Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

43 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Agreed.

What surprises me is that they focus so much on how Canada has played, rather than what they are capable of. I guess that's what all pundits do, though.

e.g. "if they play that way against Argentina, they will get exposed." No shit. Their tactics will obviously be different against other opponents. 

e.g. Canada wastes their chances, therefore they will always be wasteful.

e.g. "Not enough from Alphonso." His role has been different and obviously the coach has given him instructions. It doesn’t mean he won't play him differently. 

Etc, etc

But this is exactly the saltiness we're talking about though. Canada making it to the semis is a massive achievement for this program, the best we have ever done outside the Gold Cup, and the fact that most of the panel was harping on what Canada was doing or has done wrong is the clearest indication that those particular panellists are bitter. They don't seem to have any sense of a proper perspective. It's too bad that they no longer seem to be having that Spanish-based British journalist who looks like a modern-day vampire (with his giant natural fangs) calling in to provide a neutral and unbiased perspective - he said earlier in their coverage that he'd been impressed by Canada and thought that if they made it to the Q-F it would be a major achievement. Had he been on the segment, he might have at least provided some balance.

Moreno I will excuse (even though I normally find him to be a condescending twat) given that he is Venezuelan and Gomez, outside of the Bombito comment, didn't come across as bitter. But I would love it if Atiba responded to Kasey Keller today on TSN's coverage that one of the reasons why Canada hasn't won the Gold Cup since 2000 (which Keller decided to bring up) is because when Atiba smoked the ball past him in 2007, it was doubly incorrectly and impossibly called offside and we didn't have VAR to rescue us from officiating incompetency. But in any case, I am too happy to be too bothered too much by this.

Lol after Kone scored the winning penalty they showed two Canadian guys celebrating in the stands but come on guys we just won a penalty shootout show some more enthusiasm, one of those guys looks like he is just barely celebrating holding the Canadian flag lol .

24 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Lol after Kone scored the winning penalty they showed two Canadian guys celebrating in the stands but come on guys we just won a penalty shootout show some more enthusiasm, one of those guys looks like he is just barely celebrating holding the Canadian flag lol .

Everyone who was at the game represented Canada.  They came to Dallas and wore the colours proudly.  
I received a message from the Peter Augruso, the CS President, and he said the players were really happy to get the support from the Voyageurs who were there and they wanted to thank us all.  

Even if let's say we lose to Argentina 🇦🇷 again we can still play for 3rd/4th place against Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia or Panama depending on what happens. But if we can do unthinkable and get to the Final beating Argentina, think about what that does for us not just as a footballing nation but think about what that does for our national team program especially in the build up towards 2026.

34 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Everyone who was at the game represented Canada.  They came to Dallas and wore the colours proudly.  
I received a message from the Peter Augruso, the CS President, and he said the players were really happy to get the support from the Voyageurs who were there and they wanted to thank us all.  

As someone who was there, the Canadian support generally did an amazing job of breaking through several times, given that it was generally swallowed up in the Vinotinto noise vortex. 

3 minutes ago, saladroit said:

as time goes on, i think i'm preferring the frenetic chaos pace of copa america over the staring contest style of the euros

The Germany Spain game was pretty good yesterday but generally I agree.

Feels like teams are just scared by the occasion and want to stay in their shape and not concede.

You have credit the Swiss for their play but a lot has still been on the counter from a very organised set up.

Question for you all. Post game broadcast said that Shaffelburg was onlY the 2nd player from NS to play for our men's side. Been following the team for a long time and cannot recall who it would be. As an aside, amazing to see the spine of our team represented by Francophone players.

4 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Question for you all. Post game broadcast said that Shaffelburg was onlY the 2nd player from NS to play for our men's side. Been following the team for a long time and cannot recall who it would be. As an aside, amazing to see the spine of our team represented by Francophone players.

Ante Jazic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Jazić

One thing that stood out for me after the tying goal, was even in the middle of all the intensity, the daft ref and all, I was totally fine with Canada losing.  It was just such an amazing feeling to be really competing at a major tournament.  Even the WC didn't make me feel close to what I felt in last nights game.  The main thing going through my head during the WC was "I just wish we had a coach at the proper level for this".  The formations/systems were just bonkers and it just made me wonder "what if?".  

Losing in last nights conditions would have been acceptable and honorable, while also being incredibly enjoyable.

I really don't mean any disrespect towards Herdman, I know the horse is dead.  It just feels sooo good to see this generation of talent playing well and in a sane fashion.  I still feel we have some way to go in individual play and that gets me even more excited.