Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

My guess is Shaffleburg gets the start against Argentina but I'm not sure it's as straightforward decision as people are making it out to be. 

The game last night was very open and suited Shaffleburg's style, but against Argentina the game is going to be very different. It's going to be compact with less space. His strength's will be neutralized a bit like they were against Chile imo.

9 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Osorio didn’t do shit. Was a complete pylon. Against Argentina, Kone better start. It’s time to give Choinere those minutes off the bench. 2nd time MLS all star and can’t get a minute in this tournament? Oso the fraud needs to fuck off now.

The other poster was wrong. Oso didn't date just your sis. He dated your whole family.

10 hours ago, spitfire said:

Liam is a great penalty taker..shit happenes..hes missed 1 in his whole pro career.. this is what I mean about even and honest bullshit on this forum...staq missed anyone slating him? not sure if you heard messi missed last game..

Can't stand this board sometimes..

Shaff played amazing ..Liam came on did his job had an amazing chance that the keeper save..a bit indesive  but put a shift in..Fottball is a confidence game ...

No matter what the WIN is most important..

Move on

I remember a certain Mr. Baggio for Italy sending a penalty much higher over the crossbar to lose the World Cup final to Brazil.  

Combining the two bolded phrases above, shit happens on this board sometimes.   The difference is, kicking a ball past a keeper with all that pressure on you is a lot harder than intentionally typing crap about our own players.

Liam's played brilliantly, and I'm really liking how both he and Shaff are playing with Phonzie.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Jeepers, a lot of sour grapes from the ESPN crew.  

It's funny that basically first time in history(outside of the 2000 Gold Cup I guess) where Canada has been doing better than US in a major tournament and they reveal their true disdain. They see us a lesser deserving bastard sibling.

I also think that the idea that the least-latino/soccer-driven-identity culture in this hemisphere doing well isn't exactly popular to many in the industry...

Edited by mpg_29

10 hours ago, spitfire said:

Liam is a great penalty taker..shit happenes..hes missed 1 in his whole pro career.. this is what I mean about even and honest bullshit on this forum...staq missed anyone slating him? not sure if you heard messi missed last game..

Can't stand this board sometimes..

Shaff played amazing ..Liam came on did his job had an amazing chance that the keeper save..a bit indesive  but put a shift in..Fottball is a confidence game ...

No matter what the WIN is most important..

Move on

You have everything to be proud of, Liam worked his tail off when he came on. He does a lot of things defensively that people may not notice. There was a Venezuelan fast break after I think a corner and it was Liam who tracked back across the pitch on the right to stop the attack. Things would’ve been super dicey otherwise. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Our players are also set to be on a massive stage against you know who, lots of club eyes on them.  A good club won't make a transfer solely based on one game or even one tournament but it may start some new scouting and it may be the straw that broke the camel's back in a good way for others. 

Wishing France a little extra luck in the Euros.  That result gave us a seed of confidence I think. 

Xavi Milei,  the radical,  Will be in the stadium on Tuesday.  The worst from the worst. 

And a former goalie

Edited by JAVIERF

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It's funny that basically first time in history(outside of the 2000 Gold Cup I guess) where Canada has been doing better than US in a major tournament and they reveal their true disdain. They see us a lesser deserving bastard sibling.

I also think that the idea that the least-latino/soccer-driven-identity culture in this hemisphere doing well isn't exactly popular to many in the industry...

That's the rioplatense teams buddy! 

Argentina and Uruguay have nothing to do with the Latino macho thing you got used to up there.  

Milei is meeting Bolsonaro today

Edited by JAVIERF

39 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

My guess is Shaffleburg gets the start against Argentina but I'm not sure it's as straightforward decision as people are making it out to be. 

The game last night was very open and suited Shaffleburg's style, but against Argentina the game is going to be very different. It's going to be compact with less space. His strength's will be neutralized a bit like they were against Chile imo.

Yeah Canada won't be able to impose a high speed, no midfield zone ,  one time passes to rush things and tempo.  

We will impose our rythim,  slow it down,  play it on the deck,  yesterday's game suited teams like Canada Germany ,   England is playing likeCroatia  Argentina and Portugal now.

Control de game slow it down and get the job done,  this game ain't NBA 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, JAVIERF said:

Argentina AFA is pushing for the European referee for the semi final 

Do you agree? 

Italian refs are usually really good.

So yes.

But he is reffing today. Colombia v Panama. 

I doubt he gets selected for Tuesday 

Edited by narduch

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, kacbru said:

Had a game and then was on bar duty in the club. There's no coverage of Copa in NZ, but this is the first game I've missed - with all the dodgy streams I've been using, my wife is questioning why there are so many women near me that want to fuck right now. 

If anyone knows of highlights that are not geoblocked, they would be much appreciated. 

Sorry, the commentary's really annoying.

Edited by vancanman

I listened to the ESPN FC thing while walking the dog this morning and honestly didn't think it was too salty.

The comment about Bombito may have been over the top but he is in fact still very raw and learning on the job and makes the occasional mistake. But we are all hoping this is just abit of growing pains

3 hours ago, shortofbrillant said:

The absence of penalties and red cards doesn't mean it was a well officiated match. Those mechanisms are in place for a reason. When they aren't used in situations where they should be then its a poor officiated match.

That being said, the majority of matches in Conmebol are poorly officiated. The diving and the physicality is just over the top and the refs are left to just try to hold on to control.

I totally agree, especially with the over the top physicality part. There was more hitting in this game than most hockey games. I'm shocked they didn't find a reason to give us a red, a penalty or take away the goal, so I'm not upset compared to what could have been.

8 hours ago, narduch said:

I noticed the USA were semi finalists at the 2016 Copa they also hosted.

They really believe they should be there instead of us.

This really burns them.

I don't know which feels better. Moving on to the semis or our advancing burning them?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, narduch said:

I listened to the ESPN FC thing while walking the dog this morning and honestly didn't think it was too salty.

The comment about Bombito may have been over the top but he is in fact still very raw and learning on the job and makes the occasional mistake. But we are all hoping this is just abit of growing pains

Agreed.

What surprises me is that they focus so much on how Canada has played, rather than what they are capable of. I guess that's what all pundits do, though.

e.g. "if they play that way against Argentina, they will get exposed." No shit. Their tactics will obviously be different against other opponents. 

e.g. Canada wastes their chances, therefore they will always be wasteful.

e.g. "Not enough from Alphonso." His role has been different and obviously the coach has given him instructions. It doesn’t mean he won't play him differently. 

Etc, etc

Edited by PastPros