that hopefully this leads to more national team games on network TV (although I realistically I don’t see it).

Edited by theaub

2 hours ago, red card said:

Average of 1.7m for Vinotinto match across TSN/CTV2/RDS. Another Copa high but not much higher than Chile match. But peak of 2.6m and reach of 4.35m did move up more higher. Peak and reach for Canada's World Cup matches were about 2x higher. 

About 200k average watched on RDS which is also a new Copa high. So about half the gains from Chile match came from French language viewers. On TVA Sports, the overall average for Euros so far is between 100-150k.

For some context, this is somewhere between the average audience for the non-Leafs teams in the 1st round of the NHL playoffs (1-1.3M) and the average audience for the Dallas Stars-Edmonton Oilers Western Conference final series (2.2M). 

1 hour ago, theaub said:

All of Canada’s games are on CTV2 which is accessible by antenna.

Of course !!  Now we are talking ,  Canada is the people's country of the world !!! 

Public policies Nation!!

It felt so wrong if you didn't broadcast in the public service channel!! 

1 hour ago, nolando said:

I'd love to see a compilation, short clips of the faces made by all the people under 40 reacting to the word antenna used in the same sentence as watching a sporting event.

Is the best way.  The more tech we've got the more complicated things like watching a footie match become

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Well it's mostly true that our Canada Soccer matches (men & women) are restricted to pay-television, and that the rights holder exclusively shows all but the biggest matches...and has a few thousand subscribers. Not millions (like 6.1 million for our two pay channels). I presume there are more people watching our national teams in the United States on streaming service Paramount+, than there are Canadians watching our own team on the rights holder. Not surprisingly that channel does not have the rights to World Cup, Copa, Euros, Olympics or anything outside the control of Canada Soccer.

However...the reason I wrote this is to say that Canada's Copa America games ARE on free to air TV (called "CTV2", a channel few know of but it is free and easily found). Canada's pro hockey teams were in fact on free to air TV every night except Sunday's (CBC) during the playoffs, which also offers free streaming of those same games. And about 80% of households in Canada either have traditional pay TV subscriptions (71%) or paid streaming services. So it's not completely insane. Just mostly insane most of the time.

A bit old data on some things. Both TSN & SN were below 6m subs at the end of last year. 2 SN channels are below 5m. Mediapro sold Canada men/women home friendlies rights to Fox Soccer along with CPL/Cdn Championship.

CTV2 is only over the air in parts of Ontario and BC. It's on cable in some provinces. CBC Gem's streaming of NHL playoffs was ended by SN this year. Number of households with paid linear tv is below 50%.

Edited by red card

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, theaub said:

And I’m under 40! Antenna + IPTV the most cost efficient way to watch TV by a mile these days imo.  Especially with the movement to streaming which is always delayed which the antenna avoids.

Aside from that I do agree that hopefully this leads to more national team games on network TV (although I realistically I don’t see it).

In Ireland there's a law that football matches must be broadcasted for free as a national social  interest.  Something that Argentina and others have followed.   

The national team of your country is the people's team!

Bielsa talked about it the other day ,  he said the poor can't watch football anymore and that was the little hope and satisfaction since their lives are restricted of other benefits " 

Edited by JAVIERF

3 minutes ago, red card said:

A bit old data on some things. Both TSN & SN were below 6m subs at the end of last year. Mediapro sold Canada men/women home friendlies rights to Fox Soccer along with CPL/Cdn Championship.

CTV2 is only over the air in parts of Ontario and BC. It's on cable in some provinces. CBC Gem's streaming of NHL playoffs was ended by SN this year. Number of households with paid linear tv is below 50%.

Futbollibre 

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I am on the other side of that and haven't had an antenna since I left home many many years ago. 

Over or under 40, you might be surprised by how good antennas are these days. I live in the SF Bay area so your results may vary, but a $30 HD antenna that plugs straight into your TV gives me live local CBS/FOX/NBC/ABC/Univision. That covers a ton of live sports (like NFL, Euro/Copa/Gold Cup, some hockey). One of the best, most cost effective and easy to set up purchases I've ever had. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Over or under 40, you might be surprised by how good antennas are these days. I live in the SF Bay area so your results may vary, but a $30 HD antenna that plugs straight into your TV gives me live local CBS/FOX/NBC/ABC/Univision. That covers a ton of live sports (like NFL, Euro/Copa/Gold Cup, some hockey). One of the best, most cost effective and easy to set up purchases I've ever had. 

Unfortunately, when I was a kid in rural, even central, Alberta my pickings were pretty slim. We were excited when we got one that brought in - if fuzzily - the Red Deer stations as well as the Edmonton ones.  Heady halcyon days.

The closest bit of the States to me now is a whole lot of open space in Montana.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With virtually no other big sports to compete with the numbers Tuesday are going to be insane. 

We will be leaving money issues behind when Blue cooks up some more sponsorship $ based off this tournament. 

The Jays don't start their game until what will be late in the 2nd half of our game. Big ratings and $ indeed.

17 hours ago, nolando said:

I'd love to see a compilation, short clips of the faces made by all the people under 40 reacting to the word antenna used in the same sentence as watching a sporting event.

This is how my family watched hockey until I was about 10 and I'm under 40

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

This is how my family watched hockey until I was about 10 and I'm under 40

I've had the same experience but have ten years on you probably. Safe to say you are unique.

39 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Anybody recognize themselves, lots of Canadians visible and talking

e

The gualtemalteca lady,  that's why some argies we despise many Latinos ,  no self love not love for their countries ,  and a heavily culturized mind.  Shameful.  

Long live Arturo Jauretche and John William Cooke!!! 

I watched TV over antenna in Vancouver until I moved away six years ago.  Unfortunately, there are only a handful of places left in Canada where you can still do that.