Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Yes, we know - now, any thoughts on the game or the win?

Yes, thank god, Kone was able to get in the game for that pylon and take that pen. You already know 0 for 5 from the spot Oso would have choked. LMFAO!!!!! 

Edited by anthony7

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Player ratings

Crepeau - 8: Two big saves in the shootout. I'm not sure how much blame I can assign to him on the goal against. Made every other stop.

Mostly on him.  No reason to be where he was and if he is in position, I guarantee you Bombito catches Rondon (could have done it when I watched him at West Brom) even after being bodied. 

Edit: But as I said up thread, massive redemption arc.

Disagree on some others but that's the big one. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Mostly on him.  No reason to be where he was and if he is in position, I guarantee you Bombito catches Rondon (could have done it when I watch him at West Brom) even after being bodied. 

Disagree on some others but that's the big one. 

I agree - Max needs to have some faith in Bombito - he knows he's the fastest guy in world soccer.  Unless you're sure  you're going to get there first, stay in your area.

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

The atmosphere tonight seemed exceptional - certainly not in our favour.  I also was really impressed by how we kept our composure throughout despite having lots of opportunities to be frustrated.  I think we deserved to win tonight, and we deserved to win in the 90.  

Question: had the referee booked the keeper when he disrupted the throw-in that ultimately led to the Rondon goal, would we have had a free kick?

I don't think so but these kind of goals are such weird occurrences and bound to very specific circumstances that if the ref had taken a moment to book him ods are that the goal would have been prevented via butterfly effect, if that makes sense?

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

The atmosphere tonight seemed exceptional - certainly not in our favour.  I also was really impressed by how we kept our composure throughout despite having lots of opportunities to be frustrated.  I think we deserved to win tonight, and we deserved to win in the 90.  

Question: had the referee booked the keeper when he disrupted the throw-in that ultimately led to the Rondon goal, would we have had a free kick?

Seemed one of the most egregious ref errors tonight no?

4 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Yes, thank god, Kone was able to get in the game for that pylon and take that pen. You already know 0 for 5 from the spot Oso would have choked. LMFAO!!!!! 

I think you're the only one laughing.  (The rest of us are wondering how drunk Uncle Tony keeps crashing the family party yelling the same obnoxious line over and over again.)

One thing that is clear is that this group of players is fully unmoored from complexes of years past.

I was certain we didn’t have the nerves to survive the penalties but the composure, self belief, and useful cockiness we saw from Bombito, Davies, Kone, Crépeau is an entirely new phenomenon for our NT.

20 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

I admire your dedication to the task.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The Shaffelburg yellow was an egregious error, either by the referee or his assistant or both.

The TSN panel made a brief reference to this, to the degree that Shaff did NOT appear to consult the ref asst before coming on.  So we need to accept that Shaff may have just gotten a bit too anxious to come on.

I'm drained.  The wife and kid finally got to see why I am always so excited, so committed to OUR TEAM.  I have told her the story of the 2000 gold cup and the coin toss and then the slow build up of confidence game by game, then unbelieving numbness on the golden goal and finally the pride that we won.  After the peru game i told her it was starting to feel like that, like we were getting some breaks (reds) and we had the skill to take advantage. 

So proud of the effort, all the individual duels the guys won against their opposite number (Johnsotn vs Soteldo was HUGE!!).  They never seemed rattled even with the deflating chip from damn near half, never lost faith, battled for each other....sounds corny but those guys make me proud to be Canadian.  And after the penalties, so articulate and genuine in their interviews.  WOW, just WOW.  Maybe tomorow I can complain about missed chances or players that didnt play well, but right now its all  love for this team.   If this doesnt win over a new generation of kids  and create CMNT fans for life like the 2000 gold cup did for me, I dont know what will.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

I'm drained.  The wife and kid finally got to see why I am always so excited, so committed to OUR TEAM.  I have told her the story of the 2000 gold cup and the coin toss and then the slow build up of confidence game by game, then unbelieving numbness on the golden goal and finally the pride that we won.  After the peru game i told her it was starting to feel like that, like we were getting some breaks (reds) and we had the skill to take advantage. 

So proud of the effort, all the individual duels the guys won against their opposite number (Johnsotn vs Soteldo was HUGE!!).  They never seemed rattled even with the deflating chip from damn near half, never lost faith, battled for each other....sounds corny but those guys make me proud to be Canadian.  And after the penalties, so articulate and genuine in their interviews.  WOW, just WOW.  Maybe tomorow I can complain about missed chances or players that didnt play well, but right now its all  love for this team.   If this doesnt win over a new generation of kids  and create CMNT fans for life like the 2000 gold cup did for me, I dont know what will.  

Love this. Feel like I wrote the first paragraph. 

Just now, sose said:
27 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree - Max needs to have some faith in Bombito - he knows he's the fastest guy in world soccer.  Unless you're sure  you're going to get there first, stay in your area.

Just now, sose said:
28 minutes ago, GasPed said:

In the Post game press conference Marsch said the goal was on him because he told Max to be high up off the line to  support the centre halfs

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

My wife said to me: damn you for getting me interested in this! lol

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know how many people watched that 2000 final, but I have to think the number tuned in tonight was about 10x higher.

Think its going to be huge. Its bad we let it go to pens. But the drama probably brought in more eyeballs. 

Just now, jonovision said:

don't know how many people watched that 2000 final, but I have to think the number tuned in tonight was about 10x higher.

If so, then it's about time. Even if you're not all gung-ho about supporting national teams, the amount of abuse this team has endured over the years should have gotten more attention.

More than straight supporting my country, watching a quality Canada side getting robbed constantly in Central America during WC qualifying, denied by awful officiating at Gold Cups and everyone around me calling the CMNT crap has made this all the more meaningful. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If so, then it's about time. Even if you're not all gung-ho about supporting national teams, the amount of abuse this team has endured over the years should have gotten more attention.

More than straight supporting my country, watching a quality Canada side getting robbed constantly in Central America during WC qualifying, denied by awful officiating at Gold Cups and everyone around me calling the CMNT crap has made this all the more meaningful. 

Our players are also set to be on a massive stage against you know who, lots of club eyes on them.  A good club won't make a transfer solely based on one game or even one tournament but it may start some new scouting and it may be the straw that broke the camel's back in a good way for others. 

Wishing France a little extra luck in the Euros.  That result gave us a seed of confidence I think. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, PastPros said:

Does anyone think we have seen Canada at their best yet (in this tournament)?

To me, that's the most remarkable thing. To make it this far without playing our best.

It's a good question. Obviously, no. But will our best be enough to beat Argentina? I am hopeful. I am. But I think it will likely have to be through penalties.